EA sports is bringing back NCAA Football

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
My interest in college football died without these games, which I always liked more than Madden, so it'll be interesting if that's something that they even know how to revitalize this after a miserable generation of gambling mechanics and ignoring gameplay and franchise modes across the board.

Reactions: DaveG
Sep 19, 2008
Basically they cut the NCAA out and only have the school names

No players, no likenesses

From the Washington Post:
EA Sports currently does not plan for the new college football game to feature the names, images or likenesses of existing college players and has struck a licensing deal with a large number of college football programs through a new deal with CLC. In essence, that deal sidesteps the NCAA, which was also dropped from the game’s name in favor of the broader “College Football” moniker.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Basically they cut the NCAA out and only have the school names

No players, no likenesses

From the Washington Post:
EA Sports currently does not plan for the new college football game to feature the names, images or likenesses of existing college players and has struck a licensing deal with a large number of college football programs through a new deal with CLC. In essence, that deal sidesteps the NCAA, which was also dropped from the game’s name in favor of the broader “College Football” moniker.
Has the NCAA games ever had existing college players? It's been a while since I last played it but I remember the names being random.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Has the NCAA games ever had existing college players? It's been a while since I last played it but I remember the names being random.
there was a randomized name option, but out of the box they weren't random iirc
For example, instead of Tim Tebow, his name would be "QB #15" and he'd have Tebow's irl Class, Hgt/Wgt, Hometown etc

So if the game existed this year, Trevor Lawrence would've been Clemson QB #16 Junior 6'6 Knoxville, TN 99OVR

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
So if i got this right, the game will essentially be the same as it was, just dropping the NCAA moniker? That's great. Student athletes get screwed but they can't seem to win either way so whatever. You can't really do a college game without the colleges so i guess this is the best compromise as much as it sucks for the players.

NCAA was considered by many to be better than Madden (back when Madden was actually still decent) because of its sheer amount of customization and tighter gameplay. For the love of everything that is holy keep the Madden team away from this and have it be the more simulation based game while Madden goes and becomes whatever abortion it is now.

Edit: For those curious what schools are covered in the CLC organization EA sports signed a deal with, here's the list; https://clc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/CLC-Client-List-as-of-January-2020.pdf

Pretty much every big school is there sans a few concerning ones (A good chunk of the Big Ten) but i'm sure EA could just go to the schools directly if need be since a few of the missing ones on the list pop up in Madden as choices to play at for career mode.

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
So if i got this right, the game will essentially be the same as it was, just dropping the NCAA moniker? That's great. Student athletes get screwed but they can't seem to win either way so whatever. You can't really do a college game without the colleges so i guess this is the best compromise as much as it sucks for the players.

NCAA was considered by many to be better than Madden (back when Madden was actually still decent) because of its sheer amount of customization and tighter gameplay. For the love of everything that is holy keep the Madden team away from this and have it be the more simulation based game while Madden goes and becomes whatever abortion it is now.

Edit: For those curious what schools are covered in the CLC organization EA sports signed a deal with, here's the list; https://clc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/CLC-Client-List-as-of-January-2020.pdf

Pretty much every big school is there sans a few concerning ones (A good chunk of the Big Ten) but i'm sure EA could just go to the schools directly if need be since a few of the missing ones on the list pop up in Madden as choices to play at for career mode.
Wait, am I blind? No Notre Dame?

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
They also said it won't be back for the 2021 season. Thus 2022 will be the potential first version, aka it's gonna be a awhile and they have the time to add other schools.

IMO, it's a bit premature to get excited about this title.

Reactions: CPTN71

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Interesting how they’re going around the NCAA. I hope that doesn’t end up with a lot of generic placeholders. As bad as I want college football, I don’t want to see the Notre Fame Fighting Scottish take on the University of George cocker spaniels in the Flour Bowl.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
100% guaranteed to be a disappointment compared to NCAA Football 2014 and I'm still doubtful they'll actually be able to make another game... But SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

Sep 19, 2008
Interesting how they’re going around the NCAA. I hope that doesn’t end up with a lot of generic placeholders. As bad as I want college football, I don’t want to see the Notre Fame Fighting Scottish take on the University of George cocker spaniels in the Flour Bowl.
meh they do the same in PES when they don't have the license and people seem to like PES

Things might have changed but Arsenal was always "North London" :laugh:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

EA is free to negotiate with schools individually along with conferences and rights holders for the big bowl games.

This game's a long way away but i'm pretty sure all of the big boy schools will be there. If they want to get this game off the ground they need every shred of legitimacy they can get.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
As long as recruiting isn't easy to exploit, this should make for better road to glory type career modes than other sports games.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
What schools are included and which ones aren't, along with the ability to create/edit teams likely makes or breaks this.

Notre Dame not being there wouldn't bother me because **** Notre Dame, but if there's no way for me to play as my alma mater (Montana) I'll quickly be disinterested. The fun of those games, to me, was always building a cupcake into a powerhouse. Oddly enough EA Sports including those 1-AA schools in those PS2/Xbox versions is what made me a 'fan' of Montana football in the first place. I didn't choose to go there because of football, but I may not have paid as much attention to the school had I not spent my high school years turning a random 1-AA school into Alabama.

If Madden + NHL + NBA Live weren’t so shitty, I’d be pretty pumped for this...but they are. Expectations=0

I haven't loved an EA Sports game since NCAA Football was still being made, so...yeah, same.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
EA does a lot of questionable things, but between this and Skate coming back, I'm hyped. Used to play this yearly, but I haven't played a sports game since I bought Madden 18 and played it maybe a total of 5 times. Hoping for a great franchise mode, but if I know EA it is going to be all about ultimate team and microtransactions.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I'll be excited about this... when they actually have a launch date/time frame. So far its just "a couple years" :laugh:

Entire announcement seems premature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad