E3 2017 | Sony and Nintendo

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Then you pay more and get it somewhere else. Not sure why anyone gets digital anymore when you can sell back physical copies for money.

Basically I get the 20% from amazon, pay 49.00 Play the game for a couple weeks/months till i get bored, sell it back for 25-$30. It's like i only pay $20-25.

To this day, the only game I've resold or wanted to re-sell was Killzone: Shadow Fall.

I'm confident in my purchases. I'd rather save the shelf space and not have to change disks.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
To this day, the only game I've resold or wanted to re-sell was Killzone: Shadow Fall.

I'm confident in my purchases. I'd rather save the shelf space and not have to change disks.

Damn. Only games I have kept are witcher 3 complete and madden 16. Have uc4 but will sell it after the gf finishes it. Picked it up on ebay for 14$ so I'll be happy to get 10$ for it.

I'm confident in my purchases as well but I know there is a slim chance I will go back to play them again unless it's a masterpiece like witcher 3. Digital only would be terrible for someone like me. Hope it doesn't come until the next generation.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hope it doesn't come until the next generation.

I'm pretty confident there will be a "half in the pool" generation where they offer discounted digital games next to regularly priced retail copies. If they can get below $40 US, I think they'll convert a lot of people. Plenty of people are already switching to digital as is, so it won't take much.

They will need a more robust refund system or one will be created after publishers inevitably dump broken games on digital buyers. I personally feel that the trade in churn and pre-order culture are responsible for a lot of the worst aspects of gaming nowadays so I really won't mind the change. PC converted years ago and it's great. Unless you live in an area with rough internet or capped internet, I feel like there isn't much to fear.

We're almost to a point where a generation will be defined by architecture and backwards compatibility vs the hardware, because there are surely more Pros and 1Xs on the way. It will be interesting to see how Sony and MS deal with letting you keep a library...

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
The highlight for me: A WAY OUT.

That game cant come out soon enough. Looks like a safe bet for game of the year in 2018. EA stepping up their game!

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The highlight for me: A WAY OUT.

That game cant come out soon enough. Looks like a safe bet for game of the year in 2018. EA stepping up their game!

You might like it enough but there's 0 chance it's game of the year

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Well hopefully they don't all get released at once. LOL

I ended up pre ordering:

Sea of Thieves
Assassin's Creed Origins
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Kingdom Hearts 3

God of War
Gran Turismo Sport
Spiderman

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Sounds like pre ordering is different now? Back in my day a preorder meant you paid like $5 to "save" a copy of the game for yourself to go pickup and that $5 went towards the game price at pickup. I always considered it worthless because I never once went to go buy a game and you couldn't find it anywhere.

Nowadays pre-orders look like they give you an actual discount on the game price? like $50 instead of $60? That would make sense to pre-order then.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Sounds like pre ordering is different now? Back in my day a preorder meant you paid like $5 to "save" a copy of the game for yourself to go pickup and that $5 went towards the game price at pickup. I always considered it worthless because I never once went to go buy a game and you couldn't find it anywhere.

Nowadays pre-orders look like they give you an actual discount on the game price? like $50 instead of $60? That would make sense to pre-order then.

That's how GameStop and I assume other places you go to still work. But online like Amazon you can get an actual discount for pre-ordering some games. Just got $50 for ARMS instead of $60.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
yup. and in Canada (amazon.ca) some of the E3 games are 30$ off for preorder at 49.99$ instead of 79.99. so the incentive is there. Plus you can cancel at any time with no penalty. Ended up preordering RDR2, COD, and FC5 for that price. ended up also pre ordering madden for only 20% off though.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Around E3 you tend to see some really nice discounts on pre-orders for some of the games shown off.

Amazon Prime also has a 20% off policy for all pre-orders (up to two weeks after release, so you can even wait for reviews which is nice) if you are a member.

EB Games (GameStop) pre-ordering still works like you mentioned, although sometimes you can get some favourable deals on trade ins if they go towards a pre-order.

I don't really pre-order (don't buy that many games at launch anymore honestly), but the deals can make it really appealing if you're buying day one. $30 off in Canada right now is way too hard to pass up. I slapped one down on RDR2 because I'ma play that one the second it hits and Battlefront II because I'm a sucker for Star Wars. :laugh:

My working plan is to get Battlefront II for $50, play it for a while, get frustrated because dammit EA, and trade it in for ~$30ish shortly thereafter. ;)

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I'm pretty confident there will be a "half in the pool" generation where they offer discounted digital games next to regularly priced retail copies. If they can get below $40 US, I think they'll convert a lot of people. Plenty of people are already switching to digital as is, so it won't take much.

They will need a more robust refund system or one will be created after publishers inevitably dump broken games on digital buyers. I personally feel that the trade in churn and pre-order culture are responsible for a lot of the worst aspects of gaming nowadays so I really won't mind the change. PC converted years ago and it's great. Unless you live in an area with rough internet or capped internet, I feel like there isn't much to fear.

We're almost to a point where a generation will be defined by architecture and backwards compatibility vs the hardware, because there are surely more Pros and 1Xs on the way. It will be interesting to see how Sony and MS deal with letting you keep a library...

If they make the digital value proposition good vs the physical route on console, by all means. Digital is far more convenient, but the physical market for console (PS4 in my case) still has by far the best deals in my experience.

Also, as you mentioned, ongoing digital libraries for consoles which have historically not been backwards compatible at launch is a concern.

The vast majority of my game purchases are on Steam, and its fantastic to have a big library. However, I very rarely by anything at launch on Steam and usually wait for one of their fantastic sales (normally after some YouTube or Twitch based "research" :laugh:). The last two digital launch purchases I made were Sniper Elite 4 and the Witcher 3, and both were discounted heavily.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Around E3 you tend to see some really nice discounts on pre-orders for some of the games shown off.

Amazon Prime also has a 20% off policy for all pre-orders (up to two weeks after release, so you can even wait for reviews which is nice) if you are a member.

EB Games (GameStop) pre-ordering still works like you mentioned, although sometimes you can get some favourable deals on trade ins if they go towards a pre-order.

I don't really pre-order (don't buy that many games at launch anymore honestly), but the deals can make it really appealing if you're buying day one. $30 off in Canada right now is way too hard to pass up. I slapped one down on RDR2 because I'ma play that one the second it hits and Battlefront II because I'm a sucker for Star Wars. :laugh:

My working plan is to get Battlefront II for $50, play it for a while, get frustrated because dammit EA, and trade it in for ~$30ish shortly thereafter. ;)

Gotcha, I do have prime but I havent bought any new games in awhile. I am backloaded on games I haven't gotten around to yet. I still didn't finish Skyrim, I finally decided to play Until Dawn (which I am loving) and then need to play the Alien game after that.

Seems like the Gamestop method of preordering is pretty worthless unless you want some type of special edition type game I assume.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I am backloaded on games I haven't gotten around to yet.

I feel your pain there. :laugh:

I still didn't finish Skyrim,

I didn't know it was possible to finish Skyrim. ;)

Seems like the Gamestop method of preordering is pretty worthless unless you want some type of special edition type game I assume.

Yeah, I really don't recommend it unless you're getting the special edition like you mentioned or if you have trade-in credit you don't know what to do with (keeping in mind you can use the credit towards cards for digital purchases as well).

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I feel your pain there. :laugh:

I didn't know it was possible to finish Skyrim. ;)

Yeah, I really don't recommend it unless you're getting the special edition like you mentioned or if you have trade-in credit you don't know what to do with (keeping in mind you can use the credit towards cards for digital purchases as well).
I know what you meant (you can play the game what seems like literally forever) but this is still pretty cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad