Series Talk: Eastern Conference Quarterfinal: BRUINS (A2) vs Toronto Maple Leafs (A3)

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
i wanted tampa ill admit. wanted toronto and florida to beat eachother up

Lets see how it goes. I have 0 confidence this year but i have a little hope. go B's

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Bruins head into this series having won 7 in a row vs the Maple Leafs.

In those seven games, the Bruins have averaged:
3.57 Goals For per game
1.86 Goals Allowed per game

However, each of the last three playoff series against the Leafs went to Game 7s.

The Bruins are 13-4-0 in their last seventeen home games against Toronto.
They are 8-8-1 in their last seventeen road games against Toronto.
Home-ice could be a big factor in deciding this series.

Oh, and Jeremy Swayman has been great during the aforementioned 7 game win streak. 4-0-0 ; 1.21 GAA ; .961 Sv%

I would start Swayman Game 1.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Bring. It. On.

The Bruins will determine their fate. Play like assholes, you're gonna lose. Get your shit together. Play the forechecking game you played sparingly this season. When you played that way, you had an identity. Get that anger ready. You play better when you're angry at your opponent. Pucks on net. No f***ing silly passes. No giveaways. Play hard. Play smart. Show some heart.

I genuinely have no clue which team the Bruins will show up as. I hope they kick it into high gear.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Happy to not be facing Vasilevskiy and Kucherov, those guys are legit killers. Guess we'll see what Matthews and Marner are made of these days and if it's still powdered marshmallow candy.

Wish the Bruins had some more consistent scoring depth for this series. Going to need guys like Geekie, Coyle, Zacha, DeBrusk and Heinen to step their games up like they've done at different points throughout the season. Not worried about Pasta or Marchy. Hopefully superior goaltending and defense can carry the day. Not overly confident but not too anxious about it either, should be a fun series.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Isn't every Leafs fan?

(turn the volume down on that one, he's in rare form tonte).

Yeah, don't listen with headphones unless you want years of sporting trauma injected directly into your brain.

The players obviously aren't invested or scarred in the same way a super fan is, but still, the Bruins should have a mental edge against the Leafs in this series, both on account of past playoffs successes and having beaten them the last 7 games straight. May not count for much in the grand scheme of things, but if Boston can start the series well with a strong home stand, it may go some way towards planting old doubts back in Leaf minds and allowing the Bs to keep the momentum rolling.

I'm going to predict Bruins in 6. If Toronto's star forwards fire and they get at least half-decent D/goaltending, they can beat us, but hopefully our boys bring their A game and that will be enough. Better top-end forwards and a little more speed verses better defense, overall depth and goaltending.

A good test for Monty too. Don't see this as a 'must win' series for him because, whatever their faults, the Leafs are a very good team and this season's Bruins roster is not the same calibre as last year's, but it will be important for him to show he can marshal his players and tactics effectively in the playoffs furnace and react as he needs to as the series unfolds. There's no doubt he's an exceptional regular season coach. Playoffs remain the big question mark.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
While I am not looking forward to the media circus, I think Tampa would have been tougher because of Vasi especially. Toronto's goalies are fragile, Vasi is not. Eventually, Toronto will beat us just like the Bruins beat the Habs after years of pain. No predictions from me, I don't like jinxes.

Having the Panthers and Bolts beat the crap out of each other in the first round is perfect. Let's get it done Bruins, I want more hockey.

I hope the Universe brings heavy rain, high winds and thunderstorms to Maple Leaf Square.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yeah, don't listen with headphones unless you want years of sporting trauma injected directly into your brain.

The players obviously aren't invested or scarred in the same way a super fan is, but still, the Bruins should have a mental edge against the Leafs in this series, both on account of past playoffs successes and having beaten them the last 7 games straight. May not count for much in the grand scheme of things, but if Boston can start the series well with a strong home stand, it may go some way towards planting old doubts back in Leaf minds and allowing the Bs to keep the momentum rolling.

I'm going to predict Bruins in 6. If Toronto's star forwards fire and they get at least half-decent D/goaltending, they can beat us, but hopefully our boys bring their A game and that will be enough. Better top-end forwards and a little more speed verses better defense, overall depth and goaltending.

A good test for Monty too. Don't see this as a 'must win' series for him because, whatever their faults, the Leafs are a very good team and this season's Bruins roster is not the same calibre as last year's, but it will be important for him to show he can marshal his players and tactics effectively in the playoffs furnace and react as he needs to as the series unfolds. There's no doubt he's an exceptional regular season coach. Playoffs remain the big question mark.

@Aussie Bruin
I think back to Easter Sunday of 2019 when the Bruins were in BIG TROUBLE as they played Game 6 in Toronto down 2-3.

The game was in the afternoon on NBC and the hockey world was still reeling from the Blue Jackets sweeping out Tampa Bay after the Lightning's record season. I texted @Alicat to send me a GDT and I would add a song to it and told her THERE WILL BE A GAME 7. @Ladyfan I think you remember the song I chose.

I then decided to take the subway to an iconic Toronto diner that was featured in their official 100th-year video 2 years earlier.

Using the wifi at the diner somebody notices I am on HF Boards and he comes over and says 'Go Leafs Go'. and then says if you want a good laugh look at the Bruins section. I go oh? and he said they have supervisors that hate Canada and I said really?

I asked him for his username and then he asked for mine :biglaugh:

That game was also memorable when Sportsnet screwed with NBC and US viewers got stuck with this

1713346704332.png

@Alicat - Please get working on Game 1 :)

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Eventually, Toronto is going to breakthrough and win a series against the Bruins.

The Bruins eventually broke through and beat Montreal in 88.

Does it happen this year? No clue.

However, previous year’s results have bearing on the series. The Bruins, for all of their regular season success, have a pretty good little playoff series drought going on their end.

It feels like the Maple Leafs, coming in as a three seed, are playing with house money here. And to me, that makes them a dangerous team.

The big question is what Bruins team shows up?
Do we get the good Lindholm or the bad?
Does DeBrusk make an appearance and chip in offensively?

And of course there’s the completely unnecessary circus that has been created in net with the goalie rotation conversation.

I dunno. Leafs in 7?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The path I’d like to Dallas yesterday morning becoming clearer

Toronto
Florida
Rangers

Easiest path - Carolina only team I’m worried about

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Eventually, Toronto is going to breakthrough and win a series against the Bruins.

The Bruins eventually broke through and beat Montreal in 88.

Does it happen this year? No clue.

However, previous year’s results have bearing on the series. The Bruins, for all of their regular season success, have a pretty good little playoff series drought going on their end.

It feels like the Maple Leafs, coming in as a three seed, are playing with house money here. And to me, that makes them a dangerous team.

The big question is what Bruins team shows up?
Do we get the good Lindholm or the bad?
Does DeBrusk make an appearance and chip in offensively?

And of course there’s the completely unnecessary circus that has been created in net with the goalie rotation conversation.

I dunno. Leafs in 7?

The Leafs have won one playoff series in 20 years. They were supposed to build a generational Cup-winning team around Matthews, Marner etc. But it hasn't happened, not even close, and instead they constantly disappoint one of the sport's biggest fanbases and cost Rogers Sport a small fortune in potential lost earnings. I wouldn't say that time is running out for their core, but it is slipping away. On that basis I say the pressure on them is going to be immense, and another first round failure would be incredibly galling.

Whereas the Bruins' best chances, for now, have passed. Yes apart from 2011 they didn't win but what's done is done and the old era is over. Maybe this year's team really can do something, but it's not expected and nor should it be with a transitional roster. I take the point about the run of first and indeed second round exits, but I don't think it really falls on this team as having a particular responsibility to end that streak. Perhaps they will, I hope they will, but it can't be counted on. Come back in 12 months and it might be a different story.

So while I do think there's some pressure on the Bruins, I feel there's a lot more on Toronto. I wouldn't necessarily say this is a 'must win' for them, but at the very least they have to be seriously competitive ans take the series deep. Anything less and heads will roll, probably starting with Keefe's.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Now that the exhibition season is over bring on the Leafs. Going to be a good one. Target their d and for the love that all is holy shot the puck at the sieve of goalies they have. Start Ully and Mac will need to shut down, or at least limit Matthews. Do all of the above an we will win this series.

That is all

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Gotta say I love all the east matchups minus the canes/isles (snooze fest rematch)

Bs/laffs
Battle of Florida
Caps/rags not bad
My spidey senses see a Caps upset over Rags

Stay off the main boards Yikes. Leaf fans out in full force telling the world how much better they are, how gonna smoke us. I don't get where they get their cockiness and confidence. Certainly not from any kind of success. It's mind boggling how obnoxious they are
Born with it lol, you know the 14 cups they won way back in the day, and I mean way back lol

Reactions: Gordoff and caz16

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Watch what you hope for, Toronto's top 3 (Mathews, Mariner and Nylander) have outscored Boston's elite 289 to 237. In addition, they have Tavares, Rielly with Domi and Bertuzzi for support scoring. Tavares is also very good at the faceoff dot.

A couple of young kids are also contributing, Knies and Robertson. Robertson has a lethal shot and Knies has size and contributes offensively.

The deciding factor could very well be that Boston makes mediocre goalies look like superstars.

I hope Boston wins but I could see Toronto finally take a series.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Are we all in agreement that there is literally no excuse for the Bruins to lose this series? Horrible matchup for Toronto.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad