Eastside Hockey Manager - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Yeah you need to make a second GM if you want to maximize your AHL prospects' development (especially if the AHL affiliate is a shared one).

I don't bother myself with that nowadays, the game takes way too long as it is.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Yeah you need to make a second GM if you want to maximize your AHL prospects' development (especially if the AHL affiliate is a shared one).

I don't bother myself with that nowadays, the game takes way too long as it is.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Never bothered with coaching. Saves time and to me, adds to the challenge of finding the coaching staff that does what you want.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Also, to elaborate on my latest save...

Was fired from the Canucks after two years, had the first overall pick the first year and the second my second. Was let go about a week after FA the second year. Unemployed for two years, and then finally got a gig as the Stars' GM in 2019. They had just come off of a Finals appearance (lost in 6), but it was more of a cinderella run than anything.

Miss the playoffs barely my first year, and the second year was even worse. No goaltenders, defense was in shambles, and the forwards had plenty of talent but no defensive ability. Picked up Colin White and Patrick Bowman (both stud two-way centers), traded up for the first overall pick and took a defender, and traded as many assets as I could for Nedeljkovic. Missed the playoffs one last time but thankfully got another chance and got one more season.

We ended up winning the Cup and swept the awards, pretty much. Benn, Seguin, Honka, and Nedeljkovic took home virtually all of them that year. Next year, we end up with almost 120 points and win another Cup. And then another. Currently in my seventh season and working on a fourth straight Cup. I'm at 14-4-3 and riding a nine game winning streak. Contracts haven't been to difficult to balance, thankfully. Just keeping together the big four and that's been enough to seriously contend.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
I just traded 33 year old Ryan Johansen who has gone from a consistent PPG player to a 40 point 3rd liner over the course of the last 2 1/2 years to Vancouver for Garnet Boe, a 20 year old rookie with 1st line potential. Boe already has better offensive stats than Johansen and he was a beast for me in the World Juniors when he was eligible. It hurts to see a life time Blue Jacket like Joey go but he was basically a 6 million dollar 3rd line guy for me. He went from 104 points in 2020 to having 14 points in 52 games in 2025. Bummer.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
It seems to me as though no matter who your 3rd line center is, they always suck. I don't think my 3C has cracked 20 points once since I started playing and I've had guys like Girgensons, J. Staal, Vermette, and Laughton seeing time there.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
It seems to me as though no matter who your 3rd line center is, they always suck. I don't think my 3C has cracked 20 points once since I started playing and I've had guys like Girgensons, J. Staal, Vermette, and Laughton seeing time there.
My 3rd line C in my current game has usually been Nordstrom and he's been around 0.5 PPG, so I think it's matter of tactics.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Time for some early returns on the big trade today. Updated my DB and simulated through this season.

- Overall I think the deal accomplished what both teams set out to do. The Sens, with a bolstered defense (they also deal for Tyutin), managed to squeak into the playoffs as the 8th seed in the East with 98 points. The Leafs rode continued tanking to a 15th place finish in the East with 73 points and the 4th worst record in the league which gives them a good shot in the lottery of earning a precious Top 3 pick in the 2016 draft.

For the Sens

- Dion Phaneuf was used as a second pair defenseman. He logged the third most minutes on their blueline at 20:17 per game (behind EK and Methot). With less responsibility, he turned in a respectable 5 goals and 33 points in 82 games but more importantly, provided a physical presence with 120 PIM and managed a quality +15.
247e2d87896a41127d90dfbd23ecbaf4.jpg

- Matt Frattin actually found a full-time role in Ottawa as well as a 4th line left wing. He was pretty terrible though; 4 goals and 10 points in 77 games, -11 and a 6.68 player rating. Not sure why they kept feeding him ice time.
efd8ea03674b53fe4b6458b7a2b1f002.jpg

- Down in Bingo, Casey Bailey regained some of that sniper confidence that made him a hot-property as an NCAA free agent last off-season. He knocked in 29 goals to tie Matt Puempel for the Baby Sens' goal lead. He also cracked the season-end Sens Top 12 prospect list at #11, though at 25 years-old, his time on this list will be short-lived.
65307fc385d6409afcdf40aad054f606.jpg

- Cody Donaghey is signed to an NHL contract but spent the season on loan to Moncton in the Q where he was nothing special. Ryan Rupert was released and signed with Grenoble in the French league of all places.

For the Leafs (complete with their updated old-is-new-again logo!)

- Milan Michalek provided a decent secondary scoring option as a third-line winger with 17 goals and 37 points in 82 injury-free games. He was a +1 and had a solid 7.27 rating over the course of the year. His attributes are declining so he may have a hard time still being effective for 2016-17, as he is still under contract.
3f9adaad6ce12fbfc3ac74b44f34b1ad.jpg

- Jared Cowen suited up for 75 games on the Leafs' bottom defensive pairing, tallying 3 goals and 15 points. His -8 and 6.72 rating are indiciative of his limited abilities. He averaged 17:33 minutes per game. He was healthy scratched late in the season a few times for Martin Marincin.
2fca10b9a60012ec0f093580eda73ce5.jpg

- Tobias Linbderg was excellent for the loaded Marlies. He tallied 20 goals and 53 points but that was only 6th amongst Marlies forward, seven of whom had more than 52 points (Leivo, Kapanen, Soshnikov, Arcobello, Brown. Lindberg and Leipsic...Nylander played the season in the NHL). He only managed to place 11th on the year end Leafs' Top 12 prospect list but it's a pretty deep list so it's obvious he has potential.
f7000b0af013e263247ccf8d3ffbd52c.jpg

- Colin Greening was so useless that he was cut and signed with Dusseldorf in the DEL.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Also, to elaborate on my latest save...

Was fired from the Canucks after two years, had the first overall pick the first year and the second my second. Was let go about a week after FA the second year. Unemployed for two years, and then finally got a gig as the Stars' GM in 2019. They had just come off of a Finals appearance (lost in 6), but it was more of a cinderella run than anything.

Miss the playoffs barely my first year, and the second year was even worse. No goaltenders, defense was in shambles, and the forwards had plenty of talent but no defensive ability. Picked up Colin White and Patrick Bowman (both stud two-way centers), traded up for the first overall pick and took a defender, and traded as many assets as I could for Nedeljkovic. Missed the playoffs one last time but thankfully got another chance and got one more season.

We ended up winning the Cup and swept the awards, pretty much. Benn, Seguin, Honka, and Nedeljkovic took home virtually all of them that year. Next year, we end up with almost 120 points and win another Cup. And then another. Currently in my seventh season and working on a fourth straight Cup. I'm at 14-4-3 and riding a nine game winning streak. Contracts haven't been to difficult to balance, thankfully. Just keeping together the big four and that's been enough to seriously contend.

Got knocked out in the Conference Finals this following year, but won the Cup the year after that. Then proceeded to lose basically all of my depth (White and Bowman both left to FA and proceeded to get paid 19M combined).

Still have the core of Benn, Seguin, Honka, and Nedeljkovic together, but they eat up half of my cap alone. Benn's probably retiring after this season - he suffered an ACL tear that sidelined him for 8 months. Have about 20M in cap space going into the next offseason, so we'll do some damage. We also moved some older vets for two firsts, which both of are top 5 picks halfway through the season. Pretty happy with that.

And despite all of those struggles, we're still comfortably in a playoff spot. Not dominating the league anymore, but sitting at fourth in the conference with an eight point gap between us and a non-playoff spot.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Got knocked out in the Conference Finals this following year, but won the Cup the year after that. Then proceeded to lose basically all of my depth (White and Bowman both left to FA and proceeded to get paid 19M combined).

Still have the core of Benn, Seguin, Honka, and Nedeljkovic together, but they eat up half of my cap alone. Benn's probably retiring after this season - he suffered an ACL tear that sidelined him for 8 months. Have about 20M in cap space going into the next offseason, so we'll do some damage. We also moved some older vets for two firsts, which both of are top 5 picks halfway through the season. Pretty happy with that.

And despite all of those struggles, we're still comfortably in a playoff spot. Not dominating the league anymore, but sitting at fourth in the conference with an eight point gap between us and a non-playoff spot.

Yep, Benn retired a week after I made this update. Damn.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
So anytime I try to click on a scout my game instantly crashes...guess it's time to start a new playthrough

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Starting a new game with the Hurricanes...will post some screencaps and periodic updates. Not sure how long I will take this game but I enjoy reading everybody else's game histories so let's see where this goes. I'll be simming in 20 game chunks or so, playing only as GM.

Here's my initial team report:
8b89f1d3208810da9aa49911ae523377.jpg

- Goaltending: Current situation is not great...neither the declining Ward nor average Lack look like sure bets to lead me anywhere this year...but I guess I do have two NHL goalies. Help could be on the way with Nedeljkovic and Altshuller as my #4 and #9 prospects and another kid who might be good, Callum Booth.

- Defense: Faulk is a star (my team's biggest star) but Wiz is hurt and out for the year. That leaves me with a collection of ho-hum vets like Hainsey and Liles and promising up-and-comers like Hanifin (my #1 prospect), Pesce (#6), Slavin (#7) and Carrick (#11) plus Ryan Murphy and some decent lesser young depth with Biega, Jordan and Rissanen. How this depth works itself out will be key and with Fleury (#3) and McKeown (#12) also on the way, it could be leveraged in trades later on.

- Wingers: A lot of my wing production will hinge on Skinner's health. After him, there's a good, solid top 6 vet in Versteeg and the up-and-coming Lindholm. Beyond that, it gets fuzzy...much like on defense there are a bunch of limited vets and a bunch of nice looking youngsters...but not a lot of certainty. Nordstrom and Nestrasil are young NHL vets with size and good all around games but the upside is questionable. Phil Di Giuseppe (PDG) looks like a sniper in the making (#5 prospect) and may be thrust into a top-6 role early on. Brock McGinn (#10) is a more crash-and-bang winger. Of course, everybody is excited about Finnish phenom Sebastian Aho (#2), but we will have to wait at least another year.

- Centers: The best depth is here, with both Staals and Rask forming a formidable trio down the middle. The question will be whether to swing Eric out to the wing to balance things out and let Rask have a top-6 role. Derek Ryan, a vet of the Euro scene, has some nice offensive tools but not sure where he fits. Nicholas Roy (#8) is a tempting package of size and tools for the future and Lucas Wallmark, like Aho, is a youngster who should have a big role in a top European league this season.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Started a new season and quickly realized the Avalanche need to hire me as coach ASAP. I didn't even make any big trades. I think my biggest move was moving Rendulic to the RW of Duchene where Borna Rendulic went on to put up a 20G 47PT season and was a runner up to the Calder Trophy. My team managed to win the Cup with Brad Stuart in the line up. Swept the first 3 series and then won the Stanley Cup in Game 7 OT on home ice. Duchene scored the winner off of a Rendulic rebound.

Matt Duchene was named Conn Smythe winner as Varlamov was injured in Game 2 of the series. So yes, Reto Berra was the starting goalie of a Stanley Cup winning team. It was a crazy fun season that's for sure.

Iginla hit 80 points playing on the first line. Nathan MacKinnon hit 90 points in ~75 games to win the Art Ross Trophy. Both EJ and Barrie put up over 50 points as well. My top 6 forwards lead the team all season long and into the playoffs as well.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Started a new season and quickly realized the Avalanche need to hire me as coach ASAP. I didn't even make any big trades. I think my biggest move was moving Rendulic to the RW of Duchene where Borna Rendulic went on to put up a 20G 47PT season and was a runner up to the Calder Trophy. My team managed to win the Cup with Brad Stuart in the line up. Swept the first 3 series and then won the Stanley Cup in Game 7 OT on home ice. Duchene scored the winner off of a Rendulic rebound.

Matt Duchene was named Conn Smythe winner as Varlamov was injured in Game 2 of the series. So yes, Reto Berra was the starting goalie of a Stanley Cup winning team. It was a crazy fun season that's for sure.

Iginla hit 80 points playing on the first line. Nathan MacKinnon hit 90 points in ~75 games to win the Art Ross Trophy. Both EJ and Barrie put up over 50 points as well. My top 6 forwards lead the team all season long and into the playoffs as well.

Maybe Rendulic needs more of a shot in real life to get a chance in a top 6 role! Between that and Iginla turning back the clock 10 years, we'd be pretty good! :naughty:

Hows Rants doing in your game?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Maybe Rendulic needs more of a shot in real life to get a chance in a top 6 role! Between that and Iginla turning back the clock 10 years, we'd be pretty good! :naughty:

Hows Rants doing in your game?

He had a good year in the AHL 60 points in 80 games. I'm going to see how he does in training camp but I'm thinking about letting him stay in the AHL one more season.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
The much talked about pre-season EHM Top 10 lists are out for the 2015-16 season. Sure to cause much angst on HFBoards and other hockey discussion websites. Without further ado:

Top Goalies
349eb930138c46040350d5f09b8ea5eb.png

Top Defensemen
d452af4af82dfc3e5947b598da28f6e9.png

Top Centers
79766230ec6f9e834bba2a5455d431c8.png

Top Left Wingers
14aa1ae93822f72b7555aa0c737f5dd9.png

Top Right Wingers
961a521790d0ef561e9746e381bdf22a.png

Top Pospects
e9c713fbd02a79cc26179e39028e8d50.png

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
FYI I have released the first beta version of my EHM Editor here: http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/editor

It's still a work in progress, but you can edit most of the key things such as contracts, player/non-player attributes, teams, competitions, retired numbers, start year, etc. Currently data can only be edited; it is not yet possible to add or delete entries. Nor is it possible to edit things like league rules, etc (I haven't figured out the data structure yet). But still, it's a start. :)

Any bug reports, feedback, etc is very welcome.

EHM%20DB%20Editor%20v0.0.2%20003_zpsc2dnw2wf.png

EHM%20DB%20Editor%20v0.0.2%20001_zpsyxiv2sqq.png

EHM%20DB%20Editor%20v0.0.2%20002_zps0bjz6otm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad