Series Talk: ECQF: Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders (CAR Leads 3-1)

CAR vs NYI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You know what, I think this round has a ton of interesting storylines.

1) Goaltending - This is a huge topic for both teams. Varlamov has stolen the net from one of the best goalies in the league, but it still remains to be seen if Roy plays Sorokin in game 1. Either way, I say they have the advantage in net. For the Canes, that's their biggest Achilles Heel. For the Canes, whether or not they'll have stability in net is a recurring theme with the likes of Kotchetkov, Raanta and Anderson giving Carolina a revolving door of Vezina calibre play, injuries, and bad outings.
While it's fair to question stability, mainly due to injuries in the past, Goaltending was solid in last year's playoffs and has been solid this year in the regular season for Kochetkov and Andersen, particularly since his return from the blood clot. I still think Kochetkov is inconsistent and injuries are always a concern with Andersen.
2) Carolina's contracts - Take a look at the capfriendly page, it's absolutely nuts to see how many new guys are fighting for a new contract or fighting for a raise. Of note, there's Teravainen, Necas, Drury, Jarvis, Skjei, Pesce, DeAngelo, Chatfield and of course, Guentzel. Desperation can create diamonds out of some of these guys, but it can also create mistakes. On the other hand, NY has the entire core locked in long term.
this makes little sense. The value across the league for these guys is already set. they've all had multiple seasons under their belts and multiple playoffs under their belts.
3) The metro sucks - We all know the metro's been terrible this year, so Carolina hasn't really needed to play meaningful hockey in months. They had no way of knowing who they'd face, but home ice advantage was never really in doubt. New York's been playing playoff do-or-die hockey since Patty Roy was brought in. Not to mention, they've been severely underscoring compared to their offensive metrics since the ASB, so if the pucks start going in then they'll be a force. Yes the Canes are 8-2-0 in the last ten, but these games have been fictitious for them. NY are 8-1-1, so it's two of the three hottest teams in the league facing off against one another (Dallas is 8-2-0 int their last 10)

So Carolina hasn't had to play meaningful hockey in months, but:
since Jan 1: Best record in the NHL .761 points %
since Feb 1: Second best record in the NHL .758 points % (NYR 1st .773)
since Mar 1: Second best record in the NHL .786 (Dal 1st are .789)
Since Trade Deadline: Best record in the NHL .816
Last 10 games: 8RW-2L-0OT vs. NYI: 6 RW, 2OTW, 1L, 1 OTL

I'm not sure what point you trying to make here. Or are you suggesting that because the Canes won't be able to get into playoff mode because they've been comfortably in the playoffs for a while now.
Honestly, I think we see an upset here. Guentzel isn't enough to overcome the goaltending concerns and I seriously think the Isles are going in with the confidence and goaltending to pull this off. I also can't forget Bo being GPG in the bubble and think he'll pop off similarly again.

I predict Isles win in 5, but that 2-3 of those games go to OT. Carolina management are left wondering what to do, and if this core has what it takes to show up in the moments that count.
I have no issue with your prediction of the Isles winning. As we've seen over the years (CLB beating TBL, Canes beating the Caps, etc.. etc..) there are no easy outs. Players can get hot, teams can get hot, goalies can get hot. The Isles can beat anybody so your prediction may very well be right, but I have to question your last comment.

This series is the 1st round of the playoffs. In the last 5 seasons, the Canes have won at least 1 round of the playoffs every year and gone to the ECF twice.

So are you saying the Canes did have what it takes to show up in moments that count over the last 5 years since they've won at least 1 round and went to the ECF? Or are you saying that this series isn't a moment that counts?

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
While it's fair to question stability, mainly due to injuries in the past, Goaltending was solid in last year's playoffs and has been solid this year in the regular season for Kochetkov and Andersen, particularly since his return from the blood clot. I still think Kochetkov is inconsistent and injuries are always a concern with Andersen.

this makes little sense. The value across the league for these guys is already set. they've all had multiple seasons under their belts and multiple playoffs under their belts.

So Carolina hasn't had to play meaningful hockey in months, but:
since Jan 1: Best record in the NHL .761 points %
since Feb 1: Second best record in the NHL .758 points % (NYR 1st .773)
since Mar 1: Second best record in the NHL .786 (Dal 1st are .789)
Since Trade Deadline: Best record in the NHL .816
Last 10 games: 8RW-2L-0OT vs. NYI: 6 RW, 2OTW, 1L, 1 OTL

I'm not sure what point you trying to make here. Or are you suggesting that because the Canes won't be able to get into playoff mode because they've been comfortably in the playoffs for a while now.

I have no issue with your prediction of the Isles winning. As we've seen over the years (CLB beating TBL, Canes beating the Caps, etc.. etc..) there are no easy outs. Players can get hot, teams can get hot, goalies can get hot. The Isles can beat anybody so your prediction may very well be right, but I have to question your last comment.

This series is the 1st round of the playoffs. In the last 5 seasons, the Canes have won at least 1 round of the playoffs every year and gone to the ECF twice.

So are you saying the Canes did have what it takes to show up in moments that count over the last 5 years since they've won at least 1 round and went to the ECF? Or are you saying that this series isn't a moment that counts?
He could have just said he hasn't watched a Canes game and is to lazy to even look them up, it would have saved him like 100 words.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Ya I wouldn’t bet against a Patrick Roy coached team. Patrick doesn’t accept losing period. He will find a way to make this a series.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Every year Hurricanes is the team.. will they, will they not type of team
Somehow they always disappoint at some point of the play-offs and never ever goes all the way.

Islanders in 6

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Now obviously, Carolina should win this, but... you never know what comes out of that buffed/ripped RBA's body and mind this time
He might be on the making of the next Bruce Boudreau. As in, great regular season coach, not so much in the play-offs.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think Cane's but I don't think it will be a walk or easy. Isles have a lot of nice pieces and should put up a good fight.

Canes in 6

Reactions: Tryamw

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
You know what, I think this round has a ton of interesting storylines.

1) Goaltending - This is a huge topic for both teams. Varlamov has stolen the net from one of the best goalies in the league, but it still remains to be seen if Roy plays Sorokin in game 1. Either way, I say they have the advantage in net. For the Canes, that's their biggest Achilles Heel. For the Canes, whether or not they'll have stability in net is a recurring theme with the likes of Kotchetkov, Raanta and Anderson giving Carolina a revolving door of Vezina calibre play, injuries, and bad outings.

2) Carolina's contracts - Take a look at the capfriendly page, it's absolutely nuts to see how many new guys are fighting for a new contract or fighting for a raise. Of note, there's Teravainen, Necas, Drury, Jarvis, Skjei, Pesce, DeAngelo, Chatfield and of course, Guentzel. Desperation can create diamonds out of some of these guys, but it can also create mistakes. On the other hand, NY has the entire core locked in long term.

3) The metro sucks - We all know the metro's been terrible this year, so Carolina hasn't really needed to play meaningful hockey in months. They had no way of knowing who they'd face, but home ice advantage was never really in doubt. New York's been playing playoff do-or-die hockey since Patty Roy was brought in. Not to mention, they've been severely underscoring compared to their offensive metrics since the ASB, so if the pucks start going in then they'll be a force. Yes the Canes are 8-2-0 in the last ten, but these games have been fictitious for them. NY are 8-1-1, so it's two of the three hottest teams in the league facing off against one another (Dallas is 8-2-0 int their last 10)

Honestly, I think we see an upset here. Guentzel isn't enough to overcome the goaltending concerns and I seriously think the Isles are going in with the confidence and goaltending to pull this off. I also can't forget Bo being GPG in the bubble and think he'll pop off similarly again.

I predict Isles win in 5, but that 2-3 of those games go to OT. Carolina management are left wondering what to do, and if this core has what it takes to show up in the moments that count.
I am convinced you have never watched a Hurricanes game this season.

Regarding goaltending, Andersen has been better than Varlamov if we're basing it solely on goals saved above average. Kochetkov has also been better than Sorokin this year if we are using the same statistic. Additionally, Andersen was completely fine last year when he helped Carolina get to the ECF.

I don't understand what you're talking about with contracts. If anything, every Carolina player would try extremely hard in the playoffs for that reason alone.

Your last point doesn't even make sense.

Let's not forget Carolina was without Svechnikov last year and added Guentzel, so their offense should be significantly improved. Your point about the Islanders having confidence means absolutely nothing when Carolina has had a similar record in their last 10 games and is on a 5-game winning streak. I don't understand why you mentioned Horvat when he played against Carolina last year and had 2 points. The Islanders can still win, but Carolina would have to not play like themselves. They also upgraded defensively with Orlov, who is having his best defensive season analytically.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He could have just said he hasn't watched a Canes game and is to lazy to even look them up, it would have saved him like 100 words.
I can understand a couple of his points. Like Carolina did in 18-19, they had to play desperation hockey for 1/2 of a season and it carried into the playoffs. So that could be a possibility with the Isles as well.

And Sorokin has shown the ability to just shut down teams on his own so there's that possibility as well.

I wasn't debating his prediction, as any team can beat any other team in the playoffs, it was just that the rest of it didn't make much sense to me.

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
I can understand a couple of his points. Like Carolina did in 18-19, they had to play desperation hockey for 1/2 of a season and it carried into the playoffs. So that could be a possibility with the Isles as well.

And Sorokin has shown the ability to just shut down teams on his own so there's that possibility as well.

I wasn't debating his prediction, as any team can beat any other team in the playoffs, it was just that the rest of it didn't make much sense to me.
He's welcome to the prediction I wasn't referring to that or anything Iannders related but to the fact every statement he made about then Canes was either incorrect or completely nonsensical,

The Canes are also on fire as I said before 23-4-1 in the last two months...

Canes in 5...

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
Special teams are even worst than last time for my isles. Canes are the better team. Not feeling too confident. We’ll see what happens.
I watched you all vs the Rangers have six minutes in a row of PP and come away down 0-1 it goes without saying.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Gonna say Hurricanes in 7.

I think Dobson brings on a big challenge for the Hurricanes as he's been their MVP. I think he helped Sorokin all year long.
Dobson has been hurt for the last few games. We don’t know if he’ll even be available for the series.

I watched you all vs the Rangers have six minutes in a row of PP and come away down 0-1 it goes without saying.
It’s been like that all year. Years prior our PK was at least decent. PK has been bad and the PP is bad. Not a good combination. If you can’t capitalize on the PP, especially in the playoffs you really aren’t giving yourself a chance.

Reactions: DaveG

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
Dobson has been hurt for the last few games. We don’t know if he’ll even be available for the series.

It’s been like that all year. Years prior our PK was at least decent. PK has been bad and the PP is bad. Not a good combination. If you can’t capitalize on the PP, especially in the playoffs you really aren’t giving yourself a chance.
Yea that hurts I imagine, I don't really see the PP changing for you all the Canes kill is ridiculous and I think you were 1-19 in last years series, things are always tighter in the playoffs so our PP staying hot is the one thing I'm concerned about IMO for this to be a competitive series your PK will have to turn it around

Reactions: SI90

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
Now obviously, Carolina should win this, but... you never know what comes out of that buffed/ripped RBA's body and mind this time
He might be on the making of the next Bruce Boudreau. As in, great regular season coach, not so much in the play-offs.
Seasons until first Stanley Cup (Dead Puck Era-Now)

Dan Bylsma: 1
Marc Crawford: 2
Randy Carlyle: 2
Bob Hartley: 3
Craig Berube: 3
Mike Sullivan: 3
Jacques Lemaire: 4
Ken Hitchcock: 4
Peter Laviolette: 4
John Tortorella: 5
Larry Robinson: 5
Mike Babcock: 5
Jared Bednar: 6
Scotty Bowman: 6
Claude Julien: 8
Jon Cooper: 8
Bruce Cassidy: 9
Darryl Sutter: 13
Joel Quenneville: 13
Pat Burns: 13
Barry Trotz: 19

That's an average of 6 seasons, Rod is in his 6th season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad