GDT: Eastern Conference Quarterfinals Game 1: Your New Jersey Devils (WC2) @ Tampa Bay Lightning (1E)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camille the Eel

But he wasn't bad either, just average.
The whole team came out flat - or maybe tight is the word - not just Kinkaid. (And remember they should have had another on him earlier in the first, if some guy doesn't fan on an open net.

I was surprised at how little physical play the game had. From both teams. There was very little hitting. We didn't finish checks that were there to finish, but neither did they. I was surprised how little real intensity there was actually - especially after watching the level of both games last night - again neither team seemed very intense nor the fans in Tampa either. It didn't feel like a playoff game really - but it did pick up at the end.

Not our best game on defense, both by the defensemen and the team in our own end. Moore and Mueller misplayed that last three on two. Neither of them took anybody on the rush. They got tangled up with each other. The two first period goals, we just left guys wide open in the slot. We have to eliminate those mistakes.

Basically we need to come out with a great deal more focus and intensity. This is the least intense and least sharp effort we've had in weeks, but that was maybe inevitable after the run to 97 points followed by a five day layoff. And Tampa didn't seem a whole lot more focused (as I said) it's just they're a more disciplined team generally. It really did feel like a regular season game, that was the weird thing.

We can play with them. They are very beatable. I don't think they are a real cup contender unless they raise their play; but maybe they will be more intense also in game two. Too bad we spotted them a game tonight, but it's a learning experience.

I have a hunch Severson replaces Lovejoy actually. If we're not going to hit and neither are they, we could also work in Bratt maybe but I don't know for who.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Agreed. Unfortunately, average isn’t going to do it against Tampa. Goaltending is enormous in the playoffs, and only great teams can get by with average goaltending. The Devils aren’t one of them.
And Cory has been a below average goalie for two years, what makes you think he’s gonna do anything better? I mean, anything can happen in a few games, so it’s possible he finds his game, but I wouldn’t count on it. Outside of some hot months like December (which all poor goalies have), he hasn’t been able to find it for 100 games now.

Reactions: glenwo2

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
And Cory has been a below average goalie for two years, what makes you think he’s gonna do anything better? I mean, anything can happen in a few games, so it’s possible he finds his game, but I wouldn’t count on it. Outside of some hot months like December (which all poor goalies have), he hasn’t been able to find it for 100 games now.

Please find my post where I said Cory should start. I have literally posted 5 separate times since the game ended that Keith deserves the playoffs. This place is a mess.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Examples? I guess he made a pretty big save when Gourde beat him clean and the puck rolled off his stick..
The only goal I thought he could have had was the fourth goal, but it was tough with the rising screen from Mueller (?) and the Lightning guy. I don’t think even that screen was on purpose, it just kind of happened.

He might only allow two goals next game and both will be absolutely stinkers. I’ve beaten the save percentage drum for years, but it’s not always helpful in single game sizes or smaller sizes period. Sometimes a goalie plays poor on paper in a game, but looks fine on the eyes and vice versa. I’m not convinced he’s he a future starter or anything or that he’s even overall better than Cory, I was down on him more than anybody just two months ago, but a goalie switch right now is not in order.

Reactions: AveryQuietMan

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
The whole team came out flat - or maybe tight is the word - not just Kinkaid. (And remember they should have had another on him earlier in the first, if some guy doesn't fan on an open net.

I was surprised at how little physical play the game had. From both teams. There was very little hitting. We didn't finish checks that were there to finish, but neither did they. I was surprised how little real intensity there was actually - especially after watching the level of both games last night - again neither team seemed very intense nor the fans in Tampa either. It didn't feel like a playoff game really - but it did pick up at the end.

Not our best game on defense, both by the defensemen and the team in our own end. Moore and Mueller misplayed that last three on two. Neither of them took anybody on the rush. They got tangled up with each other. The two first period goals, we just left guys wide open in the slot. We have to eliminate those mistakes.

Basically we need to come out with a great deal more focus and intensity. This is the least intense and least sharp effort we've had in weeks, but that was maybe inevitable after the run to 97 points followed by a five day layoff. And Tampa didn't seem a whole lot more focused (as I said) it's just they're a more disciplined team generally. It really did feel like a regular season game, that was the weird thing.

We can play with them. They are very beatable. I don't think they are a real cup contender unless they raise their play; but maybe they will be more intense also in game two. Too bad we spotted them a game tonight, but it's a learning experience.

I have a hunch Severson replaces Lovejoy actually. If we're not going to hit and neither are they, we could also work in Bratt maybe but I don't know for who.

we started hitting towards the end and we really got into it for the last 30 minutes.

they won 5-2 with an EN. big deal. the first killed us.

there is no reason to think we wont claw our way back into this series. win on sat and this game does not matter. we got this thing.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
It's the same logic as NHL refs who call a penalty and embellishment on the same play. Should really be one or the other in most cases.

Again, this isn’t true. Very broadly, a goaltender who played good to great makes saves he wasn’t supposed to make and/or at big moments. A goaltender who was average makes the routine saves, but doesn’t make a difference in the game. He may also look shaky, fight the puck occasionally, get caught in odd positions, etc. A poor goaltending performance occurs when the goalie allows stoppable shots to get by him.

Keith falls into the average category tonight. He wasn’t the reason they lost, but he wasn’t all that good. He was just there.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Please find my post where I said Cory should start. I have literally posted 5 separate times since the game ended that Keith deserves the playoffs. This place is a mess.
You did say we need better than average goaltending and I think our only chance at better than average goaltending right now is Kinkaid.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

I have a hunch Severson replaces Lovejoy actually.

Very fair points, absolutely a learning experiences for everyone but the vets.

The physically came at the 21st minute of the 3rd period unfortunately. Tight is the word, and I think the word playoffs got in their psyche a bit out of the gate (for all the playoff newbies). Now that it is over (that initial we made it moment), they better get back to their game. Hynes has to match-up a better line to either shtudown palat and company, or take away their puck time................with offense.

Zajac can't cover two lines......

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The game would’ve been exactly the same with prime Marty in net. Literally, it would be 0% different. Kinkaid played well and didn’t let in one stoppable goal. He’s the starter and this game doesn’t change that. Goaltending didn’t play a role in this game.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
You did say we need better than average goaltending and I think our only chance at better than average goaltending right now is Kinkaid.

Yes, the Devils need better than average goaltending to beat Tampa. They are at a significant disadvantage in just about every metric. They will need to have a great PDO to win this series.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm sure it's mentioned a zillion times already but this noisemakers they handed out were annoying and take away from a good hockey atmosphere

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
Yes, the Devils need better than average goaltending to beat Tampa. They are at a significant disadvantage in just about every metric. They will need to have a great PDO to win this series.

they just need to do their thing while stepping up.

this whole narrative of 'playoff games are just another game' is hurting the team. dont know which leader decided to try this angle... but it wont work. we tried to play our game and tampa just steamrolled us in the first.

i know not many people here rely on the mental side of the game but it really sunk us tonight. if we had vets saying this was going to be different from any game they have ever played we might have had a chance.

this team has the skill to upset teams like this. they were overconfident thinking that they just had to play their game. they didnt come into this as underdogs.... they came in cocky. and got slapped.

but just like the devils do they bounced back. i dont see sat going the way this did.

and hynes.... stop wearing tampa blue.....

Camille the Eel

Anyway, we have no grounds for a goaltending controversy. After what Keith did, and how Cory's looked since January, it's Kinkaid's series to win or lose. Period. Plus he definitely wasn't the reason we lost this game. The turnovers, mistakes, blown assignments in our own end, puck watching by five guys while a Tampa guy walks in and scores on a backhand . . . that was all much more of a problem.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Again, this isn’t true. Very broadly, a goaltender who played good to great makes saves he wasn’t supposed to make and/or at big moments. A goaltender who was average makes the routine saves, but doesn’t make a difference in the game. He may also look shaky, fight the puck occasionally, get caught in odd positions, etc. A poor goaltending performance occurs when the goalie allows stoppable shots to get by him.

Keith falls into the average category tonight. He wasn’t the reason they lost, but he wasn’t all that good. He was just there.

I agree with this. We'd all know if he had a good game because goals 1 or 2, or goal 4 gets a save instead of netting. That's why average fits. He didn't let in a poor goal, but didn't save their bacon as much as he could have.... and that could have drastically changed the complexion of the game, particularly 1st period goals.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm sure it's mentioned a zillion times already but this noisemakers they handed out were annoying and take away from a good hockey atmosphere

To be fair I still remember our thundersticks fondly in 2003 lol...but yes obviously those things could be annoying if you held them up wrong and hit someone else with them.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
To be fair I still remember our thundersticks fondly in 2003 lol...but yes obviously those things could be annoying if you held them up wrong and hit someone else with them.

I thought my speakers were cracking at first, then i realized it was all part of the show. Bad for TV audio quality IMO, maybe fine if you're at the arena, but sure as hell annoying from a TV POV.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Anyway, we have no grounds for a goaltending controversy. After what Keith did, and how Cory's looked since January, it's Kinkaid's series to win or lose. Period. Plus he definitely wasn't the reason we lost this game. The turnovers, mistakes, blown assignments in our own end, puck watching by five guys while a Tampa guy walks in and scores on a backhand . . . that was all much more of a problem.

Yeah I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone supporting a goaltending controversy. Keith deserves the playoffs, I’ll say it for the 15th time. I haven’t seen anyone advocate for Cory starting. Kinkaid was still average tonight regardless. That’s just a fact.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

15 years ago when most arenas where doing that.

I'd be irate if we partaked in those clappers next week
They are hokey

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017

tampa did the thunderstick thing in 03' too if i remember.

if they have those clappers next week i might jump off a bridge.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad