Player Discussion Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall Part 2

member 334057

Cozens seems to be playing a lot better since the start of the season. It seemed like early on he was trying to do too much on his own. At least once or twice a game he would try to pull a McDavid and dangle around 2 or 3 defenders when entering from the neutral zone like he was still playing in junior, glad to see he has mostly stopped doing that in favor of using his teammates to create space and get better zone entries.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Cozens seems to be playing a lot better since the start of the season. It seemed like early on he was trying to do too much on his own. At least once or twice a game he would try to pull a McDavid and dangle around 2 or 3 defenders when entering from the neutral zone like he was still playing in junior, glad to see he has mostly stopped doing that in favor of using his teammates to create space and get better zone entries.
Indeed. He's already elite at zone entries and will only get better. He may never be Eichel level where it's basically automatic, but I think he's a smart player that will only get better.

Between his skating ability entering the zone and Kreb's pinpoint passing, we'll have a nice varied attack from the Center position that teams will need to adjust to. That could create matchup nightmares for opposing teams. Then add Thompson and Mitts into that mix, and we really have some insane Center depth even without a truly elite game changer.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
We can dig deeper and deeper into advanced stats to defend him but you don't see teams with players who are just like...scoring points at will doing this. Anaheim fans aren't going to need to dig deeper to find ways to justify Zegras. Soon, we won't have to with Krebs.

Advanced stats are fine and dandy and I like getting into them with the History boards here but I know what I see with Cozens and I see a guy who absolutely does drive the play and works his butt off but absolutely will not pan into a first line center.

But tell me again about how he leads the team in any metric and I'll say that we need to go ahead and move those goalposts farther.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
We can dig deeper and deeper into advanced stats to defend him but you don't see teams with players who are just like...scoring points at will doing this. Anaheim fans aren't going to need to dig deeper to find ways to justify Zegras. Soon, we won't have to with Krebs.

Advanced stats are fine and dandy and I like getting into them with the History boards here but I know what I see with Cozens and I see a guy who absolutely does drive the play and works his butt off but absolutely will not pan into a first line center.

But tell me again about how he leads the team in any metric and I'll say that we need to go ahead and move those goalposts farther.
He's never been projected as a first liner but a good player that will win you games. If we can get two or three good two way centres we should be fine with our defense.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013

You really never know though. I think people forgot how dominant he was in the WHL. Yeah he doesn’t do the Michigan like Zegras but he could potentially start to take over games at some point

Reactions: Dingo44

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

You seem very annoyed positive things about Cozens are being posted in ……… the Cozens thread. Why?

As for the Zegras and #1 center…. No one brought that up.

But since you did its worth noting that Cozens and Zegras have very different skill sets and upsides at center. Their potential upside respective roles in a top 6 would be either a two way match up center (Cozens) or top offensive center (Zegras). Neither has the skill set to be the others upside potential.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
But since you did its worth noting that Cozens and Zegras have very different skill sets and upsides at center. Their potential upside respective roles in a top 6 would be either a two way match up center (Cozens) or top offensive center (Zegras). Neither has the skill set to be the others upside potential.

Not to derail things too badly -- but you're absolutely right that Cozens and Zegras profile to two completely different kinds of players. Krebs is the center we have that more closely profiles to Zegras, and Mitts profiles more closely to Zegras than he does to Cozens.

I've said it before, I'll say it again -- when Cozens is on, I see young Jeff Carter. Two way player, transition demon and more scorer than passer.

Reactions: The Blunder Years

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
he got tangled up with nelson in the sabres d zone and wasn't kind about it, nelson gave him a cup check from behind, coz served the dish cold with a cross check from behind as nelson was skating to the bench.
That’s good, big guys should play like big guys when it’s appropriate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad