Movies: Dunkirk: Christopher Nolan next movie release date July 2017

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Some reviewers have commented on how there is no blood in this movie and every dead body has all its limbs.

I can see why people would take people out of it and make it seem a bit sanitized, but I can also see the other side. Every war movie doesn't need to be as gruesome as Saving Private Ryan.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
That was my favourite Nolan film for me. I was blown away by the end. I felt like I was looking at a painting at some parts.

Only technical complaint, and one that I share with most Nolan in films is the sound mixing leading to some dialogue to be hard to understand. Although it didn't take away from the overall experience in any way.

I have to agree, it was my favorite Nolan film too and the sound mixing does need to tone down background noise when people are talking on screen because it was hard to hear dialog sometimes. Especially when Tom Hardy and the pilots were talking, I wanted to turn on the subtitles like I was at home so I could read what they were saying. Reminded me of Bane in The Dark Knight Rises all over again.

My only other complaint was I thought Tom Hardy was gliding without a fuel a little too long at the end, but not enough to ruin what came before. I realistically would give this film a 9.5/10, but rounded up to a 10.

Yeah, very intense and impressive movie. Maybe it was just this particular theater, but I did have a problem with how loud the constant action was.

It was pretty loud in my theater, I believe it was designed that way to make it uncomfortable like it would be in real life with real gunfire. I remember the battle scenes in Hacksaw Ridge were that loud in my theater too when I saw that film last year.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
My only other complaint was I thought Tom Hardy was gliding without a fuel a little too long at the end, but not enough to ruin what came before. I realistically would give this film a 9.5/10, but rounded up to a 10.

I was ok with the fuel, but what I didn't understand about Hardy's character was

[spoil] why he didn't bail out into the water (like Collins did) after shooting down that last bomber? Why stay in the air just long enough to land in enemy territory?[/spoil]

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Some reviewers have commented on how there is no blood in this movie and every dead body has all its limbs.

I can see why people would take people out of it and make it seem a bit sanitized, but I can also see the other side. Every war movie doesn't need to be as gruesome as Saving Private Ryan.

Especially when it conveyed the horror of the situation just fine without it.

Didn't need severed limbs and lots of blood to be absolutely terrified of the idea of being trapped in a ship that's going down, or getting bombed.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
It was good but not great for me. I don't think it cracks the top 3 of my favorite Nolan films.

Excellent visually and the sound was incredible but there is almost no character development and not much plot.

It's a good WW2 movie but not a great movie imo.

7.5/10

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
7/10 for me. I feel like Nolan should be challenging himself and pick daring subjects much more than this. Its a very well done WW2 movie, but its still a WW2 movie.

I don't know. Outside of the batman series, he really doesn't touch on movies that others are doing. So much of hollywood are reboots, sequels, etc., but he continuously works on different projects. Yes, this is a war movie, but how many movies are about this portion of the war? I don't mind him doing this, and I know he will continue to think of original stories and make those.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
I was ok with the fuel, but what I didn't understand about Hardy's character was

[spoil] why he didn't bail out into the water (like Collins did) after shooting down that last bomber? Why stay in the air just long enough to land in enemy territory?[/spoil]

Well there could be several reasons, the film never makes it clear,

[spoil]for one the Spitfire is gliding, so he has to ride out the momentum of the aircraft until it runs out of energy and he has to line up exactly where he will land without hitting anybody. The water was full of boats and the beach was only clear of people past the area the British controlled.

He may not have had enough energy to circle back around to ditch in the water after shooting down the Stuka. He also may not have been trained in water evacuations or he may not be able to swim very well or he may be afraid to drown in his aircraft.

I also think most pilots would rather land than crash and he may have thought he could risk landing and make it back to the British. His character would know that he would get treated better than most as an officer and would ride out the rest of the war as a POW, just like in The Great Escape.[/spoil]

Either way, it was perfectly reasonable what he ended up doing. We'll never really know the intention of his character unless they talk about it later on the Bluray release.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
This critic loves Dunkirk and doesn't put it in the same bucket as other movies. This is different.

'Dunkirk' and the Great Films That Won't Be Made

I was perhaps unreasonably excited to see "Dunkirk," Christopher Nolan's new movie about the evacuation of British forces from a French beach during World War II. The historical event on which it is based is astonishing: unable to get enough warships close to the beach to load their fleeing troops, the British government mobilized a flotilla of small private craft, which ultimately helped evacuate more than 330,000 soldiers ahead of the German army. I was eager to see what one of my favorite directors would do with the story.

He did not disappoint. This nearly flawless film put me on the edge of my seat for two hours. It is the best thing I've seen about war since the stunning opening of "Saving Private Ryan" -- and Nolan, bless him, is not prey to Steven Spielberg's compulsion to mar his creations by slopping them over with speechy goo.

As with all of Nolan's films, it's emotionally distant from its characters. Cillian Murphy plays an officer credited only as Shivering Soldier, and none of the characters have much in the way of backstory or goals, other than survival. Matt Zoller Seitz calls it an Ant Farm Picture, a portrait of society in which individuals are almost incidental. That's rather the point.

A lesser director would have given in to the temptation to make this a story about the righteous crusade against the Germans, men fighting other men, but Nolan shows us a world in which the enemy is a plane, a torpedo, the water and the flying bullets, and men are reduced to little more than their rage to live.

The result is less a war film than a disaster movie. An exquisite disaster movie. I didn't expect such a vivid and visceral illustration of how quickly a ship can sink, or just how difficult it is to hit a target in the sky. I left the theater almost too overwhelmed to talk.

Having recovered, I began to wonder why we can't have more pictures like "Dunkirk." The easy answer is, of course, that there is only one Christopher Nolan, and only so many people willing to give him $150 million to spend putting thousands of extras and some World War II-era ordnance onto a French beach. But the easy answer is incomplete.

It is getting rarer for a genius like Nolan to be given substantial sums of money to put their vision on the screen. Instead, the substantial sums go to franchise films. The pursuit of blockbuster movies is becoming less of an act of creation, and more an exercise in brand management. Franchises generate box office revenue, merchandising revenue and what economists call option value: "Furious 7" does not simply bring ticket revenue for the studio, but also the ability to make more revenue through Fast and Furious Episodes 8, 9, 10 and onward to "The Fast and the Furious 987."

Naturally, such valuable properties cannot be left to the quirky whims of some individual; studios have intervened more and more heavily to ensure that no director goes too far off the rails. As with other markets where mass franchises have taken over, the result is a sort of flattening of the available quality: There aren't so many truly awful blockbusters being made anymore, but there aren't so many truly great ones either. Indeed, there aren't so many big movies being made at all, because studios find it much more attractive to rake in cash off of a predictable comic book film with a big global audience than to make risky bets on greatness.

In some ways it looks like a return to the studio system of yore, with its factory-like control over every aspect of production. But in the old days, the studios were mostly making lots of cheap films fast. The studios could afford to permit a little more variance, a little more creativity and serendipity, because the bets were reasonably small, and even an oddball picture might find an audience somewhere. But if the old studio system was a well diversified industry placing lots of bets -- the cinematic equivalent of an index fund -- the modern system is looking more and more like a hedge fund taking a few giant positions. When all the bets are potential firm-killers, the investment committee is going to want to oversee every detail, leaving less room for genius to emerge, much less thrive.

One reason "Dunkirk" is such a joy is that here is a film in which the deadening hand of the committee is nowhere evident. A committee would have wanted something with more merchandising and tie-in opportunities ('Just a thought: What if the captain of the destroyer is drinking a Diet Coke? Then we could give his action figure a detachable can that fits in his right hand.') A committee would have wanted a lovable band of misfits who could be taken into sequels. ('No, this is terrific: Next time, instead of fleeing France, they invade it!')

A committee would have wanted all the mawkish paraphernalia of the modern war picture -- the rumpled photograph of the girl back home, the square-jawed lead who learns a Very Important Lesson about leadership and loyalty, and the speeches, oh Lord, the speeches, about what war is, and what it all means. Even the pictures that explicitly reject the cheap and easy sentimentality of the modern war movie are still hung up on rejecting it. Nolan simply ignores it, and does something infinitely more interesting.

That this movie got made at all in modern Hollywood strikes me as a minor miracle, an undeserved blessing for which we should all be intensely grateful. But it also makes me a little sad. It's not that no adult movies get made anymore, as you sometimes hear: There are indie films, small films, studio-produced Oscar bait for the season between Thanksgiving and Christmas. But the franchise pictures keep sucking up more of the oxygen in the room, threatening to strangle both the mid-budget serious films and the large summer blockbusters featuring one director's original vision -- ironic, considering that it was two such pictures, George Lucas's Star Wars and Spielberg's' Jaws, that started Hollywood down its current road. (Never mind that one was retroactively franchised as "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope" and the other was followed by sequels more painful than being eaten by a shark.)

As the tentpole picture increasingly becomes the main product of Hollywood, and directors are selected for their ability to please a committee, how many more memorable big films can we hope to get? When a legend like Spielberg has so much trouble getting "Lincoln" into theaters that it comes this close to ending up on HBO, you have to wonder if the days of the original creative project are numbered within the studio system. If the flotilla of small craft disappears, all we'll have left is a few big ships drifting inoffensively in international waters -- and a lot of moviegoers stranded on the beach.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-07-20/-dunkirk-and-the-great-films-that-won-t-be-made

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I thought this film was magnificent. I can understand why the lack of dialogue and character development might be jarring for some and won't begrudge anyone thinking less of the film for it. For some that's what they want and need in any film. I think it was a bold and savvy move by Nolan to keep the talking to a minimum. But it makes sense. We aren't supposed to care about a handful individual characters. There are only two characters of importance: the soldiers stranded and in peril, and the Englishmen sailing the channel (okay maybe throw in the British air force fighters). The precarious situation that the mass of 400k+ soldiers find themselves in is all that matters.

Dunkirk is not a character study into the human condition when thrown into the hellfire of war as almost every war movie in the history of cinema has been. It is thrill ride of a depiction of the "military disaster' that was Dunkirk. All that matters to this film is the desperate plight of the stranded army. Character development and a deep plot is not necessary to a film like this. It is meant to be a thrill ride and spectacle. The viewer is supposed to watch this survival story unfold to the tune of Hans Zimmer's masterful score and feel the unease, tension, and desperation of all those involved with this catastrophic WW2 event.

I felt the runtime was superb, the minimalistic approach worked wonders towards the goal Nolan set out to achieve with this film, the score was peak Hans Zimmer, the acting (though minimalist) was incredibly strong throughout (I had read that Harry Styles was quite good in this and I was still pleasantly surprised), and the action from scene one to the end was shot beautifully and edited effectively. As for the sound, maybe it was just my theater but I didn't feel it was "too loud" as past Nolan films have been.

I'll confess that I tend to come to different conclusions on films as time passes, at times. I can only share my thoughts on how I felt about the film in the present. My immediate reaction is that Dunkirk is a brilliantly crafted thrill ride of a survival film. Dunkirk is a war film but feels less than and more than at the same time. Is it heavy on plot and character development? No. But this is a rare case where the omission of these elements plays in favor of the film rather than hindering it. Across Nolan's filmography he has consistently produced very strong films that are always lacking in some way that causes them to fall short of brilliance. He is also guilty of relying too heavily on exposition. It almost feels that with Dunkirk, he has achieved addition by subtraction in creating what I feel is his Magnum Opus. I am a fan of Nolan's and consider Inception, The Prestige, Memento, and The Dark Knight a few of my favorite films (distinct from how I rank them all time in cinema, I feel I should point out). Much as I love these films, I can confidently place Dunkirk an entire tier above them. I don't like giving movies perfect scores but I've been wracking my brain trying to think of a single moment that disappointed me in Dunkirk. Or one that bothered me. Or one I felt could've been done better. And there's only a single detail * that I felt the film could have done without. So as far as I'm concerned, until repeat viewings lessen my view of the film it is a 10/10. I think it is a must see and it must be seen on as big a screen as possible.

[spoil]
One thing I felt the movie could've done without is actually one of the few moments of character drama. I felt the death of Rylance's son's friend could've been stripped from the film...possibly. I don't think it's a bad moment but all it serves is the neat little moment of maturity on the part of Rylance's son to decide not to tell Cillian Murphy that he had accidentally killed his friend and have that be on his conscience. It was a neat moment but I don't think the film needed it. Being that I don't think it hurt the movie either, it doesn't hurt my opinion on the movie any.

As for Tom Hardy landing in enemy territory...maybe that's Nolan's head scratching ending moment. There always has to be one. I don't know enough about planes to say whether or not he even could've put his plane in the water. My belief is that he could have. I just don't know. It certainly doesn't ruin it for me. I thought the scene where he torches his plane and gets captured was well shot enough that it really didn't matter to me.[/spoil]

Last edited:

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
One thing I noticed about Dunkirk is there is a familar voice over the radio for the flight leader of the 3 Spitfires first shown in the beginning of the film. The flight leader is barely even shown, you just hear him mostly over the radio as he's talking to the other pilots played by Tom Hardy and Jack Lowden.

I couldn't put my finger on it, and I felt like I heard his voice before in Battle of Britain which I had just watched. I was looking at Michael Caine's filmography on imdb and what do you know, he is uncredited as voice only for radio communication in Dunkirk.

How great is that?

Caine, who played a squadron leader Spitfire pilot in the Battle of Britain and is a frequent star of Nolan's films was the voice of the flight leader Spitfire pilot in Dunkirk! I haven't a 100% confirmed this, but it has to be because the same thing happens to both characters he plays in both films, lol!

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Saw it last night, felt kinda average. Didn't walk out feeling wowed by any means. :dunno:

Just saw it. Amazing.

It's a strange film for a war movie. Minimalist in some ways and maximalist in others.

Don't expect to have your hand held. They give very little context about what's going on in the war, so if you don't know ww2 well you'll be a little lost. My girlfriend knows nothing of world war 2 and after the movie ended she asked me which country Dunkirk is in.

But yeah, I was on the edge of my seat the entire movie. Exceptionally well done.

All the movie's shortcomings in terms of scope and character development take a back seat to a masterful job of direction and editing. Probably the most continuously thrilling movie that I have seen since Gravity. Definitely pay the bucks to see it in IMAX or any other big screen format.

Pretty much this...

Though I think it might fall just short of Gravity and the wow factor.

It was good but not great for me. I don't think it cracks the top 3 of my favorite Nolan films.

Excellent visually and the sound was incredible but there is almost no character development and not much plot.

It's a good WW2 movie but not a great movie imo.

7.5/10

And again this... its good -- but not great. I think it was almost too minimalistic for me.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Gravity is the perfect comparison. That was fantastic, don't really have much to add that others haven't already said. Gripped to my seat the entire time, thought it was expertly crafted.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
[spoil]by far the best thing it did well was craft tension. You could have put coal in my rectum and it'd be a diamond by the end of that movie. Almost every scene involved a high percentage chance that any given character could die. That said, how many of the main characters did die? The first pilot, the French guy, the Toews look-alike, the kid...did anyone else with a speaking part die?

one thing that, for whatever reason, I thought a lot about is a line from a review I read that said the movie didn't have "war porn." I think it had some, but only in the dogfighting scenes, which are the only actual fighting scenes in a war movie. The rest doesn't have war porn because there isn't anyone fighting but just trying to survive.

The music, damn. Fantastic.

also, I can't help but wonder how hard Tom Hardy actually had to work in this movie. I mean, I thought he did a fine job, but really all he had to do was look sad and/or frustrated while staring straight ahead in almost every one of his scenes.[/spoil]

Last edited by a moderator:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
also, I can't help but wonder how hard Tom Hardy actually had to work in this movie. I mean, I thought he did a fine job, but really all he had to do was look sad and/or frustrated while staring straight ahead in almost every one of his scenes.

[spoil] i'd say getting captured by the evil Germans at the end was awfully hard to accept and partake in ;) [/spoil]

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
All I know is that while everyone else was too busy trying to survive, Tom Hardy was killing Nazis and single-handedly taking down the Luftwaffe. :sarcasm:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Just saw it today, I thought it was really good. It was a nice change of pace from Nolan: minimalist, light on dialogue with very little effort to explain what is happening to the audience. Yet it still very much felt like a Nolan film with the branching story lines and Zimmer soundtrack.

I didn't enjoy Gravity which was a similar film, but I loved Fury Road which I would also compare this to. I think Fury Road is the superior film, and I still think Inception is Nolan's best work - but this was extremely entertaining.

Great performances all around, some dialog from Hardy was a hard to hear but all his dogfighting scenes were thrilling.

Normally Nolan is all about big ideas. I hope he returns to that with some of the lessons he learned here. I would love to see him do another sci-fi film but with less exposition and more visual storytelling resulting in some uncertainly/mystery.

I noticed there were a lot of older folks in the audience in my showing, not sure what they thought of it, it was a very atypical war film.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Well I wasn't the only one who noticed it, I found a couple articles and blogs that confirmed it, Michael Caine was the uncredited voice of the flight leader of the 3 Spitfires, here's one of them:

https://rogersmovienation.com/2017/07/14/best-cameo-in-dunkirk/

Such an awesome easter egg, squadron leader Canfield was in Dunkirk. :yo:

2517-1318.gif

Last edited:

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Get your heads out of your *****. This movie is nothing like Gravity. That movie was crap.

How is Sandra Bullock yelling for 2 hours in space comparable to this??? :laugh: Brutal comparison.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Found a great article on the actual events that unfolded at Dunkirk:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...vacuation-Dunkirk-recalled-minute-minute.html

It's interesting to note that Mark Rylance's character Mr. Dawson was based on an actual real person. That person was retired Royal Navy Commander Charles Lightoller. Lightoller was famous for being the second officer of the Titanic and was the highest ranking officer to survive its sinking in 1912. He served in the Royal Navy during WWI and the ship he commanded sank a U-boat in 1918. In 1940 he was retired but answered the call and took his personal yacht, the "Sundowner," over to Dunkirk.

Here are the excerpts from the article on Saturday, June 1st which can be spoilers for those that haven't seen the film:

1pm: A motor yacht named Sundowner is sailing slowly towards Dunkirk harbour. Standing at the bow is an elderly man in a black beret. Earlier he’d taken off a white peaked cap as it presented the Luftwaffe with too much of a target.

The man is 66-year-old Commander Charles Lightoller, and he is used to adventure. In April 1912, he was Second Officer on the largest and most famous ship in the world, the RMS Titanic, and was one of the last to leave the stricken liner.

A German Messerschmitt comes at Sundowner. Charles remembers advice from his son Brian, a pilot killed in the early days of the war — a fighter raises its nose just before it fires. As the yellow nose lifts, Charles shouts at Gerald Ashcroft, the young Sea Scout at the helm: ‘Hard a-starboard!’ Sundowner turns and the bullets hit the water. Charles says a silent ‘thank you’ to his dead son.

2pm: As Sundowner enters Dunkirk harbour, Gerald Ashcroft is having to push away corpses with a boat hook. Charles Lightoller goes aboard the destroyer HMS Worcester and when the captain asks him how many men Sundowner can take, Charles says: ‘Oh, about 100!’ Sundowner has never had more than 21 on board.

5pm: Sundowner is once again under attack from a Messerschmitt. This time the boat is laden with almost 130 soldiers, who have thrown their rifles overboard to help keep Sundowner afloat. Some of them have heard Charles Lightoller was on the Titanic, and think if he can survive that, he can survive anything.

Once again, as the fighter’s nose lifts, Charles shouts: ‘Hard a-starboard!’ Sundowner turns and the bullets miss. The pilot tries once more but Charles Lightoller and Sundowner are too quick for him.

10pm: Sundowner has arrived in Ramsgate. A naval officer on the quay is counting the troops as they clamber off. ‘God’s truth, mate! Where did you put them?’

I also found this article which gave a little more info about that day and the Sundowner which is now in a maritime museum in England:

http://www.adls.org.uk/t1/content/sundowner-0

It was not surprising when, on 30th May 1940, the Admiralty announced that they were going to requisition Sundowner to go over to Dunkirk. The owner's reply was that if anyone was going to take her it was he, together with his eldest son Roger, and a Sea Scout called Gerald Ashcroft. On 1st June, in company with 5 other ships, they crossed the Channel. On their way, they met the motor cruiser Westerly, broken down and on fire. They went alongside and transferred her crew, taking them back to Dunkirk. By strange coincidence, Lightoller's second son, Trevor had been evacuated from Dunkirk 48 hours previously. Sundowner embarked 130 men and packed them in like sardines. On their way home, they avoided being hit by enemy aircraft through using evasive techniques of amazing skill. Deep in the water with their extraordinary load, their greatest danger was being swamped by the wash from fast-moving destroyers. On arrival at Ramsgate, they were nearly sunk by the weight of troops moving to one side of the ship to disembark until Roger shouted to them to lie down and not move until told to do so. The Lightollers were determined to return to Dunkirk, but by then only ships capable of doing 20 knots could go.

Lightoller is a legend, he survived the Titanic, he survived naval combat with Germans in WWI, he survived being strafed by German aircraft while trying to rescue soldiers in WWII, he lost his youngest son who was in the RAF during the first week of WWII and he lost his oldest son, who helped him sail the Sundowner to Dunkirk, in the last year of the war. Now he was fictionally immortalized in this film after being non-fictionally immortalized in multiple films on the Titanic. Really great history.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I didn't like it honestly. I think it looked beautiful and the sequences were executed really well, but it felt pretty bland to me.

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
It was okay. I found it a bit boring, tbh...I had trouble staying interested in it. It's definitely not at the top of my list of Nolan films.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad