Lupul (A) - Kadri - Kulemin
MacArthur - Grabovski - Frattin
Komarov - McClement (A) - Orr/McLaren
-Orr/McLaren

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf (C)
Gardiner - Liles
Fraser - Franson
-O'Byrne/Kostka
This. Rolling with Lupul - Kadri - Kessel leaves JvR out to dry and puts too much of our scoring on one line.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I daresay, Orr has been pretty impressive - all things considered - I wouldn't be surprised or upset if he is given a semi-permanent spot on the forth line.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Before everyone gets angry (and they only play 5 min so idk why it matters) but I'm pretty sure carlyle used his muscle in the playoffs with anaheim.... So prepare for orr/mclaren in the playoffs

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
kulemin-kadri-kessel
jvr-grabovski-lupul
frattin-bozak-macarthur
komorov-mclemment-hamilton/orr/mclaren

kulemin helps with defense on first line but can still skate fast enough to keep up with kadri and kessel and is able to do board work and crash the net.

if grabovski cant produce with lupul and jvr then he wont be able to produce with anyone.

bozak on third line where he belongs. still has wingers who are decent defensively but can contribute secondary scoring.

komorov-mclemment on the "4th" line but still get 1st pk minutes + play shutdown/ checking roll.

Really? You think it's a good idea to put lines together that never played together all year for the playoffs? This isn't preseason lol

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I am pretty sure Bozak is going to be playing with Kessel. That last game was against the dismal Panthers so Carlyle promoted Kadri in order to restart his game. More importantly, JVR has been playing quite well with Kessel so why take him off?

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kadri-kulemin
mac-grabovski-frattin
komarov-mcClement-orr/mcLaren

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Liles-O'byrne
Fraser-Franson

If we have a 1-2 goal lead with about 7-5 mins left in the third, be very sure to see alot of:
komarov-McClement-kulemin

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
No. Lupul-Kadri-Kessel is our back up. If we're down a goal late in the 3rd, you can bet that Carlyle will put them together.

There is no point in starting with that line up. I would be fine if Lupul/Kessel were reunited but we can't have Kadri on that line too.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No. Lupul-Kadri-Kessel is our back up. If we're down a goal late in the 3rd, you can bet that Carlyle will put them together.

There is no point in starting with that line up. I would be fine if Lupul/Kessel were reunited but we can't have Kadri on that line too.

Agreed

I believe in pairs that work .. Bozak & Kessel on one line and Kadri and Lupul on the other and that makes a more balanced offense and a lot harder for other team to shutdown.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Agreed

I believe in pairs that work .. Bozak & Kessel on one line and Kadri and Lupul on the other and that makes a more balanced offense and a lot harder for other team to shutdown.

True. Lupul, Kadri and Kessel are three of our most creative players.

As good as JvR, Bozak, Kulemin, Grabovski and the supporting cast is...they will not be able to score goals if there isn't a player creating space for them.

Kessel attracts a lot of attention and that helps JvR and Bozak succeed.

Kadri and Lupul attract a lot of attention and that helps Kulemin get in on scoring chances.

Put all three together and we're a one line team.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Not too sure but the checking line of Kulemin - McClement - Komarov is Critical for the playoffs, hope they stay together. Wouldn't mind seeing Grabo shifted to Kadri's wing.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Got to spread the scoring out, and make sure each line has a defensive presence to it.

Pretty sure RC will go with for the top 2 lines:

Bozak-Kessel-JVR
Kadri-Lupul-Kule

3rd line is interesting though:
Mcclement-Komarov-Macarthur could be a very effective checking line.

Mcclement is one of the most valuable players on the team though, think he plays better at C, he's going to get mins this playoffs.

4th line Grabo-Orr-Mclaren

If Frattin can show something tonight, maybe he gets in. But I see Colborne and Frattin as a 2 pack if they are to make it into the line up.

Egoclapper

Dec 21, 2010
I'd give this a run next game if Bozak is in.

JVR-Kadri-Kessel
Kulemin-Bozak-Lupul
MacArthur-Grabovski-Frattin
McLaren/Orr-McClement-Komarov

If that 2nd line can't get any pressure going, swap Kadri and Bozak.

If we're up in the 3rd.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
MacArthur-Kadri-Lupul
Grabovski-McClement-Kulemin
extras Komarov, Frattin, McLaren/Orr get a shift or two to rest PKers like McClement or Kulemin if they need it.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North

Why do we want to have a top line center when we don't even play him on the top line? Kadri is our #1 put him where he belongs and stop beating around the bush saying we have no secondary offence without Kadri.

First we beg for a #1 and when we get one we put him as the #2 because of selfish reasons.

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Frattin/Mac
Kulemin-Bozak-Mac/Frattin
Komorov-McClement-Orr/McClaren

This is how it should be, but knowing Carlyle it won't. Find a proper #2C/RW in offseason and we'll be set.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not too sure but the checking line of Kulemin - McClement - Komarov is Critical for the playoffs, hope they stay together. Wouldn't mind seeing Grabo shifted to Kadri's wing.

I agree Mcclement is going to be huge for us for the playoffs, Komarov has gotten better as the season has progressed, Macarthur seems to be getting his game back.

These 3 guys are going to be keys for us.

Expect to see this as the checking line. It makes the most sense, Macarthur is always solid defensively and he adds a bit of scoring to this line, think it works.

Grabo is not going to be a factor, not going to experiment with him on the wing now, he's getting 4th line mins unless someone is hurt.

Infact if Colborne and Frattin play a strong game tonight, Grabo might even see the press box.

We may even go with Colborne, Frattin and Orr as a 4th line.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Why do we want to have a top line center when we don't even play him on the top line? Kadri is our #1 put him where he belongs and stop beating around the bush saying we have no secondary offence without Kadri.

First we beg for a #1 and when we get one we put him as the #2 because of selfish reasons.

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Frattin/Mac
Kulemin-Bozak-Mac/Frattin
Komorov-McClement-Orr/McClaren

This is how it should be, but knowing Carlyle it won't. Find a proper #2C/RW in offseason and we'll be set.

We have to keep them apart right now because JvR is not a playmaker, Grabo sucks right now, and MacArthur's patented drop passes lead to turnovers 90% of the time.

Have you seen Grabovski this year? He skates fast, makes a pass to nobody and turns over the puck.

In the playoffs, there is a lot of tight checking that could see Kessel being shutdown. That gives Kadri and Lupul a chance to capitalize.

Let's face it, Kessel will always attract the toughest opposition and he still puts up points. I am not sure we can expect that out of Kadri right now.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Agreed

You know what's funny? Is it really the Bozak & Kessel pair that's been working the past few years or has it been JVR/Lupul paired with Kessel that has worked?

Bozak is just a guy on the top line that wins faceoffs and chips in here and there, JVR & Kessel are the pairing that's been working. Jay McClement could have done what Bozak has with these 2 and I'm not kidding.

JVR- Kessel
Lupul - Kadri

Bozak has had very little to do with it other than riding shot gun and that's what bothers me about him cause he's BETTER THAN THIS if he played with more gumption & belief in his abilities to playmake starting with recognizing that JVR can score goals too and stop the tunnel vision towards Kessel every time he touches the puck.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We have to keep them apart right now because JvR is not a playmaker, Grabo sucks right now, and MacArthur's patented drop passes lead to turnovers 90% of the time.

Have you seen Grabovski this year? He skates fast, makes a pass to nobody and turns over the puck.

In the playoffs, there is a lot of tight checking that could see Kessel being shutdown. That gives Kadri and Lupul a chance to capitalize.

Let's face it, Kessel will always attract the toughest opposition and he still puts up points. I am not sure we can expect that out of Kadri right now.

I think Macarthur is our safest choice for the 3rd line, if he simplifies his game. He was much better with Frattin and Colborne when he plays a dump and chase game. When he is with Grabo the blackhole, that's when those 2 turnover passes with their fancy play. But playing with grinders he adapts and plays a safer game.

Mcclement and Komarov are very simple players that Mac can excel with on a #3line. Mac is going to be a key player for us IMO.

TMLifer

Jan 8, 2011
Toronto
Call me crazy, but Carlyle likes toughness in his playoff teams.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Komarov - Grabovski - MacArthur/Frattin
McLaren - McClement - Orr

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
O'Byrne - Liles
Fraser - Franson
-Gardiner/Kostka

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If I am RC, I want Mcclement out there every 3rd shift, he is much more noticeable at C then LW, I need a line that I can trust in any situation, since Kule is too valuable as the 3rd wheel defensive presence and workhorse of the Kadri line.

I am hoping Mcclement can center Komarov and Macarthur and form a Zezel, Osborne, Berg type of line that was so effective in 93 and 94 when we made it to the final 4.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Like others have said there's no way rc changes the top 2 lines that for the most part worked all season. At least we know bozak is fully expendable with kadri fitting right in with kessel.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Bozak - Frattin
Komorov - McClement - Kulemin
MacA - Grabo/Colborne- McLaren/Hamilton/Orr

OR

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Bozak - Frattin
MacA - Grabo - Kulemin
Komorov - McClement - McLaren/Hamilton/Orr

If we go with Bozak as our first line centre... i'd go with:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Komorov - McClement - Kulemin
MacA - Grabo/Colborne- McLaren/Hamilton/Orr

I just really think that Frattin needs to play in the top 6. The guy is a goal scorer who likes to take the puck to the net. His stats this year are pretty good considering the number of games that he's played and his lack of PP time.

But he was on fire at the beginning of the year! He didn't look as great coming back from his surgery, but I think he's been playing well lately.

I think if we put him in the top 6 with skilled guys, he'll do very well for us.

The goals he was scoring at the beginning of the year were incredible! And it wasn't all just nice passes from Kadri... many were individual efforts... and a lot of the time, he still had to make a great shot when receiving the feed from Kadri.

If we roll with Lupul - Kadri - Frattin .... that'll become our #1 line with respect to goal production.

In case some people forgot what he did this year:

Scoring in OT with less than 1 second left:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHDdOCaf2WA

Earlier that same game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiwJTjwFoOI

Tying goal with 5min left in third (leafs go on to win)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPC692TdH9I

Game winning goal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INQeBCVkAgw

Nice hands - Hits puck out of mid air
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPGqTB0u2cc

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
I am pretty sure Bozak is going to be playing with Kessel. That last game was against the dismal Panthers so Carlyle promoted Kadri in order to restart his game. More importantly, JVR has been playing quite well with Kessel so why take him off?

I think it may also have been a chance to familiarise the players.

If we are trailing late in the game you can throw them out together with some idea of their tendencies. Much the same as Kulemin, Komarov and McClement have been played together for defending leads.

Contingency plans. :)

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Randy chose play players like Shawn thornton and Brad May regularly in the playoffs, but not play George Parros.

So I am pretty sure Mclaren and Orr are in the line up most nights. And one of them will be in at all times

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I think Macarthur is our safest choice for the 3rd line, if he simplifies his game. He was much better with Frattin and Colborne when he plays a dump and chase game. When he is with Grabo the blackhole, that's when those 2 turnover passes with their fancy play. But playing with grinders he adapts and plays a safer game.

Mcclement and Komarov are very simple players that Mac can excel with on a #3line. Mac is going to be a key player for us IMO.

Why did his game dip with Kadri then? Enough with the Grabo hate we get it you don't like him... Mac's issues are the same they've been well back since his Buffalo days they have nothing to do with who he plays with. It's his trend in why Buffalo traded him, Atlanta took the option to walk away from him as an RFA and soon to be let go for nothing from the Leafs. He's consistently inconsistent with his EFFORT and plays himself out of lineups.

Frattin has history as a playoff horse at other levels of his career. He's bigger, stronger, faster and a better goal scorer, if he sits for Mac it will be a huge mistake.

If I was Carlyle this is how I would start the playoffs with the forwards:

Kessel - Bozak - JVR

Lupul - Kadri - Frattin

Kulemin - Grabovski - Komarov

Orr - McClement- McLaren

Grabo and McClement flip flop in the 3rd for defensive purposes to close out wins.

Colborne, Mac and Hamilton as injury depth.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

It could be our first power play special team as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00