Movies: Dunkirk: Christopher Nolan next movie release date July 2017

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Miraculous evacuation of Allied soldiers from Belgium, Britain and France, who were cut off and surrounded by the German army from the beaches and harbor of Dunkirk, France, between May 27- June 04, 1940, during Battle of France in Word War II

will be interesting how this plays out

Good cast
Tom Hardy
Cillian Murphy
James D'Arcy
Kenneth Branagh
Mark Rylance

without sounding condescending or rude to those from the states educational system
here is some historical stuff on what Dunkirk was and why it is historical. While if you are a history buff you will know about--if you have little interest in it--you may not know the story

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I first saw this on Tom Hardy's imdb page when he was the only member of the cast. I'm excited for it.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Looking forward to it. My Grandfather who served in ww2 told me stories of the retreat and how it was what he called a farce and quite surreal. He said he ended up sailing back on the yacht of some Lord or something and how he was below suffering from a leg wound sitting around a large dinner table that was the finest he had every seen. Sounds like the movie is more about the battle then the retreat. This could be a test to see how Nolan's staying power is.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
His staying power?

He started his career with his first feature in Memento back in 2000 (he had another in 1998, but this was his first mark), he's done quite well as a Director for 16yrs.

Memento - 2000
Insomnia - 2002
Batman Begins - 2005
The Prestige - 2006
The Dark Knight - 2008
Inception - 2010
The Dark Knight Rises - 2012
Interstellar - 2014
Dunkirk - Due in 2017.

Apparently he's also going to remake Memento? In any case, quality over quantity.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
His staying power?

He started his career with his first feature in Memento back in 2000 (he had another in 1998, but this was his first mark), he's done quite well as a Director for 16yrs.

Memento - 2000
Insomnia - 2002
Batman Begins - 2005
The Prestige - 2006
The Dark Knight - 2008
Inception - 2010
The Dark Knight Rises - 2012
Interstellar - 2014
Dunkirk - Due in 2017.

Apparently he's also going to remake Memento? In any case, quality over quantity.

This is his first movie that will have zero elements that could be linked to Sci Fi. It is a pretty straight a head movie that could have little or no interest to Americans unless he rewrites history.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I'm not a war fan so I'll pass but I'm sure with him behind the helm it'll be good

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He's not made anything but good movies to date, so I'm excited for this.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Looking forward to it. My Grandfather who served in ww2 told me stories of the retreat and how it was what he called a farce and quite surreal. He said he ended up sailing back on the yacht of some Lord or something and how he was below suffering from a leg wound sitting around a large dinner table that was the finest he had every seen. Sounds like the movie is more about the battle then the retreat. This could be a test to see how Nolan's staying power is.

The Yacht story sounds right. Not sure how it was a farce because you could say the operation was successful. Would have definitely been surreal though because every thing that could sail across the Channel was sent across the channel to go grab those soldiers. Probably the most chaotic and well organized retreat of all time.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
This is his first movie that will have zero elements that could be linked to Sci Fi. It is a pretty straight a head movie that could have little or no interest to Americans unless he rewrites history.

If it's a good movie, Americans will be interested. I don't think the fact that it's a British/French battle with British actors is going to be that big a deal, TBH. Plus, Nolan's name alone still draws crowds.

As a historical aside, I've always wondered what would have happened if the Germans had kept their foot on the throttle and preventing the evacuation at Dunkirk.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
As a historical aside, I've always wondered what would have happened if the Germans had kept their foot on the throttle and preventing the evacuation at Dunkirk.

British probably would have taken a smaller part in the land operations regarding 1944 and onwards. Maybe the Normandy Invasion is smaller. The Germans never had the resources or capability to attempt a landing across the channel. The British Navy and Air Force would have completely demolished any invasion fleet. Plus the Canadians sent over a trained division that actually landed in France for a day before being sent to Britain.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It is a pretty straight a head movie that could have little or no interest to Americans unless he rewrites history.

I'm pretty sure Braveheart had no Americans in it.

The idea that all successful historical movies require the presence of Americans is a fallacy.

Mind you, Braveheart is what I would call "loosely historical".

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The Yacht story sounds right. Not sure how it was a farce because you could say the operation was successful. Would have definitely been surreal though because every thing that could sail across the Channel was sent across the channel to go grab those soldiers. Probably the most chaotic and well organized retreat of all time.

i can answer that question. Been a member of the Imperial War Museum here in London for a few years and I attended a symposium that was held in conjunction of a John Keegan Book(Keegan is a must read for this who want good books on either ww1 or 2) and during the Q and A Keegan described some of the boat that answered the "All Sea worthy boats to Dunkrk". The yacht was one of the more glamours boats--most of the boats were small fish vessels, long boats that went up down the cannals here in the UK and row boats. Something like 40% of the boats that answered the call were not clear to head to open seas and most who got on them were shocked to make to back to Brighty

here are some pictures of the boards that went to Dunkirk from Dover (100 miles give or take) and if you have ever taken a small craft across the channel you will understand why some consider it a farce--regardless of the fact it was nearly a complete success

dunkirk3.jpg

dunkirk1.jpg

_47928970_47928969.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

uk540wenban_zps2f47e179.jpg

here is a picture from a reuinion a few years ago--reportedly every boat you see was sent to Dunkirk

little_ships_3315756b.jpg

Not sure of it will be in the movie but there is an amusing Richard Attenborough movie

here is a pathe film on the evac

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Dunkirk Post

That's pretty awesome. WWII has always been something I've been interested in. It's really nice to see Dunkirk being paid attention to. Maybe one day we'll get a Dieppe Raid movie to make up for Passchendaele or one at least on the commando raids in Norway and St. Nazaire. There are still many avenue's of WWII that are yet to be explored.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That's pretty awesome. WWII has always been something I've been interested in. It's really nice to see Dunkirk being paid attention to. Maybe one day we'll get a Dieppe Raid movie to make up for Passchendaele or one at least on the commando raids in Norway and St. Nazaire. There are still many avenue's of WWII that are yet to be explored.

without getting more political

I think the problem with much of the untold or unfilmed stories of ww2 can be found in the fact that the US not getting into the war til Dec 41--and for the money needed to film a proper ww2 movie you need to be able to sell it an American Audience and that can be tough sometimes. You just need to look at the move U-571--that movie started out as the story of how the brits got one of the first enigma code machines but ended up being turned into how the American got it and broke the code--even though it was broken prior to the Americans getting into the war.

This movie will be a good test to see if movies based upon stuff that happened between 39 and 41 and whether or not they are financially viable to make

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
without getting more political

I think the problem with much of the untold or unfilmed stories of ww2 can be found in the fact that the US not getting into the war til Dec 41--and for the money needed to film a proper ww2 movie you need to be able to sell it an American Audience and that can be tough sometimes. You just need to look at the move U-571--that movie started out as the story of how the brits got one of the first enigma code machines but ended up being turned into how the American got it and broke the code--even though it was broken prior to the Americans getting into the war.

This movie will be a good test to see if movies based upon stuff that happened between 39 and 41 and whether or not they are financially viable to make

Makes sense that to sell to an American audience the characters have to be relate-able and the best way to do that is by making them American.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
British probably would have taken a smaller part in the land operations regarding 1944 and onwards. Maybe the Normandy Invasion is smaller. The Germans never had the resources or capability to attempt a landing across the channel. The British Navy and Air Force would have completely demolished any invasion fleet. Plus the Canadians sent over a trained division that actually landed in France for a day before being sent to Britain.

Yes and the US would have fought tooth and nail until they won. Plus Russia would have still broken thru eventually and closed them off.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
i can answer that question. Been a member of the Imperial War Museum here in London for a few years and I attended a symposium that was held in conjunction of a John Keegan Book(Keegan is a must read for this who want good books on either ww1 or 2) and during the Q and A Keegan described some of the boat that answered the "All Sea worthy boats to Dunkrk". The yacht was one of the more glamours boats--most of the boats were small fish vessels, long boats that went up down the cannals here in the UK and row boats. Something like 40% of the boats that answered the call were not clear to head to open seas and most who got on them were shocked to make to back to Brighty

here are some pictures of the boards that went to Dunkirk from Dover (100 miles give or take) and if you have ever taken a small craft across the channel you will understand why some consider it a farce--regardless of the fact it was nearly a complete success

Thanks for sharing. I'd LOVE to get back over to London as the Imperial War Museum would be towards the top of my list.

I feel as though not a lot of people (over here anyway) don't know about Dunkirk. It was an amazing event all those boats going over and saving the soldiers they did. Pretty unfathomable.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Thanks for sharing. I'd LOVE to get back over to London as the Imperial War Museum would be towards the top of my list.

I feel as though not a lot of people (over here anyway) don't know about Dunkirk. It was an amazing event all those boats going over and saving the soldiers they did. Pretty unfathomable.

as a history buff it is one of the things that keeps me in London

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
As an American I was well aware of Dunkirk. I anxiously await this film.

For the WW2 buffs:
Today I was speaking with a bartender whose father was a Merrill's Marauder. I thought that was really cool. The Brits were heavily involved with them in Burma, well there was some competition there. Lol

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
I'm pretty sure Braveheart had no Americans in it.

The idea that all successful historical movies require the presence of Americans is a fallacy.

Mind you, Braveheart is what I would call "loosely historical".

"Cough Cough" Mel "born in the USA" Gibson

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005

Neither Memento nor Insomnia had any links to anything to do with sci fi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad