Series Talk: Eastern Conference Quarterfinal: BRUINS (A2) vs Toronto Maple Leafs (A3)

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I don’t know about you guys but I’m muting the Sportsnet announcers for the entire series and I’m not watching one second of any Sportsnet pre or post game coverage . I will come here before and after games .

Reactions: Gordoff

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
If you asked Matthews if it was more important to him to get his 70th goal tonight or beat the Bruins which one do you think he would pick? The fact that I’m not sure what his answer would be sums how I feel about the him and the Leafs.

The Leafs are way more talented than the Bruins, but just about the softest team in the league. This series is definitely not a guaranteed win, but I’m much more confident in the Bruins chances against the Leafs than I would’ve been against the Lightning.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
First time in awhile I can say the Leafs have a little more chaos factor in their lineup than us. I expect to be fully sick of Bertuzzi, Domi, Edmunson and McCabe by the end of this.

Reactions: Carl Hungus

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I don’t know about you guys but I’m muting the Sportsnet announcers for the entire series and I’m not watching one second of any Sportsnet pre or post game coverage . I will come here before and after games .
Yeah I have SportsNet but might watch the games on line so I get the NESM feed not the greatest feed but ,I would just turn the sound down low or off on SportsNet but the wife likes the volume up because she tends to be doing something on her tablet while watching the games.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
If you asked Matthews if it was more important to him to get his 70th goal tonight or beat the Bruins which one do you think he would pick? The fact that I’m not sure what his answer would be sums how I feel about the him and the Leafs.

The Leafs are way more talented than the Bruins, but just about the softest team in the league. This series is definitely not a guaranteed win, but I’m much more confident in the Bruins chances against the Leafs than I would’ve been against the Lightning.
He'd say winning in 1st Round is first, last, and only thing on his mind. But what he feels (perhaps even subconsciously) is really the question. As you suggest, the answer to that is not something to be sure of.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
With Bertuzzi/Matthews on line 1 and their pairings as they are, I don't really see the speed in the Leafs lineup. Not like it used to be.

I think we'll skate with them just fine. Yesterday you saw what Floriday did to them with some speed.

That's also why I'm fine with Brazeau having more time to get well here.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Bruins blatantly lost the last couple on purpose to draw Leafs. Should be a very delicious series. Bruins in 6.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
At least the leafs tried to add som grit in Domi, Bertuzzi and Revis.
We got Hienin and van Riemsdyk and of course the did try with Lucic.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Stay off the main boards Yikes. Leaf fans out in full force telling the world how much better they are, how gonna smoke us. I don't get where they get their cockiness and confidence. Certainly not from any kind of success. It's mind boggling how obnoxious they are
I think I mentioned it before, but they are now what we used to be to Montreal. I get it. Back in high school, college, even a little after I think, I used to beg for Montreal in the playoffs. Everybody in my circle that was older than me would tell me I was stupid but I wouldn't listen. Didn't matter what the standings were, or what history told me, I wanted Montreal every night.

The part of this story that sucks is that eventually the tide turned...kinda. Boston broke through and has had the better of Montreal for a while now. So at some point I have to think it happens for Toronto as well. Just not now.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

I asked on another site would Leaf fans look at his regular season accomplishments with as much admiration if they went out in the first round and he had a sub par performance. Man some of the Leaf fans that were on it went ballistic against me ,I guess questioning their god isn’t allowed.

• Love

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

He's ridiculous as an offensive threat - but man o man if he ever decided to start playing a punishing physical game he would destroy the league. Even if he just picked 2 shifts a game

You don't think Brazeau, Peeke and Maroon give us some toughness?

Man this board...
First time in awhile I can say the Leafs have a little more chaos factor in their lineup than us. I expect to be fully sick of Bertuzzi, Domi, Edmunson and McCabe by the end of this.
Well you know they're going to target Marchand and Pastrnak like they did last game. Hopefully it'll work out just as well for em

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
The Leafs D is much bigger and more physical then what we are used to with guys like Edmundson, McCabe and Benoit, but they aren't very mobile and are turnover prone, will be interesting to see how they hold up. At least when we play TO Gryz should be fine, the Leafs forwards don't punish you like TB and Florida.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Don't think that is really true.
Depends on the goaltending in my opinion. If Swayman and Ullmark can play like they did in the playoffs like they have all season it’s a huge advantage but if we get what we have seen the last two playoffs then I would bet on the Leafs . Whatever Montgomery decides to do I don’t think he will hesitate this time around to switch things up .

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Thank you. I don't understand people "afraid" of the big narrative / media / whatever going in. That's what makes it better. If we lose to the Leafs blueline and goaltending then we deserve it.

This ^

Yes the Leafs have a lot of offensive firepower and that is concerning given the Bruins' penchant for taking stupid penalties. However as usual the Leafs defense & goaltending are not playoff caliber.

If the Bruins can stay out of the box, play solid defense up & down the lineup and get solid goaltending they should win in 6.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
They will be bulling Pasta from puck drop, Put Maroon on his wing

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
My lineup for the series:

Heinen - Zacha - Pasta
Marchand - Coyle - Debrusk
JVR - Geekie - Frederic
Maroon - Boqvist - Beecher/Lauko/Brazeau (Hopefully back later in the series)

Lindholm - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Shattenkirk - Peeke

Ullmark
Swayman

Lindholm/McAvoy's job is to possess the puck and take Matthews/Marner out of the equation. This is the main matchup Monty should be chasing all series. My X factor matchup is Carlo Vs Nylander. If Carlo can take care of Nylander most nights I see this going well for the Bruins. Maroon's job is to just keep Reaves from taking out any of our star players/Hit everything. If we get anything out of Marchand and Debrusk this could be a quicker than 7 series. I haven't liked either's play in over a month. Brazeau coming back before the conclusion of the series would be a huge boost to the 4th line. Not holding my breath though.

My advice to Monty based off last years performance: Run the goalie rotation with a shorter leash on Swayman. I just think he's been leakier than Ullmark in recent weeks. Be more patient with lines, in game rotations are fine.. But don't panic switch up lines and pairings like games 5/6/7 against Florida. Trust your eyes from what you saw all year.

My prediction is Bruins in 7 (we all know this is ending game 7 at TD garden when does it not)?

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Depends on the goaltending in my opinion. If Swayman and Ullmark can play like they did in the playoffs like they have all season it’s a huge advantage but if we get what we have seen the last two playoffs then I would bet on the Leafs . Whatever Montgomery decides to do I don’t think he will hesitate this time around to switch things up .
Bruins goaltending will be the least of my worries

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad