Early WC 2022 predictions.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
...Pavard isn't starting now, when it's safe for french-Jogi to experiment and he's not feeling the pressure of tournament football...
DD is pragmatic though. He hasn't lost in 2022 nor 2021.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I worry we'll ultimately fall short of what we might've done because Neuer (and to a lesser extent, Müller) didn't retire with Kroos...and our lack of midfield depth means we really need Kimmich to be fit...but I haven't been this excited for a tourney since 2014.

...maybe 2016, but Jogi's ultimate squad left me disappointed heading in; he picked too many of his favs (Poldi, Schurrle, Can, & Mustafi) over more talented & in-form kids (Brandt, Gundogan, Süle).

My current guess at our starting 11 & the full 26 (assuming everyone is fit):

4-2-3-1 (lopsided)
Havertz
Sane - Müller - Gnabry
Kimmich - Goretzka
Raum - Schlotterbeck - Süle - Kehrer
Neuer

Bench:
ATT: Wirtz, Musiala, Adeyemi, Werner
MF: Gundogan, Neuhaus
WB: Gosens, Hofmann*, Baku*
CB: Ginter, Rüdiger, Klostermann
GK: ter Stegen, Trapp

*both can also provide depth to the attack & midfield

Final spot (my order of preference):
Burkardt / Schade / Draxler / Reus / Nmecha / Brandt / Volland
or
Dahoud / Stach / Andrich / Can / Weigl / Arnold / Geiger / Stiller

Alternate shape (3-4-3):
Havertz/Gnabry
Sane - Müller/Gnabry
Raum/Gosens - Kimmich - Goretzka - Hofmann/Baku
Schlotterbeck - Süle - Kehrer
Neuer

I have a strange feeling that Draxler will have a phenomenal tourney if selected; managing to look like the talent everyone expected him to be...for that month...before going back to the complacent underachiever that he has been since leaving Schalke.

But I wouldn't pick him over any of 8 attackers that I have in the 25 locks (if fit), just based on that hunch, and I would prefer Burkardt if we took a 9th attacker/creative...11th if we don't count Hofmann & Baku as wingbacks or midfielders.

Though Draxler's versatility could be a mark in his favor for that final spot...as he can give us some more cover in the midfield (and maybe even WB), as well, if Flick keeps him motivated & focused.
No chance for Deniz Undav? He has 25 goals and 8 assists in belgian league this season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No chance for Deniz Undav? He has 25 goals and 8 assists in belgian league this season.
I doubt it. We've already got more quality attackers than spots for them all, even with some injuries; while other options are more proven & have more practice time in with the rest of the squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad