Series Talk: Eastern Conference Quarterfinal: BRUINS (A2) vs Toronto Maple Leafs (A3)

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
As a child of the mid 80s, watching the Bruins go one and done in the playoffs throughout the mid 90s through mid 2000s has scarred me as a fan.

The lone series win I was old enough to appreciate was against Carolina in 1999.
Other than that it was make the playoffs and bow out in the round of 16.

So no, I do not take this series lightly, nor do I assume that this path will be easy.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
No.

The Bruins overachieved this season based on their roster.
Toronto perhaps underachieved.

Did they though? Can you name Toronto's top 4? Honest question. Because Toronto can't name Toronto's top 4.

Toronto also has 3 goalies and not one of them is good.

I think Toronto scored their way into probably exactly where their team should have wound up.

As for where we finished, I'm starting to wonder if those games vs Florida where we didn't have Bergy/Krejci might have telegraphed the quality of the other players, and most of us missed it. I think next year will say if this year was a fluke or not. But I'm thinking not.

Reactions: lopey

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Did they though? Can you name Toronto's top 4? Honest question. Because Toronto can't name Toronto's top 4.

I think Toronto scored their way into probably exactly where their team should have wound up.

As for where we finished, I'm starting to wonder if those games vs Florida where we didn't have Bergy/Krejci might have telegraphed the quality of the other players, and most of us missed it. I think next year will say if this year was a fluke or not. But I'm thinking not.
I honestly don’t know.

I have zero expectations either way for this playoffs.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Is the fanbase already using injuries as a possible excuse with a series that hasn't begun?

Bruins are the better team. By a lot. All that matters is how they matchup against each other at this point.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Is the fanbase already using injuries as a possible excuse with a series that hasn't begun?

Bruins are the better team. By a lot. All that matters is how they matchup against each other at this point.

Thing is, what injuries? Last season we went into the playoffs with Bergy, Krejci, Linus all hurt. And potentially a few others.

If this year is Brazeau, man I'll take it. I dont even know if Brazeau is a great fit for a Leafs matchup anyway. Between him and Maroon, one planted in front there will do fine.

We have 3 full days off now till game. Dream scenario.

Poor Leafs play tonight, and most of their guys have to dress (including Mr 69)

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I will go series by series and this one "should" be a Bruins win. I will be extremely disappointed if they lose it, and I would not have said the same thing vs Tampa.

A lot of pros picking Tampa to come out of the East....

I have not seen ONE pick Toronto. Not one.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

We need great goaltending in order to beat the Leafs and need to score at least 3 goals each game.
Leafs weakness is their defense and goaltending. They have more offensive weapons than we do. They outscored us by 32 goals.
Top 4 Leafs IMO....Matthews/Nylander/Marner and Rielly.

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Bruins have to come out and play hard for 60 minutes in this series. Leafs depend so much on there top two or three players to garner wins. Almost every other game they play they are behind a goal or two and try to dive their way to try to pull off a win. Leaf fans are actually shaking in their boots at this point about the Bruins and all the talk is not to let Marchy get in their heads. Bruins just need to play their game that beat the Leafs in the regular series. Domi and Bert will give the Bruins some power plays.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
We need great goaltending in order to beat the Leafs and need to score at least 3 goals each game.
Leafs weakness is their defense and goaltending. They have more offensive weapons than we do. They outscored us by 32 goals.
I expect Bertuzzi to have a an impact also unfortunately.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
And Leafs have also given up 33 more goals than Bruins.

Their defense and goaltending especially is in the bottom tier of playoffs teams.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I don't like this matchup for us. Guys like Domi/Bertuzzi have been great additions to the Leafs.

I feel like Matthews game has matured and he is ready to get this team over the hump. I really hope the Bruins come out on top but I think Leafs in 6.
I think what you say about Matthews is true, but we'll still have to see. Bertuzzi and Domi aren't series changers to me.

What is a difference maker historically, is tightened defense and goaltending. I suspect, like all season long, we'll go as far as our goalies take us. I think the difference will be in net.

Here's the possibilities (I put a gap between the top two and bottom three -- not because they are on different teams but because there's a pretty distinct difference between 1&2 and 3-5).

GOALIEGAASV%
Swayman2.53.916
Ullmark2.58.915
Jones2.70.908
Woll2.93.907
Samsonov3.13.890

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I expect Bertuzzi to have a an impact also unfortunately.
Peeke was really pissing Ottawa off and it was pretty clean - he was basically just playing a get the F out of front of net style

I think he’s going to be pretty good next season after some McQuaid tutoring - but he’s ok now and I expect he will be having confrontation with Bertuzzi & Domi who are going to the net and let Matthews shoot with screens and disturbance got Linus & Swayman

Sox going to snag the 2nd WC?
They win 75 games it’s a good season

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Hate to say it, but we will remember these last two subpar losses as the reason the Bruins exit in the first round. Hope I'm wrong.
Tampa vs. Toronto. I take Toronto every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Not guaranteeing a win, just suggesting you might have it completely wrong. The way Tampa is playing right now (and they know how to win)???? Those to subpar losses might have just saved our bacon.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I think what you say about Matthews is true, but we'll still have to see. Bertuzzi and Domi aren't series changers to me.

What is a difference maker historically, is tightened defense and goaltending. I suspect, like all season long, we'll go as far as our goalies take us. I think the difference will be in net.

Here's the possibilities (I put a gap between the top two and bottom three -- not because they are on different teams but because there's a pretty distinct difference between 1&2 and 3-5).

GOALIEGAASV%
Swayman2.53.916
Ullmark2.58.915
Jones2.70.908
Woll2.93.907
Samsonov3.13.890
Wasn’t Jones a Bruin for a few hrs

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I think this is where the additions of Maroon and Peeke will pay huge dividends mainly Peeke, he's the type who can lay the body consistently on players (Matthews) and be able to wear them down without being wore down himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: sampollock

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
Should be a fun series. Our goaltending is our strength and let's hope that carries into the playoffs. Good test for them and this team.

I wouldn't be opposed to beating up McCabe and Domi on their first shift either but yeah.

Good luck to the mods during this one. Our last regular season game had posters attacking one another, can't imagine what it will be like if the Bruins have a shit game lol. Might need to promote some interim mods.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad