Proposal: Ducks - Habs

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Just for fun / discussion (I never see Perry waiving, but if he did it would certainly be more for a low-key team than Mtl), but let's say both Ducks and Habs deny a "rebuild" and just want to change things up a bit and still both "go for it":

Ducks:
Shea Weber (7.857M)
Andrew Shaw (3.90M)

Habs:
Corey Perry (8.625M)
Jakob Silfverberg (3.75M)
Brandon Montour (RFA)
Giovanni Fiore OR Julius Nattinen OR Kalle Kossila

For Anaheim:
  • Upgrade the D to take another shot at it with Getz/Kesler-led core. Weber brings Ducks style hockey (slow, big, physical, booming point shot). I think paired with Fowler, it would cover for his loss in foot speed and make an excellent Top-4 with Lindholm/Manson.
  • Replace Silf with Shaw on the Kesler/checking line; Shaw can also slide over to C that line should Kesler get injured.
  • Open a spot for a youngster, or a returning Eaves, to grab a scoring line role

For Montreal:
  • Corey Perry may be in decline, but he still puts up points and give montreal more size, winning experience and a top-flight agitator (him and Gallagher will surely upset opposing goalies!)
  • Silverberg gives them a great, still-young two-way forward, who has been known to step it up in playoffs (should Habs make it) and also can help in the shootout + secondary scoring depts. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to re-sign him, if he fits well, either.
  • They add a Top-4 quality, young offensive RD in Montour; a valuable commodity in today's NHL
  • They add a C prospect of their choice which they are fairly weak in.
Money is roughly even (though Anaheim takes on more years).

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Besides the fact that this is probably too unrealistic to bother with, I wouldn't entertain any idea where we give up Montour to get an aging player, and there's no way Murray would either.

But, we know RC thinks he is to blame for our sweep as he leads the rush too often :sarcasm: and we also know RC isn't going anywhere (sadly) ....

Reactions: Mallard

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
This is terrible... Please stop trying to give players away for things we don't want or need.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Downgrade on Silfverberg, continued depletion of Ducks future and young Dcore after losing Theodore and Vatanen and now Montour, and no one to replace Perry's and Silf's production. Fantastic trade for us!

I'd rather keep Perry for his remaining years.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
This sucks for Anaheim. Montreal gets a young top 4 dman and trade away one of the worst contracts in the league doing it.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Weber is a better player than Perry at this point, but Weber's contract is far far FAR worse. Ducks have enough bad contracts with term - no way they would take him under any circumstances.

In terms of the overall proposal, Montreal dumps 2 bad contracts on the ducks and gets back a ton of young affordable talent. That is just god awful.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
As a King fan I approve this deal for the Ducks. Send all that for one of the worst contracts in hockey. Then after this deal went down I would hope Weber plays all of the contract out.

quacktastic93

Dec 9, 2017
Just for fun / discussion (I never see Perry waiving, but if he did it would certainly be more for a low-key team than Mtl), but let's say both Ducks and Habs deny a "rebuild" and just want to change things up a bit and still both "go for it":

Ducks:
Shea Weber (7.857M)
Andrew Shaw (3.90M)

Habs:
Corey Perry (8.625M)
Brandon Montour (RFA)

For Anaheim:
  • Upgrade the D to take another shot at it with Getz/Kesler-led core. Weber brings Ducks style hockey (slow, big, physical, booming point shot). I think paired with Fowler, it would cover for his loss in foot speed and make an excellent Top-4 with Lindholm/Manson.
  • Replace Silf with Shaw on the Kesler/checking line; Shaw can also slide over to C that line should Kesler get injured.
  • Open a spot for a youngster, or a returning Eaves, to grab a scoring line role

For Montreal:
  • Corey Perry may be in decline, but he still puts up points and give montreal more size, winning experience and a top-flight agitator (him and Gallagher will surely upset opposing goalies!)
  • Silverberg gives them a great, still-young two-way forward, who has been known to step it up in playoffs (should Habs make it) and also can help in the shootout + secondary scoring depts. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to re-sign him, if he fits well, either.
  • They add a Top-4 quality, young offensive RD in Montour; a valuable commodity in today's NHL
for the most part this isnt a bad idea, but when u threw montour in there you lost me there

zero chance this happens

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
for the most part this isnt a bad idea, but when u threw montour in there you lost me there

zero chance this happens

Huh? Perry is not what he used to be and somewhat overpaid atm, but only for another 3 years. How that means we should package him with Silf and trade him for a guy that's also not worth his contract and signed for 100 years longer PLUS a 2nd cap dump mind boggling. That's almost 12M in salary they're dumping on ANA until 2022 and then we're STILL stick with Weber's 8M cap hit for another 2 years after that. That's not just a no.. that's a hell no

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I really think people are underrating Weber here only because his contract is what it is. He is STILL, at least IMO, a 15-20 goal, 40-50 point top-pairing Dman who has size, physicality and a booming shot. I feel Anaheim needs this!

Far as Silf, he never took that final step and I see him wanting a raise, Anaheim not willing to pay him much of one, and him walking as a free agent in two summers.

Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Weber

IMO, that Top4 would certainly be amongst the best in the league. We still have quite a few up-and-coming D (Larsson, Mahura, Welinski +) and can always continue to find and draft others. When Weber starts to fade, you shift him down and he would still add value on the third pair mentoring one of said young prospects.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
IMO, that Top4 would certainly be amongst the best in the league. We still have quite a few up-and-coming D (Larsson, Mahura, Welinski +) and can always continue to find and draft others. When Weber starts to fade, you shift him down and he would still add value on the third pair mentoring one of said young prospects.

You think a guy with an almost 8 million dollar cap hit would "add value" hanging out on the 3rd pairing? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

wraparound

May 17, 2014

Ducks:
Shea Weber (7.857M)
Andrew Shaw (3.90M)

Habs:
Corey Perry (8.625M)
Brandon Montour (RFA)

For Anaheim:

For Montreal:

Attachments

• D678F1F9-41D0-4C8E-A952-6993C9285699.jpeg
    D678F1F9-41D0-4C8E-A952-6993C9285699.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad