Rumor: Ducks trying to unload a contract in order to re-sign Rakell/Lindholm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Stoner and a 2nd round pick for Andrej Nestrasil? I have no idea how high the Canes are on him.

I don't see the Canes actually giving anything up for a guy they don't really need (Stoner) and adding salary to boot. Yes, he will be expansion draft eligible, but if Murphy plays 35 games he is, or if they extend Hainsey he is, etc...

I would think the Canes would want Anaheim to add a sweetener to take on Stoner or they wouldn't be interested.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Totally agree with this, Anaheim will need to add a pick onto Stoner to move that contract i would think.

The only way moving Stoner makes sense for ANA is if someone takes on his full contract. Eating half his contract doesnt really do much for Murray.

In order for any team to be willing to take on Stoner at $3.25 mil they will have to be handsomely rewarded, a 2nd rd pick at worst IMO

Stoner at $3.25 mil is pure trash. Like Bickell at $4 mil comparable trash

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I know they just signed Quincey, but I guess New Jersey could be a fit. I'd guess Carolina gets in on it, too. Maybe Detroit? I guess maybe Montreal but I doubt they want to add too much more cap.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The only way moving Stoner makes sense for ANA is if someone takes on his full contract. Eating half his contract doesnt really do much for Murray.

In order for any team to be willing to take on Stoner at $3.25 mil they will have to be handsomely rewarded, a 2nd rd pick at worst IMO

Stoner at $3.25 mil is pure trash. Like Bickell at $4 mil comparable trash

The cost of taking on Savard's contract was a 2nd round pick, and insurance is paying that money.

Stoner's contract has term and he has to actually play on the team. The cost is HIGH to take him.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Name one team that has a need to stabilize their third pair AND can afford to pay him anywhere between $1.6 and $3.25 mil for two more years? Need is the key word here. Any bottom feeder team clearly has cap space and holes, but why plug it with an above market price dman who isnt very good anymore unless they are getting a big asset for helping out ANA?

Also, moving stoner at 50% isnt enough to fix Anaheims situation so they would still be cornered into making another move out of desperation. Not sure Murray wants to be on the losing end of two trades while possibly retaining salary on one of the trades for a budget conscious team just to retain guys on the roster from last year AND hand them raises

A team like NJD or other bottom half team doesnt really NEED to stabilize their bottom pair this year or next as they arent prepared to make any noise. All the contenders are either probably pretty content right now with their rosters and arent looking to do Anaheim favors before the season starts. Any other non contenders likely have much bigger holes than third pair dmen, which are a dime a dozen right now and a fraction of the cost and likely better ability than Stoner

The Ducks have used him with Vatanen the past three years, as a way developing Vatanen and allowing Vats to do his thing. Too busy to look through everyone's roster, but he's a solid player and played very well for us in the playoffs (hurt this past year). Like I said, he's slightly overpaid and I'm not expecting much of a return (probably will add a prospect or pick), but if BM can move some of the players he has in the past (Brewer, Borque, Heatley), this one would be much easier for him to do.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
how much has bieksa dropped off?

bieksa (retained a little bit) for boro+something maybe?

ottawa gets a better defenceman albeit has to take on more cap

anaheim has a lot of good internal options so they wont feel the loss of bieksa too badly, get to save cap to go towards their young guys and get a 7th dman and something for future

might take more just depends on anaheims desperation level

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Stoner is not as bad as everyone is talking here.... He is definitely overpaid but he knows his role

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

anaheim has a lot of good internal options so they wont feel the loss of bieksa too badly, get to save cap to go towards their young guys and get a 7th dman and something for future

Bieksa carries a NMC and you'd be forced to protect him come expansion unless he agrees to waive it for you.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I don't see Anaheim going so far as to add a 1st.

I'm not sure a late 2nd would do it for a heavy budget team like the Canes. Would hope more for a late 1st or a guy like Nattinen/Noesen. Maybe NJ would be more inclined.

Canes are spoiled now getting Teravainen for a similar contract/situation in Bickell.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013

He has nmc he's not moving his family again, ducks are stuck with bieksa.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Bieksa carries a NMC and you'd be forced to protect him come expansion unless he agrees to waive it for you.

that is a very good point, i thought it might have been waived since he got traded to anaheim and its up to the teams discretion to honour it (subban and nashville). If he has a NMC then we would need it waived otherwise its a no go

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Finally the Bruins have some cap space to work with. That $5.7m in room looks really nice right now.

What do you want for Fowler?

Spooner only costs $950K on the cap and he scored 50 points last year.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Ducks don't want boucher.... Rather get someone like Dano

For Despres? What's wrong with Boucher if it also means we rid enough cap space to sign Lindholm and Rakell? I'd be all for that move to be honest. It's not like we are going to be able to keep all of our D through this season and the expansion draft and I doubt it's a sellers market for middle pairing Dmen at this point in the season.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
that is a very good point, i thought it might have been waived since he got traded to anaheim and its up to the teams discretion to honour it (subban and nashville). If he has a NMC then we would need it waived otherwise its a no go

He did waive it to go Anaheim, but BM, for no apparent reason that is fathomable, gave him a NMC on his two year extension (went into effect 7/1/16).

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Stoner is not as bad as everyone thinks he is. He is an NHL third pairing defender, that plays physical and is not a liability. The Ducks had the lowest goals against last year and he was a plus 4. He just happens to have the worse contract vs. ability on the Ducks, which is why they are trying to move his contract.

If you had cap room and needed a veteran D-man, would you rather have Stoner and a 2nd for an average prospect, or Despres and give up a top prospect. obviously a speculation, but you get the idea.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, no idea what that comment was about. Despres was out with a concussion for most of the season and then struggled with rust and ongoing symptoms upon his apparently rushed return, as he admitted recently, but he's far from a negative.

Was he really rushed back? He missed three months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad