Dustin Byfuglien - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
a) it's the best offer EDM can make.
b) he could be ready for a top4 role.

Detroit has way more interesting pieces.

Not sure about his ability now or future about playing top 4 on any decent team. I've talked with many Oiler fans and they've admitted he's likely better suited for bottom pairing (top 4 he's out of his comfort zone). I see him as comparable to Chariot.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
The only thing is Oilers wont want to give to much for 1 year of his services. Would need him extended.

He'd get a first at least at the deadline. Depth rentals have gone for packages similar to the one you posted. If a team is getting him for at least a full season, the price would be even higher. You're talking like there's only the longterm future and there's no "now".

Teams that aren't the Oilers understand there's a "now". Buff is a great player that could push a team over the top now. Granted, the Oilers shouldn't be going for players 1 year from UFA but perennial playoff teams can absolutely afford to get that missing piece.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
He'd get a first at least at the deadline. Depth rentals have gone for packages similar to the one you posted. If a team is getting him for at least a full season, the price would be even higher. You're talking like there's only the longterm future and there's no "now".

Teams that aren't the Oilers understand there's a "now". Buff is a great player that could push a team over the top now. Granted, the Oilers shouldn't be going for players 1 year from UFA but perennial playoff teams can absolutely afford to get that missing piece.

You would probably do better then a first I would think.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I don't think he is above Chiarot. If Edm. wants Buff it is going to have to include a forward, a good one.

Detroit definitely holds more promise.

What are Jet fans thinking from the Wings to get Buff? I think there is something to be done there.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Some combination of #19/Mantha/Helm/Smith/Quincey/Ouellet/Jurco/Pulkkinen. Details are difficult.

Agreed. The Wings look like a good trading partner for a Buff deal. Still like Helm, Smith and Jurco for Buff but there are lots of possibilities with the Wings which makes it seem possible.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Oilers fan, my offer for Buff,

33rd overall + Greg Chase and conditional 1st (2016) if signs a extension or a 3rd in (2016) if he does not.

Thoughts?

Agreed. The Wings look like a good trading partner for a Buff deal. Still like Helm, Smith and Jurco for Buff but there are lots of possibilities with the Wings which makes it seem possible.

I want the #19 pick in any deal for Buff. Replace one of the above with #19, maybe?

Helm is a UFA in a year, which is a negative unless he's signed before traded.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

I'd pass on Helm. He's been injured a lot and not quite the same player he was. I'd replace him With Athanasiou. He's just as fast with a better offensive up side he had more PPG than Mantha in the AHL last year. At worst he's a 3rd line C. But the Wings are going to value their C prospects highly. Played for the Colts Scheifle. I'm sure the Jets are familiar with him. Or at least see what Scheifle and Ducky think of him.

If your talking the Wings, they are going to want to move a LD prospect. I'd be pushing for Oulette. Smart player, good passer, good all around.

If you could still finagle their 1st after that then awesome. But I think most Wings fans will find that a little rich.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I want the #19 pick in any deal for Buff. Replace one of the above with #19, maybe?

Helm is a UFA in a year, which is a negative unless he's signed before traded.

So is Buff, that is why I think we would get less then most people think in any deal. Of course there are players I'd rather have. Just trying to put a realistic price on a single season and early negotiating rights for a player who will want big money and term.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I'd pass on Helm. He's been injured a lot and not quite the same player he was. I'd replace him With Athanasiou. He's just as fast with a better offensive up side he had more PPG than Mantha in the AHL last year. At worst he's a 3rd line C. But the Wings are going to value their C prospects highly. Played for the Colts Scheifle. I'm sure the Jets are familiar with him. Or at least see what Scheifle and Ducky think of him.

If your talking the Wings, they are going to want to move a LD prospect. I'd be pushing for Oulette. Smart player, good passer, good all around.

If you could still finagle their 1st after that then awesome. But I think most Wings fans will find that a little rich.

I think Oulette,Helm and a 1st would be a good deal for Buff considering his contract status.

Habib21

Jun 23, 2015
As a Red Wings fan I don't think they'll be willing to give up Helm. That might be different now that Babcock is gone, but I don't think they will. Nor do I want them too. His speed gives teams fits, and yes he has had injuries in the past, but he was completely healthy this year. I also don't see them giving up a first round pick this year.... I could see them giving up conditional pick if he is resigned in 2016 but probably not a 1st.

I would love to see a trade worked out for Buff though.

I imagine they would be willing to offer one of B. Smith, Ouellet or Marchenko + Pulkkinen and the conditional pick in 2016.

But they won't be trading Mantha, Larkin, and highly unlikely Tyler Bertuzzi or Athanasiou.

My best guess is B. Smith, Pulkkinen or Jurco and a conditional mid round pick in 2016 if he is resigned. Is that enough for you.... not sure.... but that's probably all they are willing to offer.

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
As a Red Wings fan I don't think they'll be willing to give up Helm. That might be different now that Babcock is gone, but I don't think they will. Nor do I want them too. His speed gives teams fits, and yes he has had injuries in the past, but he was completely healthy this year. I also don't see them giving up a first round pick this year.... I could see them giving up conditional pick if he is resigned in 2016 but probably not a 1st.

I would love to see a trade worked out for Buff though.

I imagine they would be willing to offer one of B. Smith, Ouellet or Marchenko + Pulkkinen and the conditional pick in 2016.

But they won't be trading Mantha, Larkin, and highly unlikely Tyler Bertuzzi or Athanasiou.

My best guess is B. Smith, Pulkkinen or Jurco and a conditional mid round pick in 2016 if he is resigned. Is that enough for you.... not sure.... but that's probably all they are willing to offer.

Then we don't trade him. Simple as that. That's bad compared to what Yandle/Coburn returned just this season, and Byfuglien is on another level compared to those guys. No point in trading him for peanuts to the Red Wings. Then I prefer us looking at another team, like the Blue Jackets.

Habib21

Jun 23, 2015
Then we don't trade him. Simple as that. That's bad compared to what Yandle/Coburn returned just this season, and Byfuglien is on another level compared to those guys. No point in trading him for peanuts to the Red Wings. Then I prefer us looking at another team, like the Blue Jackets.

I'm no authority but I'm just going off of what Holland has done (or not done) in the past.... he's pretty reluctant to make big trades.

Again, I would love to see Buff in Detroit..... and I would be willing to offer more.....but don't think Holland will.

Habib21

Jun 23, 2015
I would be happy to see Detroit trade B. Smith or Ouellet and Pulkkinen and 2016 2nd that moves to 1st if he is resigned. But I will also say that if you think Buff will get more than that.... you're mistaken.
That would be a 1st (or 2nd) round pick an NHL defenseman and a top tier prospect who lit up the AHL this year. If Buff were already signed at a reasonable cap hit for a few more years, then his value would be higher.

I like Pulkkinen, his game has shades of Brett Hull. He's only expendable in Detroit because we have Nyquist and Tatar playing so well, along with a deep pool of prospects. If you wanted Jurco instead of Pulkkinen, I'm sure they would make that swap.

We'll throw in Weiss and Cleary for free!!

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I would be happy to see Detroit trade B. Smith or Ouellet and Pulkkinen and 2016 2nd that moves to 1st if he is resigned. But I will also say that if you think Buff will get more than that.... you're mistaken.
That would be a 1st (or 2nd) round pick an NHL defenseman and a top tier prospect who lit up the AHL this year. If Buff were already signed at a reasonable cap hit for a few more years, then his value would be higher.

I like Pulkkinen, his game has shades of Brett Hull. He's only expendable in Detroit because we have Nyquist and Tatar playing so well, along with a deep pool of prospects. If you wanted Jurco instead of Pulkkinen, I'm sure they would make that swap.

Pulk sucks in the NHL. He can't think fast enough. He is always flat footed while the other team skates right by him. It's like he has no idea what he's doing out there. He can't create anything for himself, his shot come from the outside and from non dangerous areas. He fans and fumbles one timers. He might be faster than you might expect but he's not quick (ie Tatar) There is a chance he gets better of course, it's only been 31 games. But those are the reasons why Wings fans are always throwing him into every single fantasy trade.

Habib21

Jun 23, 2015
So what.... you want Mantha a 1st and B. Smith or Ouellet.....
Won't happen.

Detroit wouldn't do that for Phaneuf ... and that also involved Toronto taking back some salary and taking Weiss's awful contract. At least with him we would know he is signed for the future and has been more productive statistically than Buff.

Anyway..... only time will tell. Good to hear what Winnipeg fans think about it. Good luck in the offseason and next year. Your team is definitely moving in the right direction and has some great talent on it.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

A lesser player in Sekera returned a 1st and a prospect and this was at the TD. Buff's a considerably better player, and if traded in the summer a team has him for the whole year.

So start with a 1st round pick and a good prospect like Jurco and go from there for Buff with 1 year left. For a signed Buff, the cost is higher.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Detroit wouldn't do that for Phaneuf ... and that also involved Toronto taking back some salary and taking Weiss's awful contract. At least with him we would know he is signed for the future and has been more productive statistically than Buff.

Wat. The last time Phaneuf out scored Big Buff was 2008-09...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A lesser player in Sekera returned a 1st and a prospect and this was at the TD. Buff's a considerably better player, and if traded in the summer a team has him for the whole year.

So start with a 1st round pick and a good prospect like Jurco and go from there for Buff with 1 year left. For a signed Buff, the cost is higher.

IMO if they sign Buff they intend to keep him. Otherwise why would he sign? He could just go to free agency and sign with the highest bidder or the destination of his choice. I doubt very much a Buff signing doesn't come along with almost or total control over future movement.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
So what.... you want Mantha a 1st and B. Smith or Ouellet.....
Won't happen.

Anyway..... only time will tell. Good to hear what Winnipeg fans think about it. Good luck in the offseason and next year. Your team is definitely moving in the right direction and has some great talent on it.

Did he just build a straw man, thank me for it and leave? :laugh: not to mention I think he just called DP better than Buff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad