East/West Discrepancy

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Yes.
A decent team from the west that really does not have a legitimate chance of winning a series against one of the stacked mid-west teams can be considered a non-contender. Last season, the hounds & west division were mediocre.
This year, the hounds (adding) and the spits are/can be contenders. Go hounds:)

Dirty I knew you were a closet Hound fan. Way to go man!:)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Dirty I knew you were a closet Hound fan. Way to go man!:)

I've never denied my affection for the hounds:) it just cannot be denied that the Soo is among the most cyclical teams. The hounds have had more than their share of runs at OHL titles and top 4 draft picks.

My Sunday smile: Maybe, Marty Williamson copied the hounds team building plan; then, added the 1st rnd defected player rule for good measure.

Last edited:

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
All 5 teams in the east division have more points than all 5 teams in the central division.
The North Bay Battalion lead the central division despite the 6th highest point total in the eastern conference at 32pts. Hamilton and Kingston have the least amount of points in the east division with 33pts.
The Niagara Ice Dogs currently sit outside the playoffs and have won just 10 of their 33 games this season, yet they are only 5 points outside of the division lead, thats insane.

The Flint Firebirds sit 8th in the western conference and if they were in the central they would be the division leaders by 2 and sit "2nd" in the eastern conference.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Yes.
A decent team from the west that really does not have a legitimate chance of winning a series against one of the stacked mid-west teams can be considered a non-contender. Last season, the hounds & west division were mediocre.
This year, the hounds (adding) and the spits are/can be contenders. Go hounds:)

It's happened many, many times in this league. There wasn't as big of a difference in talent as you portray. That's why the Hounds are fighting for the division lead with the same roster.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It's happened many, many times in this league. There wasn't as big of a difference in talent as you portray. That's why the Hounds are fighting for the division lead with the same roster.

I didn't say the hounds could not fight for the mediocre west division last season. They really probably should have considering at least 20 games were against Flint, Guelph, Saginaw & Sudbury.
I said no team from that division had a legetimate chance of beating the stacked mid-west teams. (London & Erie)
But,this year with same just older team and Windsor improving while Erie graduated three important players in Dermott, Betz, & Marchment and London without Marner, Dvorak, & Thchuk; the mid-west/west discrepancy has narrowed enough that two west teams can be contenders.

What happens all the time? Underperforming, expected contenders such as Niagara pull it together in time for playoffs? Yes, often enough.

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I didn't say the hounds could not fight for the mediocre west division last season. They really probably should have considering at least 20 games were against Flint, Guelph, Saginaw & Sudbury.
I said no team from that division had a legetimate chance of beating the stacked mid-west teams. (London & Erie)
But,this year with same just older team and Windsor improving while Erie graduated three important players in Dermott, Betz, & Marchment and London without Marner, Dvorak, & Thchuk; the mid-west/west discrepancy has narrowed enough that two west teams can be contenders.

What happens all the time? Underperforming, expected contenders such as Niagara pull it together in time for playoffs? Yes, often enough.

You would probably be surprised if you saw the statistics regarding upsets in the playoffs. A team with a couple of explosive forwards and a hot goalie can make some noise against even the best team, even if the talent gap is quite large. This happens every year and it shouldn't be unexpected if you know your OHL history.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You would probably be surprised if you saw the statistics regarding upsets in the playoffs. A team with a couple of explosive forwards and a hot goalie can make some noise against even the best team, even if the talent gap is quite large. This happens every year and it shouldn't be unexpected if you know your OHL history.

I don't know how that supports your claim of the hounds being a contender last season; or, that the hounds have been one of the top organizations for several years. But, whatever; we can re-visit the sustainability stuff this time 2018.
For now, I truly hope the hounds get that big, mobile, body crunching, puck moving, shut down, PP trigger man to anchor the blue line for disposable assets; and, Raaymakers to perform up to his OHL draft place.
Go hounds! :)

Last edited:

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I don't know how that supports your claim of the hounds being a contender last season; or, that the hounds have been one of the top organizations for several years

Even looking at last year, a year after the Hounds lost a good chunk of their top players after their 14/15 run, the fact the Hounds managed to go onto beat Sarnia in the playoffs goes to show how a few hot players and a hot goalie can even beat the best of teams when they load up on talent

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Explain how Sarnia was the best of teams at playoff time last season. As I recall, the 7th seed was favoured by most.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Konecny, Zacha, Mistele, Kyrou, Chychrun, Studnicka, Korostelev, Lajeunesse....

I don't think anyone picked the Hounds over the Sting

I'm certain many did. Not me, I hoped the sting would be rewarded for being bold.
Can someone find last seasons playoff prediction thread?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

....Jacobs, King, Spinozzi. I know I thought Sarnia would at least make it to the 2nd round. The Soo and Windsor were both pretty good teams in the West division last year and I think would have had a pretty good go of it if they were playing in the East come playoffs.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
....Jacobs, King, Spinozzi. I know I thought Sarnia would at least make it to the 2nd round. The Soo and Windsor were both pretty good teams in the West division last year and I think would have had a pretty good go of it if they were playing in the East come playoffs.

This season:) Barrie, Kingston, Niagara were pretty good teams last season

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

That's as much talent as any team. If the Hounds played the same way against London or Erie, it would have been tight.

Dirty is absolutely wrong in saying that Hounds were 'not contending'' last year. They weren't the best team certainly, but absolutely had a shot if they played their best game.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That's as much talent as any team. If the Hounds played the same way against London or Erie, it would have been tight.

Dirty is absolutely wrong in saying that Hounds were 'not contending'' last year. They weren't the best team certainly, but absolutely had a shot if they played their best game.

London was so concerned about the competition that they parted with a 4th for a checker; after trading an 18 yr old and three 17yr olds for a plethora :) of picks.

I guess the Soo felt so confident in their chances that they essentially did nothing?

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
London was so concerned about the competition that they parted with a 4th for a checker; after trading an 18 yr old and three 17yr olds for a plethora :) of picks.

I guess the Soo felt so confident in their chances that they essentially did nothing?

You are resorting to hyperbole to cover up the fact that you are wrong again.

You know exactly why London made those moves (roster space) and why the Hounds weren't in a position to make a big trade (no picks).

The fact that you think either team made moves based on some ridiculous notion that the playoffs were already decided is hilarious.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You are resorting to hyperbole to cover up the fact that you are wrong again.

You know exactly why London made those moves (roster space) and why the Hounds weren't in a position to make a big trade (no picks).

The fact that you think either team made moves based on some ridiculous notion that the playoffs were already decided is hilarious.

Wrong about the Soo being a contender last season? No.
Wrong about the Soo being among the top teams for several years? No.
15/16 - 7; 14/15 - 1; 13/14 - 4; 12/13 - 6; 11/12 - 9; 10/11 - 10; 9/10 - 5; 8/9 - 10. That's just among the western conference. There may have been better eastern teams too. And, I'm not nearly convinced that the hounds use of analytics, supposed good drafting and player development will keep them from a run with the lower teams in the near future.
Do I know exactly why London does anything? No! It appears that they were able to unload players and still run the table, though. And, I believe running into the 7th seed during playoffs was the least of London's concerns

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I can't compete with this level of stupidity and persistence. Every time I correct your obvious errors, I get another incoherent rant rife with factual errors.

Teams with less money and poor geography probably shouldn't even bother at this point. There has never been a successful one.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I can't compete with this level of stupidity and persistence. Every time I correct your obvious errors, I get another incoherent rant rife with factual errors.

Teams with less money and poor geography probably shouldn't even bother at this point. There has never been a successful one.

Are you angry? :)
When I saw that only Ottawa had equal travel compared to the Soo, I stated the difference was greater than I thought; just not nearly equal to 'by far the most travel & no team is even close'.
When I saw Sarnia was indeed picked by more than the Soo to win, I stated was wrong.

You really think I'm wrong in saying the Soo has not been among the top teams in the league when they have finishes of 5,6,7,9,10,10 in their conference over 8 seasons?

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
The OHL has had 18 seasons of the 20 team two conference set-up. When you look at the Conference Champions in this time-frame you will see just one Eastern Conference team has failed to reach the finals:

Barrie 4
Ottawa 3
Icedogs 3
NB/Brampton 2
Ham/Bellville 2
Oshawa 1
Peterborough 1
Sudbury 1
Miss/St. Mikes 1
Kingston 0

In the Western Conference, 3 teams have yet to reach the finals in the past 18 years:

London 6
Flint/Plymouth 3
Erie 2
Guelph 2
Kitchener 2
Windsor 2
Owen Sound 1
Saginaw 0
Sarnia 0
Soo 0

So, in the Western Conference at least, if your city starts with the letter "S", you are *hit out of luck. LOL.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
London; yuck! :)
Under the conference format; nine teams have to get by London to reach the final, it seems. In the last several years, that team would have to be loaded. The easiest way, at least; is to run a team in cycles. If a team has toiled near the bottom long enough, drafts a great player, and finds a great coach; then, they can be among the best for a few seasons. So, when I say that your team has not been among the top teams in the league for several years, please don't take offence and resort to insults.

i am papa bear

Dec 2, 2014
What determines draft order? I can't make sense of it looking at last season's standings.
I know Flint was penalized, but why do teams that finish with the most points in the league get to pick 18,19 and 17,16?
Maybe years of this explains a discrepancy due to East teams drafting later than they should if only based on points at season's end.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
What determines draft order? I can't make sense of it looking at last season's standings.
I know Flint was penalized, but why do teams that finish with the most points in the league get to pick 18,19 and 17,16?
Maybe years of this explains a discrepancy due to East teams drafting later than they should if only based on points at season's end.

Not sure what you don't understand. I think Flint lost 2 spots because of penalty. Windsor didn't get a pick because of sanction. Barrie got a comp pick because Tortora didn't show and they traded his rights. Non play off teams pick before playoff teams. It's straightforward unless you're conspiracy hunting.

Pick
1 Guelph 32 points non playoff
2 Sudbury 38 points non playoff
3 Hamilton 58 points non playoff
4 Saginaw 56 points
5 Flint 46 points non playoff penalty
6 Oshawa 62 points
7 Mississauga 71 points
8 Peterborough 73 points
9 SSM 74 points
10 Owen Sound 75 points
11 Ottawa 75 points