Series Talk: Eastern Conference Quarterfinal: BRUINS (A2) vs Toronto Maple Leafs (A3)

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Watch what you hope for, Toronto's top 3 (Mathews, Mariner and Nylander) have outscored Boston's elite 289 to 237. In addition, they have Tavares, Rielly with Domi and Bertuzzi for support scoring. Tavares is also very good at the faceoff dot.

A couple of young kids are also contributing, Knies and Robertson. Robertson has a lethal shot and Knies has size and contributes offensively.

The deciding factor could very well be that Boston makes mediocre goalies look like superstars.

I hope Boston wins but I could see Toronto finally take a series.
Bs have the better net minder (both are better).

Leafs will be all over Brad and Pasta. Bs need OTHER players to step up and score too

Got to stay healthy.

GO Bs

Thanks @dafoomie for the memories

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I thought he was skating better last night than he has in a while.

The bad decisions around trying to stick handle through 8 people didn’t go away and he’s still not shooting enough, but I thought the legs were good.
This. Marchy gotta stop the over stickhadiling . Sometimes the best play is to dump puck in and go forecheck.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Yes they can score, but if our d and goalies play they way they should, we win. If ULLY or Sway shit the bed, then your right we don't have the fire power to match bad goaltending
That is a lot of its. Our firepower is also so inconsistent.

Good luck to the Bruins but this will be no cake walk and may turn out not as we all wish.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I just don't get some of the beta thinking in this thread.

The Bruins haven't lost to the Leafs in the playoffs in over SIXTY years. We manhandled them in the regular season. Our team, despite manhandling them, always takes them very seriously, which is about the best possible setup. Not overconfident, but willing to destroy your rival.

The Leafs don't have a single goaltender with a lick of confidence right now. We are nearly at perfect health (nearly). And THIS is the matchup that worries you?

Do I think we can lose? Sure, there are permutations where we can lose. Any team can lose. But this matchup is a freaking dream compared to Tampa. Our PP scored 30% against the Leafs this year. If anything is gonna get the PP going again, it's this legendary series.

LET'S GO!

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It's perfect

If the Bruins win its the next chapter in that glorious book of breaking Toronto's hearts

If Toronto wins they will craft their own "finally beat the bruins" rings. I don't think any fan base in any league anywhere would be happier to win a first round series.

Either way it's a joy vs joy outcome.

And it's a good matchup on the ice too
There WILL be drama.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
If all of Toronto’s big guns come out firing, they’ll be tough to stop. It’s been a challenge in the playoffs for just one of them to produce so we’ll see if that continues. Great test without Bergy to shut one of them down himself.

Their goaltending and defense is atrocious. If we can limit their scoring its a good matchup for us. Pasta needs to be great and the depth scoring has to be there.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Their goaltending is bad. Like really, really bad.

I'm just talking about the main boards here. Most Leafs fans I've met in person, except the drunk I sat next to at Game 1 in 2019, seem pretty rational. Most of the goofs who post here are off the charts irrational.
This is so true.

In the 23 years with ST and meeting visiting fans the Leaf fans are my favorite (and there are always more Leaf fans at our games than any other visiting team).

On HF though...oh the drama o_O. Every team has their fools...but the Leaf posters (some of them) take the cake.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
If all of Toronto’s big guns come out firing, they’ll be tough to stop. It’s been a challenge in the playoffs for just one of them to produce so we’ll see if that continues. Great test without Bergy to shut one of them down himself.

Their goaltending and defense is atrocious. If we can limit their scoring its a good matchup for us. Pasta needs to be great and the depth scoring has to be there.
Two key players to me offensively are Debrusk and Freddy. Both gotta bring more than they have the last little while. If they can score timely goals, then it will go along way to us winning. Debrusk has been a good playoff performer so I have hope he does it again.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Their goaltending is bad. Like really, really bad.

I'm just talking about the main boards here. Most Leafs fans I've met in person, except the drunk I sat next to at Game 1 in 2019, seem pretty rational. Most of the goofs who post here are off the charts irrational.
Unfortunately I no many that aren’t rational not when it comes to hockey anyway.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024

in the.....playoffs?

Reactions: Dellstrom and lopey

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
I would rather lose to anyone else except the Leafs that’s why I wanted Tampa ,perfect scenario was Bruins beating Tampa and Florida taking out the Leafs.Oh well we will see what happens,but I’m scared have to admit I have a bad feeling about this.
Yup. Bruins could win, but Bruins could also get steamrolled. I see the latter in 5 games.

The Crosby cheap shot on Ullmark, Linus should have a short leash as his movement side to side looks hampered. Pasta took a huge hit in that game, thinking shoulder.

We have to hope Marchand, JDB, Freddy, Coyle, Geekie contribute just a bit of offense. My expectations are rock bottom so 6 or 7 games is a victory.

Moneyball-type rosters surprise in regular season and this team did that with great cost-effective signings. Sweeney did a great job to get team here, but also coaches and GM's look smart when you have dueling Team MVP's in net and Pasta.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
I just don't get some of the beta thinking in this thread.

The Bruins haven't lost to the Leafs in the playoffs in over SIXTY years. We manhandled them in the regular season. Our team, despite manhandling them, always takes them very seriously, which is about the best possible setup. Not overconfident, but willing to destroy your rival.

The Leafs don't have a single goaltender with a lick of confidence right now. We are nearly at perfect health (nearly). And THIS is the matchup that worries you?

Do I think we can lose? Sure, there are permutations where we can lose. Any team can lose. But this matchup is a freaking dream compared to Tampa. Our PP scored 30% against the Leafs this year. If anything is gonna get the PP going again, it's this legendary series.

LET'S GO!
Agreed. They dont match up well and save for the Leafs goalie pulling a Theodore or losing Pasta for the series it would be a a terrible series loss. Let’s be honest as well it’s not like the Bruins wanted to finish strong and play Tampa

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Bruins in 5 !! Goaltending & PK will be crucial .
Neither Bruins goalie has good numbers in the playoffs,Ullmark’s are actually terrible and Swayman’s are nothing to write home about either,let’s hope 1 or both changes that pronto or I can definitely see the 5 ,I agree with you I think goaltending will be the deciding factor this series just hoping it’s in a good way going our way.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Yup. Bruins could win, but Bruins could also get steamrolled. I see the latter in 5 games.

The Crosby cheap shot on Ullmark, Linus should have a short leash as his movement side to side looks hampered. Pasta took a huge hit in that game, thinking shoulder.

We have to hope Marchand, JDB, Freddy, Coyle, Geekie contribute just a bit of offense. My expectations are rock bottom so 6 or 7 games is a victory.

Moneyball-type rosters surprise in regular season and this team did that with great cost-effective signings. Sweeney did a great job to get team here, but also coaches and GM's look smart when you have dueling Team MVP's in net and Pasta.
The Leafs are just as flawed as the Bruins are . I’ve been watching them all year. The goaltending is always a roll of the dice. Could the Bruins lose ? Of course but it’s going to be a pretty even series. I actually wish the first two games were in Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad