2/9/2001 | 6-foot-3 | 195 pounds | Shoots right

Drafted: No. 7 in 2019
Tier: Bubble elite NHL player and NHL All-Star

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: Above NHL average
Hockey sense: Above NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Analysis: To say Cozens had a breakout season would be an understatement. Cozens was a leading player on a top NHL offense. He scored 68 points, while killing penalties, all as a 21-year-old center in the league. Cozens ticks every box you want in a front-line pivot. He’s a tall, fast forward with very good hands who makes plays and drives a line at even strength. He’s a competitor who uses his length to win battles. He’s not an elite passer, but he can run a power play from the flank especially due to his dangerous shot. Cozens is on the trajectory of being a longtime star center in the NHL.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Honest question... when he's on, what's the strongest part of Dylan Cozens game?

I kinda have a read on most other players on this team, but not so much Cozens. Skimming through his 22-23 goal video, is it his shot? He doesn't seem to be a particularly intense player, doesn't seem to be a great skater, doesn't seem like he's necessarily a "always in the right place" cerebral kinda player, doesn't seem great defensively. Am I wrong, or is he just a guy that'll never totally stand out but can be pretty good at everything?

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Honest question... when he's on, what's the strongest part of Dylan Cozens game?

I kinda have a read on most other players on this team, but not so much Cozens. Skimming through his 22-23 goal video, is it his shot? He doesn't seem to be a particularly intense player, doesn't seem to be a great skater, doesn't seem like he's necessarily a "always in the right place" cerebral kinda player, doesn't seem great defensively. Am I wrong, or is he just a guy that'll never totally stand out but is pretty good at everything?
He's amazing at one thing: transitioning the puck up

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

I kinda have a read on most other players on this team, but not so much Cozens. Skimming through his 22-23 goal video, is it his shot? He doesn't seem to be a particularly intense player, doesn't seem to be a great skater, doesn't seem like he's necessarily a "always in the right place" cerebral kinda player, doesn't seem great defensively. Am I wrong, or is he just a guy that'll never totally stand out but can be pretty good at everything?
Transition puck carrying, straight line speed, wrist/snap shot, intensity. When he's not getting to those things, he can definitely disappear.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
To me it looks like he might have a concussion.

I tried to play table tennis with a concussion once and it wasn't fun. It was really hard tracking and hitting the ball. To me it looked like Cozens had a hard time following the play and just flailed around.

Yeah I'm an armchair doctor but I really hope they are careful with Cozens because he could probably play through anything.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
He's a 22-yo kid who runs on emotion. He sees himself as a high-character guy. He's run into some obstacles, lost his head in frustration and got physically humbled by a stronger, tougher man. And now, I'm guessing, he's feeling like he's let his coach and teammates down -- which he has. The team's in a year-long dogfight for a playoff spot and there's no time for juvenile shit. If he's concussed (I don't think he is), that would add to it.

This is a big test for him. It might take more than a few games for him to get his swagger back. I think he is a high-character guy and will pull out of it eventually. But he might have to sit a few more games if he can't get his shit together fast. He's a liability right now and the team can't afford to give him serious minutes the way he's playing.

It's a big hit to the team's chances at the postseason if he takes too long. Emotion isn't going to carry you all the time. He needs to find his center and grow up quick.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I don't know, but it's been quite the slump. Hopefully, he turns it around soon. He's been one of the biggest detriments of our supposed core players.

Definitely disappointed in his production, but he's still getting chances. Feels like a matter of time. Two games ago I think he hit the post twice?

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Didn't he have like 8 points in 11 games and 4 goals before he took a punch in the face? I remember he was better before that happened. Maybe concussion?
No, he had the worst start out of any of our key forwards. He got a couple goals against the run of play to buoy his numbers, but he could hardly make or receive a pass. The fight and ensuing "bubble" talk was mostly cope in the face of a very confusing decline.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Dude looks like he spent the summer trying to become Tage Thompson. Should be trying to be Phillip Danault. He has never had the high end offensive talent. Holds the puck too long and tries far to many toe drags. He is a low end 2 or high end 3 center. I had high hopes for him last year to be great 2 way center you need to win. He looks lost like he don't know what his role is supposed to be going forward. I wonder what Adam's and Granato are trying to make him into.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Dude looks like he spent the summer trying to become Tage Thompson. Should be trying to be Phillip Danault. He has never had the high end offensive talent. Holds the puck too long and tries far to many toe drags. He is a low end 2 or high end 3 center. I had high hopes for him last year to be great 2 way center you need to win. He looks lost like he don't know what his role is supposed to be going forward. I wonder what Adam's and Granato are trying to make him into.

Probably a flag of concern when he was talking about trying to score 40 this year in his post-season interview. His play late in last season was moving away from 2-way and some of that was who he was playing with and some of it just his own lack of responsible play. I think of Trevor Linden when I see him still. But they have done a shitty job with setting up expectations there and trying to build him into a particular role. It seems everyone is supposed to be a dangler and there is no bang in their game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad