Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think 6 is too long - but I would rather give him that 6th year than have to bump up the AAV a lot. My thinking has been to go to 5 years to keep the AAV < 4.

But 6 years only takes him through his 32 YO season. He would turn 33 just at the end, so maybe 6 is OK. If that is what it takes, I would do it.
My thinking is Chevy has to do something a little on the aggressive side to make it worth while to sign now rather than wait until July 1st to see what is out there. Maybe 5 X 3.75 is the sweet zone that makes him bite, but if it took 6 X 3.75 I'd take the additional year with a smile. At this point he is 26 y/o and looking good on our top pair for the cost of a 3rd round pick. If Chevy signs him now he is basically getting a freebie for a team that desperately needed a RHD upgrade.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I think to get him now you likely need to offer the long term security of a 5-6 year deal. I'd do 6 X $3.5 - 3.75 M. He will be 33 at the end of that deal and most likely hasn't regressed to the point he isn't still earning that salary.

Plus or minus half a million at that price point isn't a huge deal IMO. I'd be more concerned if a NTC is attached. I would pay someone like DeMelo half a million more/season in lieu of trade protection.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Leafs will have around $5M in cap space to fill 6 roster spots. Hard to imagine them outbidding the Jets for DeMelo, unless he has a lifelong dream of playing for the Leafs and is willing to give up millions in salary to live the dream.

Money talks in matters like this, and usually the largest bidder will come out with the player, barring very different circumstances, like family issues closer to home etc.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Man is DeMelo a smart defenseman with a great stick to get in passing lanes , i would be fine giving him Kulikov's contract if that's what it took to sign him . Hope Chevy signs him soon actually , we sorely need a good defensive defenseman like this , good trade Chevy .

Reactions: Heldig

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You guys forget Chisholm, who could be here ahead of Heinola or Samberg. And I don't really care for Dumba for the likely asking price.

I really don't think Chisholm will arrive that quickly. But the ask for Dumba will not be too high. It will be wayyy too high. Wait one more year and another prospect or 2 will arrive. Definitely not worth the price when all we have to do is wait. UFA's are a different story but probably get to the same destination. At least we don't need to give up players for them. But they will cost too much for too long. Then their performance will disappoint and they will block good young players. No thanks there too.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Well, it looks like Chevy will have to decide what to do with DeMelo after 10 games in a Jets' uni.
I am guessing and hoping Chevy tries to lock him up for at least 4 years and probably more.
It sounds like they have watched him especially since he went to the Sens.
I'd offer him a 5 year contract worth about 19m or so but pay him higher in the first few years to entice him to sign before he hits free agency.
6.m
4.m
3m
3m
3m
I think DeMelo pairs well with JMo and Slambeg will look good with Pionk next season.
DeMelo has had a huge influence since he has been here.
It has allowed the Jets to ice a not bad first two pairings and has really shored up the 3rd pairing.
Poolman is a 3rd pairing at best and has no right being on the 1st pairing of an NHL team.
DeMelo needs to be re-signed for at least 4 years.

Last edited:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
A smaller factor but a factor nonetheless is, I think that it helps us that the Expansion Draft is in 2022. DeMelo can be pretty much assured he will be protected if he resigns with us. He sure fits the profile of the type of defenseman drafted in the last expansion draft.

Top 4 minutes, a fair contract, and expansion draft protection on a team hopefully that won't have one of its best players with a large cap # retire a couple days before the season.
Isn’t the XDraft in June 2021?
The Seattle Whatever-they-are are slotted to play the 2021-2022 season... that means they start October 2021.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
EH's contract projections for Demelo
upload_2020-3-21_16-52-57.png

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Conversely, he might not be as willing to risk giving up a solid deal offering him $15-20M. Remember, last off-season a bunch of players went to UFA and ended up on try-outs. The UFA market isn't very strong. Teams don't have much cap space and need to budget more for their young RFAs. If the Jets really like DeMelo more than other UFA targets like Hamonic, I think they'll be able to sign him before he gets to UFA status.
With the developments in the world the cap will certainly contract - worst time for a fella to be going into UFA status.

I wonder what the NHL will do with contracts - will the consider this year satisfied (likely).

Either way, if the Jets offer him a deal I think he's more likely to take it given the circumstances.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Shhhh... don't show his agent.

And risto is good now?
I'm not sure how sold I am on stats but I found this on the Sens' board and thought I would bump the thread.
DeMelo is our #1 priority regarding our UFAs.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I'm not sure how sold I am on stats but I found this on the Sens' board and thought I would bump the thread.
DeMelo is our #1 priority regarding our UFAs.
I’m a little concerned that DeMelo hasn’t been re-signed yet. Getting him locked in should be Chevy’s priority #1.
I’m hoping the reasons are just related to the COVID issue and not a sign of DeMelo planning on going elsewhere.

Reactions: Tommigun

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I’m a little concerned that DeMelo hasn’t been re-signed yet. Getting him locked in should be Chevy’s priority #1.
I’m hoping the reasons are just related to the COVID issue and not a sign of DeMelo planning on going elsewhere.
Don't forget he has only watched DeMelo in a Jets' uni for 10 games. Maybe he is waiting to see him in action in the playoffs?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It might be a bit much to expect from a GM or a UFA new to his team to sign with this much uncertainty going into next season. Ryan Reaves is the most significant signing with any team in close to 2 months

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Lock him up... lock him up... lock him up!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad