Line Combos: Dynamic Trio

noto0661

Feb 2, 2004
After last night's win the guys on sportsnet were debating the line combos.

One said they'd leave the Lupul, Kadri, Kessel line together for game 1, and someone else said going with Boz-Kes, and Lup-Kad like they have for the last little bit.

Here's what I would throw out there for criticism.

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel Let them PLAY!
JvR - Bozak - Grabovski (poor man's kessel)
Komorov - McClemment - Kulemin
4th line - not sure.

If JVR - Bozak - Kessel worked well all year (for the most part) maybe a player with a similar skill set (speed and puck carrying) could flourish in his place on that line - that player obviously is Grabo. He's underperformed for a while offensively, but it could be because of the role he's been put in. Now that McClemment is where he should be (3rd C) that leaves Grabo for 2nd or 4th line duty. It would be easy to throw him with the fighters and call it a day, but I think he might be able to turn something on if given someone other than Kulemin, Komorov, McClemment and Macarthur to play with.

Let's face it, Bozak loves to pass, and Grabo doesn't - everybody's happy AND WE CAN LEAVE OUR 3 MOST SKILLED PLAYERS TO WREAK HAVOK ON MONTREAL! Mtl can't shut down anyone with that blueline.

If we play boston, throw this out the window because they have the D to matchup and dominate us if we load up one line.

Just a rant - that's what forums are for right?

What do you think anyway?

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
I really enjoy seeing McClement and Komarov on the 4th line. It makes our team that much more dynamic. You place those two with Orr or McLaren and they are a bruising energy line, if we go up by two we move Kulemin to the line and it makes a shut down line, and if we go down by one or two, we double shift Grabovski with them and try and spark some extra offense.

EDIT: I think we keep the lines as:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri- Kulemin

but if we are having trouble getting the offense we need we can always throw out that line in the game.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
I think we will see a lot of that third line in third periods when we have a lead. But I am a fan of spreading out the scoring.

abridgel

Apr 26, 2013
Playoff hockey is a differet type of hockey boyz - I think MacArthur has played his way onto the "4th" line - you'll probably see this lineup opening night

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Komorov - Grabo - McClement
MacArhur - Colborne/Hamilton - Frattin

I think for the most part unless things get ugly McClaren and Orr will be healthy scratches from here on out. Having 4 skilled lines to roll is more important than gooning it up -

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
jvr bozak kessel
lupul kadri kule
mac grabo frattin
komo mcclement orr/mcclaren

thats it right there, enforcers are overrated in playoffs...one is more than enough especially when u got fraser and dion on blueline with komorov and everyone bringing the hits

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
That would be unreal.

If the 2nd line clicked. We would be hell to play against.

MacArthur-Colborne-Frattin

is a helluva 4th line for the playoffs...

even if Grabo didn't stick, id give Frattin a shot up there with Bozak...he has a similar skillset potential.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I've been pushing for kadri lupul and kessel all year. Problem is you don't change the chemistry right before the playoffs

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
AND WE CAN LEAVE OUR 3 MOST SKILLED PLAYERS TO WREAK HAVOK ON MONTREAL!

Leave the lineups to Carlyle. We didn't win any games this season other than the last one, against the last placed team, stacking our lines into 1 scoring line and 3 impotent checking lines.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
jvr bozak kessel
lupul kadri kule
mac grabo frattin
komo mcclement orr/mcclaren

thats it right there, enforcers are overrated in playoffs...one is more than enough especially when u got fraser and dion on blueline with komorov and everyone bringing the hits

SPot on :handclap:

Three lines with scoring ability is a great thing to have in the playoffs.

Ofcourse, when a shutdown line is needed, we could always put out:

Komarov - Mcclement - Kulemin

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Playoff hockey is a differet type of hockey boyz - I think MacArthur has played his way onto the "4th" line - you'll probably see this lineup opening night

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Komorov - Grabo - McClement
MacArhur - Colborne/Hamilton - Frattin

I think for the most part unless things get ugly McClaren and Orr will be healthy scratches from here on out. Having 4 skilled lines to roll is more important than gooning it up -

Without Orr and McLaren we got pushed around by TB... Montreal will step up there toughness in Playoffs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'd love it myself.

I'd set two lines in stone:

Line 1: Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
Line 4: Komarov - McClement - Orr

and then with lines 2 and 3 I'd mix and match until I found the two best combos from all of Bozak, Grabo, JVR, Kuly, Mac, Frattin, and maybe throw colborne in the mix.

Conan

Sep 13, 2009
As much as i like that line of 19 43 81, i wouldnt put all the eggs in 1 basket. If opposing team shuts that line we basically dont have much offense. JVR works well with kessel and without him he hasnt been that great.

Kessel being on 1st line is a threat
Lupul-Kadri Second line threat

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
As much as i like that line of 19 43 81, i wouldnt put all the eggs in 1 basket. If opposing team shuts that line we basically dont have much offense. JVR works well with kessel and without him he hasnt been that great.

Kessel being on 1st line is a threat
Lupul-Kadri Second line threat

JVR bozak and kuli are a lot of big eggs not in that basket

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
1 line I think Carlyle will put together in the playoffs is the checking line of McClement, with Komarov and Kulemin. This will have a cause on where Grabo, Mac and Frattin play if at all.

I don't think the top line will change in fact I'd say the top 5 is set in stone to start the playoffs of these 5.

Kessel - Bozak - JVR
Lupul - Kadri- ?

Add the checking trio:

Kulemin - McClement - Komarov

If he does put this checking line together it will be interesting who the 6th top six forward would be ( MY CHOICE FRATTIN) and what the 4th line will be cause at least 1 if not both the tough guys will be part of it.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
kulemin-kadri-kessel
jvr-grabovski-lupul
frattin-bozak-macarthur
komorov-mclemment-hamilton/orr/mclaren

kulemin helps with defense on first line but can still skate fast enough to keep up with kadri and kessel and is able to do board work and crash the net.

if grabovski cant produce with lupul and jvr then he wont be able to produce with anyone.

bozak on third line where he belongs. still has wingers who are decent defensively but can contribute secondary scoring.

komorov-mclemment on the "4th" line but still get 1st pk minutes + play shutdown/ checking roll.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Bozak - Frattin
Komorov - McClement - Kulemin
MacA - Grabo/Colbrone - McLaren/Hamilton/Orr

OR

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Bozak - Frattin
MacA - Grabo - Kulemin
Komorov - McClement - McLaren/Hamilton/Orr

Kessely Snipes

Great White North
Oct 16, 2011
Regina, SK
I hate to be a downer, but last night's game was against the Florida panthers. Not to say they didn't look good, but maybe we will want to spread out the offense a bit more.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I hate to be a downer, but last night's game was against the Florida panthers. Not to say they didn't look good, but maybe we will want to spread out the offense a bit more.

3 lines scored though + jvr looked good thats pretty balanced...

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
You really probably don't watch a lot of leaf games, becuase grabovski's number 1 problem was that he passes a bit way to much. He's now finally starting to shoot and people like you complain. Just shut it... -.-"

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I'd like to see these line combos:

Lupul - Kadri- Kessel
Macarthur - Grabo - Kule (bringing sexy back)
JVR - Bozak - Frattin
Orr - McClement - Komarov

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul (A) - Kadri - Kulemin
MacArthur - Grabovski - Frattin
Komarov - McClement (A) - Orr/McLaren
-Orr/McLaren

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf (C)
Gardiner - Liles