Dylan Larkin vs Mika Zibanejad vs Sean Monahan

Who is the best player?

• Total voters

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Look who he plays with
He’s more proven and younger but Zibanejad has been better this season, no question
They are only a year difference.

I think its clear that Larkin is the choice here.

Zibanejad and Monahan a year apart in age and scoring at a similar pace as former 6th overall picks would be a good poll.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Monahan is the worst

He just happens to have the most points every year being a pylon for Gaudreau to bank the puck off.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Monahan gets so underrated

Monahan 76 GP 80 PTS
Larkin 72GP 68 PTS
Zibanejad 77 GP 71 PTS

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Monahan gets so underrated

Monahan 76 GP 80 PTS
Larkin 72GP 68 PTS
Zibanejad 7 GP 71 PTS

Context. Monahan plays with a top 3-5 offensive talent in the NHL. Larkin has maybe one player on his team that could be first line quality in Mantha, but hes pretty inconsistent.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Context. Monahan plays with a top 3-5 offensive talent in the NHL. Larkin has maybe one player on his team that could be first line quality in Mantha, but hes pretty inconsistent.

Does that mean Gaudreau is better than Kucherov because he plays with lesser players?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Does that mean Gaudreau is better than Kucherov because he plays with lesser players?

A) There's a big difference between comparing two elite players who are the best player on their line, like Gaudreau and Kucherov, and non-elite players who are the best on their line with another non-elite player who is sometimes not even the 2nd best on his line, like here. Playing with a player who is better than you is always a much bigger advantage.

B) Kucherov has a 27 point lead on Gaudreau while playing 1 fewer game. Monahan has a 12 point lead on Larkin in 4 more games, and a 9 point lead on Zibanejad in 1 fewer game. Big difference.

C) Kucherov and Gaudreau bring similar value outside of their production, and if anything, Kucherov brings more. Here, Zibanejad and Larkin bring more.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Thats for you to decide. If you want to play dumb about it thats fine too. If you want to compare Larkin playing half his season with Helm/Abdelkader on his line and extrapolate that argument to a guy playing with a 5th and 6th overall pick on his line, with the eventual Norris trophy winner getting him the puck then go for it but I think anyone with a brain knows its not a comparable situation at all.

Reactions: Lays

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013

It's not Setoguchi playing with Thornton, Monahan putting up good numbers isn't a one off fluke because of his linemate, he's done it his whole career

Reactions: No Draft

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
A) There's a big difference between comparing two elite players who are the best player on their line, like Gaudreau and Kucherov, and non-elite players who are the best on their line with another non-elite player who is sometimes not even the 2nd best on his line, like here. Playing with a player who is better than you is always a much bigger advantage.

B) Kucherov has a 27 point lead on Gaudreau while playing 1 fewer game. Monahan has a 12 point lead on Larkin in 4 more games, and a 9 point lead on Zibanejad in 1 fewer game. Big difference.

C) Kucherov and Gaudreau bring similar value outside of their production, and if anything, Kucherov brings more. Here, Zibanejad and Larkin bring more.

It's not a single year comparison, especially in the case of Zibanejad...Monahan outscored him quite significantly every year.

And yeah 12 pts is somewhat significant. It usually put you up another level

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Thats for you to decide. If you want to play dumb about it thats fine too. If you want to compare Larkin playing half his season with Helm/Abdelkader on his line and extrapolate that argument to a guy playing with a 5th and 6th overall pick on his line, with the eventual Norris trophy winner getting him the puck then go for it but I think anyone with a brain knows its not a comparable situation at all.

Sometime you play dumb with dumb. The argument of one player is better strictly because of teammates is just dumb.

Last edited:

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Monahan had a big night. Better vote for him! ****ing typical hf

I am going to copy this here for you and others. It's not my own.

Monahan was drafted in 2013.
Monahan has 171 career NHL goals.

Players drafted in 2013 with more goals - 0
Players drafted in 2012 with more goals - 0
Players drafted in 2011 with more goals - 2 - Landeskog (176) & Kucherov (185)
Players drafted in 2010 with more goals - 4 - Seguin (260), Skinner (241), Tarasenko (207) & Hall (202).
Heck, let's go back to drafted in 2009 - 4 - Tavares (317), Duchene (231), E. Kane (214) & O'Reilly (182).
Sure, let's add on drafted in 2008 - 3 - Stamkos (389), Eberle (205) & Atkinson (184).
(There are only 8 who were drafted in 2007 who have more...)

So, of the last 2,331 players drafted in the NHL, (2008 to and including 2018), 13 of them have more goals than Sean Monahan. 13.

Of those 2,331 players 1,059 of them were drafted before Sean Monahan.

Since the start of the 2013-2014 season, being when he was drafted into the NHL, he has the 15th most goals.
The 7th most for a centre.

But yeah, people are totally voting for him because he had a big night. Typical HF, amirite?

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
I am going to copy this here for you and others. It's not my own.

Monahan was drafted in 2013.
Monahan has 171 career NHL goals.

Players drafted in 2013 with more goals - 0
Players drafted in 2012 with more goals - 0
Players drafted in 2011 with more goals - 2 - Landeskog (176) & Kucherov (185)
Players drafted in 2010 with more goals - 4 - Seguin (260), Skinner (241), Tarasenko (207) & Hall (202).
Heck, let's go back to drafted in 2009 - 4 - Tavares (317), Duchene (231), E. Kane (214) & O'Reilly (182).
Sure, let's add on drafted in 2008 - 3 - Stamkos (389), Eberle (205) & Atkinson (184).
(There are only 8 who were drafted in 2007 who have more...)

So, of the last 2,331 players drafted in the NHL, (2008 to and including 2018), 13 of them have more goals than Sean Monahan. 13.

Of those 2,331 players 1,059 of them were drafted before Sean Monahan.

Since the start of the 2013-2014 season, being when he was drafted into the NHL, he has the 15th most goals.
The 7th most for a centre.

But yeah, people are totally voting for him because he had a big night. Typical HF, amirite?
I'm commenting on the trend that posters seem to have an obsession with recency bias and that a big game can sway their decision on who to vote for.

I'll give praise to Monahan's statline as he's shown consistency throughout his career. HOWEVER, we're comparing him to two guys with also impressive stats and nowhere near the help Monahan has. Like not even close. Would love to see Mony on NYR or Detroit, and I could guarantee you he wouldn't match Zibanejad or Larkin's production this year.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'm commenting on the trend that posters seem to have an obsession with recency bias and that a big game can sway their decision on who to vote for.

I'll give praise to Monahan's statline as he's shown consistency throughout his career. HOWEVER, we're comparing him to two guys with also impressive stats and nowhere near the help Monahan has. Like not even close. Would love to see Mony on NYR or Detroit, and I could guarantee you he wouldn't match Zibanejad or Larkin's production this year.

No you cant...If Monahan gets number one ice time and PP, it's not unreasonable for him to get 60-70 pts.....typical HF LMAO

Last edited:
Reactions: Snakepit

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
No you cant...If Monahan gets number one ice time and PP, it's not unreasonable for him to get 60-70 pts.....typical HF LMAO
Silly me, being hyperbolic as per usual. "Unlikely" is what I should have said. I don't see him pass 30-30-60 on the Rangers or Wings. Maybe he'll prove me wrong some day. That's what makes HF fun. Yay!

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Monahan is HELLA underrated. He’s not just feeding off of Gaudreau.

And I’ll say it again, does that mean Gaudreau is feeding off of Monahan? Monahan is basically giving JG the points when he scores.

Faulting a player who has one of the best shots in the league is comical and so HF. Ridiculous.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I still take Larkin in this situation, but Monohan being faulted for playing with Gaudreau is similar to McDavid/Draisaitl. Yes he's playing with a great player, is it so far fetched that they're both good players making each other better lol

Larkin>Monohan=>Zi

I prefer Larkins tools vsvthe other 2 even tho it's fairly close.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
This isn't a shot at Monahan but is he really a guy who's capable of driving a line like Larkin? I don't think he's as Dynamic as Larkin or as capable of driving a line with lesser linemates as well.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Sometime you play dumb with dumb. The argument of one player is better strictly because of teammates is just dumb.

Its not dumb to point out that Monahan is playing with a top ~5 offensive talent while Larkin has one legit, first line calibre player on the rest of his team. Its not dumb to point out that Calgary has a great defense that can get those guys the puck while the wings might have the worst defense in the league. It must bug you so much that Monahan is losing so bad to Larkin that you cant compare properly. Its also not that Larkin is strictly better because of linemates, but thats a factor to use in the comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad