Line Combos: Early 2022-2023 Line combo predictions

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Am I the only person who liked what he saw from Hamonic?

I don't think the Chabot-Hamonic pairing worked very well, but prior to that I thought the guy had looked really good.
I think it was Holden and Hamonic who looked good shutting other teams down, or MDZ and Hamonic. He’s been solid for us, much like Holden.

One thing I noticed and liked was that once He and MDZ were back in the lineup, they were taking shots from the blue line all of a sudden and our D became shooting threats when they were on the ice.

Our other D don’t shoot the puck enough.

Reactions: Cosmix

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
I couldn't imagine using 5v5 points per 60 or plus freaking minus as metrics to determine that a 20 year old who played 1.25ish years of his 2 year NHL career as a winger, and looked exponentially better as a center, should go back to playing wing...

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Stutzle - Brown (Until TDL, likely replaced with Joseph)
Joseph - Pinto - White
Kelly - Gambrell - Watson
Kastelic

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Holden - Brannstrom (can swap these two around)
Zaitsev

Forsberg
Gus/Murray

if Brown honestly and truly still wants out by the trade deadline, then we need either Formenton and Joseph to become top 6 forwards, or to acquire 2 top 6 forwards now... and we still need a top 2 RHD. If we draft one of Jiricek, Nemec or Gauthier, I will accept acquiring 1/2 of those 3 pieces... also if Forsberg doesn't play the way he ended last year, this team is not improving to the point of playoff contention.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I'm anticipating some rather substantial turnover on the roster. Dorion is ready to go hard.

MDZ bought out
Murray bought out
White traded for a 3rd line winger with a smaller but still undesirable contract [Armia?]
Trade for a top-6 winger

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Stutzle-XXXX [Fiala/Bailey/Kapanen]
Armia-Pinto-Brown
Joseph-Gambrell-Watson
Kelly

Chabot-Hamonic
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Holden
Zaitsev

Forsberg
Gustavsson

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No offense but that top-6 is WOOF.

Ain't going anywhere again this upcoming season if we have both Brown and Joseph on the top two lines.
It's a work in process for sure, but Brown put up a 50 pts pace with us this year, I think he can be a complimentary top 6 player. I also see Joseph as having some untapped potential, he was pretty effective for us in his short time here so far, 12 pts and +8 in 11 games. This represents only what we have in hand right now, I doubt we start next year looking like that.

That being said, we can shop the UFA market and make trades, I'd love to entice Giroux to the team, which would make a big impact up front for the short term. Chychrun would be an amazing add for the backend that works long term assuming we can re-sign him.

We have a pile of tradable assets to improve; 7 OA, Brannstrom, C.Brown, JBD/Thomson (I'd only move one), Boucher, Sokolov, Greig, Kleven, one of Gus/Sogaard/Mandolese/Marilainen, they can't all be on the team, something will have to give.

Reactions: DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Can't wait to see who Dorion brings in to upgrade this team. Reserving the lineup till then

Dorion has compiled a full roster of NHL contract players; whatever he brings in will likely not impress many posters here.

I'm anticipating some rather substantial turnover on the roster. Dorion is ready to go hard.

MDZ bought out
Murray bought out
White traded for a 3rd line winger with a smaller but still undesirable contract [Armia?]
Trade for a top-6 winger

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Stutzle-XXXX [Fiala/Bailey/Kapanen]
Armia-Pinto-Brown
Joseph-Gambrell-Watson
Kelly

Chabot-Hamonic
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Holden
Zaitsev

Forsberg
Gustavsson
We will see how things look in October. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I couldn't imagine using 5v5 points per 60 or plus freaking minus as metrics to determine that a 20 year old who played 1.25ish years of his 2 year NHL career as a winger, and looked exponentially better as a center, should go back to playing wing...

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Stutzle - Brown (Until TDL, likely replaced with Joseph)
Joseph - Pinto - White
Kelly - Gambrell - Watson
Kastelic

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Holden - Brannstrom (can swap these two around)
Zaitsev

Forsberg
Gus/Murray

if Brown honestly and truly still wants out by the trade deadline, then we need either Formenton and Joseph to become top 6 forwards, or to acquire 2 top 6 forwards now... and we still need a top 2 RHD. If we draft one of Jiricek, Nemec or Gauthier, I will accept acquiring 1/2 of those 3 pieces... also if Forsberg doesn't play the way he ended last year, this team is not improving to the point of playoff contention.

Playoffs will require a better roster including 2 top 6 forwards and top 4 RD. I doubt this team will be competing for a playoff spot in March next year.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Did you watch the games? There was a noticeable improvement once he switched to centre.

You know why he’s turning over pucks? Because he’s one of the youngest players in the league. Putting him on the wing is not the solution.

He was fourth on the team in points per 60 last year and way more productive as a rookie winger in that regard.
His improvement did not happen in reality he had a massive step back, 0.5 P/60 is a large loss of production.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Did, you watch the games?

Yes I did, Stuu is skilled and should turn into a star player but hockey is a lot more than just dekes. He always starts pulling moves no matter what including when he is in his own zone, He needs to use his team more and deke less.
He looks overwhelmed when he gets the puck in the slot, he continues to force bad passes to people who are covered and his wingers are starting to hang back because they end up being caught if they go in deep.
He is young and skilled enough to figure it out so I have no doubt he will be a star sooner than later
that being said he is not playing a team sport right now, he is trying to one man show it.
He is getting outscored close to 2:1 at even strength. That is a real problem and not even close to good enough to win games. Top centers have to be way more responsible than that.
With his speed there is zero reason to give up twice as many goals as he gets so I am not sure how anyone can suggest he is playing great as a center

Last edited by a moderator:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes I did, Stuu is skilled and should turn into a star player but hockey is a lot more than just dekes. He always starts pulling moves no matter what including when he is in his own zone, He needs to use his team more and deke less.
He looks overwhelmed when he gets the puck in the slot, he continues to force bad passes to people who are covered and his wingers are starting to hang back because they end up being caught if they go in deep.
He is young and skilled enough to figure it out so I have no doubt he will be a star sooner than later
that being said he is not playing a team sport right now, he is trying to one man show it.
He is getting outscored close to 2:1 at even strength. That is a real problem and not even close to good enough to win games. Top centers have to be way more responsible than that.
With his speed there is zero reason to give up twice as many goals as he gets so I am not sure how anyone can suggest he is playing great as a center
Most of his poor plus minus comes from EN scenarios and 4v4. Not sure why but he struggled hard with the net empty and 4v4

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Stutzle - Pinto - C. Brown

😄

Love your posts aragorn because you bring a perspective we need to hear on this board, but I have to disagree with Stü on the wing. I would rather see Zaitzev on the wing to try and find somewhere he can be a positive contributor than play Stützle there (and no, I don't want to see Zaitzev on the wing).

At center Stützle looked like a new and better player. He gets neutralized physically when he plays close to the boards. In the middle he can utilize his creativity and skating so much better. He got better and better defensively as the year went on. He's still a work in progress, but he is our most talented player and should be put where he can maximize his strengths. That place is center.

Saying we should play Stü on the wing is like saying we should have played Karlsson at forward. It's a misunderstanding of his skillset, how he sees the game, and how he creates offense. I just won't have it.

• Haha
Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
😄

Love your posts aragorn because you bring a perspective we need to hear on this board, but I have to disagree with Stü on the wing. I would rather see Zaitzev on the wing to try and find somewhere he can be a positive contributor than play Stützle there (and no, I don't want to see Zaitzev on the wing).

At center Stützle looked like a new and better player. He gets neutralized physically when he plays close to the boards. In the middle he can utilize his creativity and skating so much better. He got better and better defensively as the year went on. He's still a work in progress, but he is our most talented player and should be put where he can maximize his strengths. That place is center.

Saying we should play Stü on the wing is like saying we should have played Karlsson at forward. It's a misunderstanding of his skillset, how he sees the game, and how he creates offense. I just won't have it.
He should play where it helps the team the most to win & be successful, I doubt whether he cares as much as fans where he plays as long as he is contributing, he will be happy.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Here's who I'd want
Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Giroux Stu Puljujarvi
Formenton Pinto Joseph
Watson Kastelic Kelly

Chabot Zub
Sanderson McDonagh
Holden Brannstrom
Forsberg/Gus

Here's what I think happens
Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Formenton Stu Brown
Pinto Joseph Carpenter/Comeau (some plug that Dorion acquires
Watson Gambrell Ennis (probably re-signed Ennis)

Chabot Hamonic
Sanderson Zub
Holden Zaitsev

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok, updated lines

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Joseph-Stutzle-DeBrincat
Formenton-Pinto-Brown
Kelly-Gambrell/Kastelic-Watson

Looks dangerous up front at least.

Ad