Early WC 2022 predictions.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I know we are a good few months off, and are still missing 3 teams - But I would love to see who people think will advance from the groups and why - Possibly also who will win in the knockout phase.

I will also ad the 3 missing teams I think will be in the groups.

Remember this is just one guys opinion, and chances are it will all be wrong, so take no offence, and just give your opinion.

Also, you don't have to TLDR like me, if you don't have the time or motivation to do so.

Group A
Senegal
Netherlands
Ecuador
Qatar

For me, this is a hard group to decide - The Netherlands are such hit or miss team. I really fancy Senegal, and think they will get first on goal difference. Ecuador I know little about, they did finish 3rd in strong CONMEBOL, but I think The Netherlands and Senegal will prove to strong - Sorry Qatar, maybe I underrate you, but I just do not fancy you at all.

Group B
England
USA
Wales
Iran

Something deep inside me, really wants' to say England does not get out of this group.
The US, always seem to find a way, and will get out. I was close to putting Wales and the US through. But, I think England will continue on form and go through as 1st. Think it will be close between the US and Wales tho, maybe even same amount of pts. Iran, I might be underselling them, but my knowledge of their team is very limited.

Group C
Argentina
Mexico
Poland
KSA

Pretty straight forward group for me.
Possibly Messis last WC, he will want go far.
Mexico seem stronger than Poland, who seemed a little weak in quali, and even against Sweden - BUT, they have Lewa.
KSA will have no chance in this group.

Group D
France
Peru
Denmark
Tunisia

This one hurt, as Denmark is one of my teams - I think France will be too strong for anyone in this group. And Peru, while not as good as Denmark on paper, are a pretty good team. - We beat them in 2018, but really struggled against them, sure we have a different team this time around, a better team, but I just have sneaky feeling we do not get out of this group.

It would help if I knew more about Peru as a team, I know very little of them. Tunisia I know, and I really do not rate them.

Group E
Germany
Spain
Costa Rica
Japan

Germany will Germany this group - Spain are a good team, but all they do is pass pass pass. Costa Rica suprised last time they were in.
For me, Japan and Costa Rica are interchangeable.

Group F
Belgium
Morocco
Croatia
Canada

Another hard group for me, as Canada is my second team. We have a good set of attacking players, but we have a weak backline, and IMO, this will be exposed against tougher opponents at the WC. Have a sneaky feeling Croatia fall short and Morocco go through.
While Belgium are declining, I still think they take this group without too much trouble.

Group G
Brazil
Switzerland
Cameroon
Serbia

This was the hardest group for me, I think it is a very strong group with 3 very strong teams and 1 decent team in Serbia.
Brazil were very good in their CONMEBOL qualification, and are hungry for success, think the Swiss will give them a run for their money, as will Cameroon. I think few pts will seperate 1,2 and 3.
Cameroon are strong as well, but my bias for the Swiss makes me pick them over Cameroon.

Group H
Portugal
Uruguay
Ghana
South Korea

Honestly, depending on coaching, I could see Portugal finish anywhere from 4th to 1st. But in pure talent and manpower, I have to pick them at #1.
Think Ghana look a bit weaker than usual and that Uruguay will be stronger.
South Korea while a decent team, wont be able to compete this time around.

Round of 16

Senegal -
USA - Senegal too strong for the US.

Netherlands - England - England more consistent the last few years, think they take this one.

Argentina -
Peru - Again, Messi wants to go far, and Argentina know Peru well.

France - Mexico - France take Mexico no trouble at all.

Germany - Morocco - Morocco no match for Germany.

Belgium - Spain - Think Belgium fall short against Spain.

Brazil - Uruguay - Brazil know Uruguay well, and will take this one.

Portugal - Switzerland - YES, I really fancy the Swiss.

QF

Brazil -
Germany - Brazil too strong for Germany.

Senegal - Argentina - Messi still wants to show the world he is better than Ronaldo.

Switzerland - Spain - I still really fancy this Swiss team.

France - England - France will get rid of the WC curse.

SF

Argentina
- Brazil - Could this be the year?
France - Switzerland - France go for the repeat.

Final

Argentina
- France - I think Argentina finally do it.

Hopefully I got the matchups correct.

Brazil take 3rd place.

Last edited:
Reactions: al secord

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I worry we'll ultimately fall short of what we might've done because Neuer (and to a lesser extent, Müller) didn't retire with Kroos...and our lack of midfield depth means we really need Kimmich to be fit...but I haven't been this excited for a tourney since 2014.

...maybe 2016, but Jogi's ultimate squad left me disappointed heading in; he picked too many of his favs (Poldi, Schurrle, Can, & Mustafi) over more talented & in-form kids (Brandt, Gundogan, Süle).

My current guess at our starting 11 & the full 26 (assuming everyone is fit):

4-2-3-1 (lopsided)
Havertz
Sane - Müller - Gnabry
Kimmich - Goretzka
Raum - Schlotterbeck - Süle - Kehrer
Neuer

Bench:
ATT: Wirtz, Musiala, Adeyemi, Werner
MF: Gundogan, Neuhaus
WB: Gosens, Hofmann*, Baku*
CB: Ginter, Rüdiger, Klostermann
GK: ter Stegen, Trapp

*both can also provide depth to the attack & midfield

Final spot (my order of preference):
Burkardt / Schade / Draxler / Reus / Nmecha / Brandt / Volland
or
Dahoud / Stach / Andrich / Can / Weigl / Arnold / Geiger / Stiller

Alternate shape (3-4-3):
Havertz/Gnabry
Sane - Müller/Gnabry
Raum/Gosens - Kimmich - Goretzka - Hofmann/Baku
Schlotterbeck - Süle - Kehrer
Neuer

I have a strange feeling that Draxler will have a phenomenal tourney if selected; managing to look like the talent everyone expected him to be...for that month...before going back to the complacent underachiever that he has been since leaving Schalke.

But I wouldn't pick him over any of 8 attackers that I have in the 25 locks (if fit), just based on that hunch, and I would prefer Burkardt if we took a 9th attacker/creative...11th if we don't count Hofmann & Baku as wingbacks or midfielders.

Though Draxler's versatility could be a mark in his favor for that final spot...as he can give us some more cover in the midfield (and maybe even WB), as well, if Flick keeps him motivated & focused.

Last edited:

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Wow this tournament has way too many teams Germany-Spain is only contender matchup in groups.

Vamos Vamos Argentina! Hope we see last year's Copa America Messi there.

Reactions: al secord

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I see the sentiment to get Messi his WC trophy, but I don't think they are truly that strong a team. South American teams got a break in a really poor showing from the mid-tier teams. Colombia and Chile just did not show up for whatever reason. Ecuador and Peru benefit from it but that doesn't make them better squads than those two. So Brazil and Argentina just have inflated records because aging Uruguay was the only decent opponent. Of course both have the talent to win it all, just don't think they are as good as advertised. And if Peru is the team I don't see them getting by Denmark. And I wouldn't doubt Ecuador is 4th in their group, I'm not going to underestimate Qatar at home. Senegal and Ecuador are going to send pretty much no fans to the tournament, those matches' environment should hugely favor Qatar.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I see the sentiment to get Messi his WC trophy, but I don't think they are truly that strong a team. South American teams got a break in a really poor showing from the mid-tier teams. Colombia and Chile just did not show up for whatever reason. Ecuador and Peru benefit from it but that doesn't make them better squads than those two. So Brazil and Argentina just have inflated records because aging Uruguay was the only decent opponent. Of course both have the talent to win it all, just don't think they are as good as advertised. And if Peru is the team I don't see them getting by Denmark. And I wouldn't doubt Ecuador is 4th in their group, I'm not going to underestimate Qatar at home. Senegal and Ecuador are going to send pretty much no fans to the tournament, those matches' environment should hugely favor Qatar.

Both have looked a lot more cohesive & well organized under their new coaches than they have in many years. I would be very hesitant to write their progress off to Chile & Colombia's regression...though I do still think we can take either of them; now that we've got a new competent coach of our own.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Colombia and Chile both regressed so badly in some part because they switched coaches part way through. Same guy caused them to both miss. That being said Ecuador and Peru are good teams. I'd easily put Argentina in the second tier away from France, who are really the only first tier favorite if we're being honest about all this.

To comment on the first post I think people will enjoy how Qatar plays. They won't advance, but it won't be for lack of trying. They play extremely attacking, defending is not really their agenda. If there's any prop bet with good odds on them scoring in a match I would take it.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I would be so confident putting the US ahead of Wales much less England. Bale has been saving himself for the golf course and international duty.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I would be so confident putting the US ahead of Wales much less England. Bale has been saving himself for the golf course and international duty.
Meh, Wales have been over-rated for a cycle or two, now. They're not bad, and could certainly advance over a very young american team, but I also wouldn't be shocked if they finished bottom of that group.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
First and foremost, I have Wales, Peru and Costa Rica winning their playoff

Anyway the knockout phase, don't have too many surprises, I do see Portugal choking this tournament under Santos and have Korea advancing, there is usually one outsider to do it so I picked them

Netherlands vs. USA
Argentina vs. Denmark
Spain vs. Croatia
Brazil vs. South Korea
England vs. Senegal
France vs. Mexico
Belgium vs. Germany
Uruguay
vs. Serbia

Netherlands vs. Argentina
Spain vs. Brazil
England vs. France
Germany
vs. Uruguay

Argentina vs. Brazil
France
vs. Germany

Brazil vs. France

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
First and foremost, I have Wales, Peru and Costa Rica winning their playoff

Anyway the knockout phase, don't have too many surprises, I do see Portugal choking this tournament under Santos and have Korea advancing, there is usually one outsider to do it so I picked them

Netherlands vs. USA
Argentina vs. Denmark
Spain vs. Croatia
Brazil vs. South Korea
England vs. Senegal
France vs. Mexico
Belgium vs. Germany
Uruguay
vs. Serbia

Netherlands vs. Argentina
Spain vs. Brazil
England vs. France
Germany
vs. Uruguay

Argentina vs. Brazil
France
vs. Germany

Brazil vs. France
To many french defenders play in the BuLi for them to win :naughty:

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Here's what I got for my last 8:

Argentina over USA
Spain over Brazil
France over England
Germany over Portugal

Spain over Argentina
France over Germany

France over Spain

It was very difficult once it got to the last 8 tbh (except for Argentina shredding USA)

The Germany-Portugal game is 50/50 to me as is Spain/Brazil. Of course, those games could also be flipped depending on the group stage. I like this Spain team quite a bit however so I picked them to overcome Brazil in a barn burner.

I think Flick has Germany playing very positively and Santos of course has Portugal very...not. So I picked Germany heads up there.

Now, if Germany/Spain flip in the group stage, give me:

Argentina over USA
Brazil over Germany
France over England
Spain over Portugal

Argentina over Brazil
France over Spain

Argentina-France idk. Logical move is to pick France imo but Argentina in that stage again would be hard to pick against.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
I personally feel the weather will be the big story for this world cup. It will play a huge factor imo.

Second Round

Holland vs Iran 2-1
Mexico vs Tunisia 1-1 (4-5)
Spain vs Morocco 2-0
Brazil vs Portugal 2-2 (6-7)
England vs Ecuador 0-0 (4-5)
France vs Argentina 2-1 ET
Belgium vs Germany 1-1 (7-6)
Senegal vs Cameroon 3-3 (5-4)

Q-Finals

Holland vs Tunisia 2-0
Spain vs Portugal 1-1 (4-5)
Ecuador vs France 0-2
Belgium vs Senegal 1-1 (4-5)

S-Finals

Holland vs Portugal 2-3 ET
France vs Senegal 2-2 (6-7)

Final

Senegal 2
Portugal 1

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Hope people are correct with regards to Peru.

Denmark need a good WC campaign. Always been a tourney we struggle with - Even when we have been considered a darkhorse - Like in 1986.

It annoys me, that some groups can't prepare properly since we won't know for sure who will be the last team.

If it is Peru, I just have a fear that it will be like 2018, if I am honest, we were lucky to come away with 3pts in that game - It has to be said tho, that I think we severely underrated them in 2018.

We are a much better team since then, but I am not sure what Peru look like compared to 2018.

I see one poster has Tunisia going through, I mean anything can happen, but the times I have watched them I have not come away impressed.

And, on paper they also seem rather weak.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I personally feel the weather will be the big story for this world cup. It will play a huge factor imo.

Second Round

Holland vs Iran 2-1
Mexico vs Tunisia 1-1 (4-5)
Spain vs Morocco 2-0
Brazil vs Portugal 2-2 (6-7)
England vs Ecuador 0-0 (4-5)
France vs Argentina 2-1 ET
Belgium vs Germany 1-1 (7-6)
Senegal vs Cameroon 3-3 (5-4)

Q-Finals

Holland vs Tunisia 2-0
Spain vs Portugal 1-1 (4-5)
Ecuador vs France 0-2
Belgium vs Senegal 1-1 (4-5)

S-Finals

Holland vs Portugal 2-3 ET
France vs Senegal 2-2 (6-7)

Final

Senegal 2
Portugal 1
Huh - This is a different take. Might not agree with it, but it's fresh.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Hope people are correct with regards to Peru.

Denmark need a good WC campaign. Always been a tourney we struggle with - Even when we have been considered a darkhorse - Like in 1986.

It annoys me, that some groups can't prepare properly since we won't know for sure who will be the last team.

If it is Peru, I just have a fear that it will be like 2018, if I am honest, we were lucky to come away with 3pts in that game - It has to be said tho, that I think we severely underrated them in 2018.

We are a much better team since then, but I am not sure what Peru look like compared to 2018.

Peru is just older, basically. Most South American teams don't bring in new players unless they have to. Other than strikers their team is the same, they still play good football too, they aren't coming there just to try to steal a point. The only teams that brought in a decent amount of new players for qualifying were Uruguay and Ecuador, and look where they are now.

South American football has also trended more towards chaotic high paced football in the last few years so I'm very interested to see how that works out against more structured teams from Europe.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Peru is just older, basically. Most South American teams don't bring in new players unless they have to. Other than strikers their team is the same, they still play good football too, they aren't coming there just to try to steal a point. The only teams that brought in a decent amount of new players for qualifying were Uruguay and Ecuador, and look where they are now.

South American football has also trended more towards chaotic high paced football in the last few years so I'm very interested to see how that works out against more structured teams from Europe.
Still a fast, attack attack team?

I was pleasantly suprised by them in 2018 - Shocked us completely.
Wanted to have the ball, wanted to attack, crisp passing and quite fast aswell.

And, in 2018, they were just relentlessly chasing the ball, pressing very high, and seemed to have staminas above any team we had faced in a long time.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Still a fast, attack attack team?

I was pleasantly suprised by them in 2018 - Shocked us completely.
Wanted to have the ball, wanted to attack, crisp passing and quite fast aswell.

And, in 2018, they were just relentlessly chasing the ball, pressing very high, and seemed to have staminas above any team we had faced in a long time.

Yep. They can't finish very well, but they are going to attack quickly when they get the ball.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Yep. They can't finish very well, but they are going to attack quickly when they get the ball.
We are better down the middle than back in 2018 - And have a more experienced Christensen, aswell as better depth.

But our wingbacks could struggle with that.

Ahh well, here is hoping we get out that group, just to face Argentina in the round of 16 - Always the worst luck in WC draws and matchups.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Perfectly optimistic about that one. Coman has played a RWB. Pavard is not starting anymore since we're playing 3-4-3.
...Pavard isn't starting now, when it's safe for french-Jogi to experiment and he's not feeling the pressure of tournament football...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad