Confirmed with Link: Ducks claim Ross Johnston off waivers from the Islanders

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Apparently the “stop flaming” post didn’t get noticed.

Stop flaming. Attack the post, not the posters. Stop calling specific and/or groups of people names.

Anyone not paying attention this time can expect thread bans. Thank you.
Also ;

1) Flaming: Critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks against members are not permitted. Report flaming, do not respond to it. Counter-flaming is also prohibited.

2) Trolling: Do not make posts that could be interpreted as though they were made to cause an argument or provoke others. Making generalizations about other posters is a common form of trolling. Posting questionable content on team boards, particularly those of rivals, is likely to be seen as trolling.

11) No Disclosure of Personal Information: Do not disclose any other member's email, real name, address, phone number, IP address, private communications, or other personal information. Do not post publicly about your moderation history or the actions of moderators.

Last edited by a moderator:

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
If this guy doesnt run McDavid or Bedard into the boards like insanely hard at first chance then he should get sent down to the AHL
Leave those two alone. But he has my approval to run down Landeskog, Brown, Byfield, Danault and that one Frenchie who took a liberty against Z from the Habs...Paquette?

He may punch their faces in on a game-to-game basis.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Personally believe you need guys like this on your roster in growing years. Cronin is cut from that cloth as well. Very happy with this addition, even as a 13th/14th forward.
Guys like this, sure. I'll agree with that all day. But for enforcers to also be protectors, they need to be able to skate a shift with the guys they need to protect. Not necessarily a regular shift but in days past we could throw a Fedoruk or a Thornton or a Deslauriers out with a kid in a game that might get out of hand and at least keep the damage to a minimum.

Is Johnson that kind of guy? I have no idea but on paper he doesn't give me much confidence.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Someone on the main boards said he hasn't been the same since suffering an injury during this fight.

Something similar happened to Manson. I forget who he fought, but he suffered a concussion (IIRC) and also wasn't the same.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Someone on the main boards said he hasn't been the same since suffering an injury during this fight.
I wouldn’t worry about that. He’s had ten fights since that one, and he won most of them.

6-3-1 per hockeyfights.com

Wins over Attard, Maroon, Simmonds, L. Schenn, Tinordi, Watson.

Losses to Gudbranson, Reaves, Rempe.

Draw vs. Deslauriers

Last edited:

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It'll be good to have a guy that can fight (and is a forward, not a D). As others have said, I don't know how much it will be a deterrent from people going after our young kids. Two enforcers going at it does nothing for someone going after Terry/Z. Flip side of that is hopefully he can answer the call when Gudas lays a guy out. I prefer Johnston in the box over Gudas.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I wouldn’t worry about that. He’s had ten fights since that one, and he won most of them.

Draw vs. Deslauriers
The fight manson had that lemeuix at the time with the kings buckled him. Was on the tail end of just coming back from a season injury where he missed almost the entire season. I also remember hearing he found Jesus and started going to church every week. Different case circumstances

Draw vs. Deslauriers
Not a bad record there. He has good straight line speed. Maybe with more consistent playing time, he can get better as an overall hockey player too

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
Calm down. Lol

Leave those two alone. But he has my approval to run down Landeskog, Brown, Byfield, Danault and that one Frenchie who took a liberty against Z from the Habs...Paquette?

He may punch their faces in on a game-to-game basis.
Man, you guys are way too soft. This Ross-dude needs to strike fear into the hearts of the skilled softies.
If he cant do that he's useless.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I just think it's funny how much people have to say about Johnson. There are more posts in this thread than career GP for the 29yo player.

Hahaha… and it will probably take more minutes to read this thread than the minutes he plays this year.

The truth is everyone would want Tom Wilson without his cheap dirty hits.

The problem is finding a truly productive hockey player who stands up for teammates and only goes over-the-line after an opposing player causes an injury.

Until hits on players like the one on Depres by Barrie result in massive suspensions, players will need to enforce dirty hits. Taking away someone’s livelihood with an intentionally dirty play does require retribution of the league continues to ignore the long term consequences.

John

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Until fighting is banned by the league, guys like Ross will always be in demand.

1697056461686.png

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Whole new type of season awaits us. We’re the big bad ducks again. We have grit and annoyance mixed in with a lot of youthful skill

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I remember reading about how Boll was going to make us tougher, protect the scorers, hold opponents accountable, etc. Hope Johnston does a better job of being a bad hockey player but making the team better.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I remember reading about how Boll was going to make us tougher, protect the scorers, hold opponents accountable, etc. Hope Johnston does a better job of being a bad hockey player but making the team better.
Boll was like Kassian, in that he was a couple years past being an actual deterrent with his fighting. I don’t know enough about Johnston to know if he can at least do that job.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Apparently the “stop flaming” post didn’t get noticed.

Stop flaming. Attack the post, not the posters. Stop calling specific and/or groups of people names.

Anyone not paying attention this time can expect thread bans. Thank you.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I enjoyed this team a lot more when they were physical as hell. That doesn't mean I have to blindly love every player who is physical-adjacent.
It's a start did you forgot there was a time not too long ago where Anaheim dressed 3 heavyweights and won a cup? And this also included beating enforcerless skill teams like Detroit and Ottawa. Mixing skill and toughness is the best recipe

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
It's a start did you forgot there was a time not too long ago where Anaheim dressed 3 heavyweights and won a cup? And this also included beating enforcerless skill teams like Detroit and Ottawa. Mixing skill and toughness is the best recipe
"3 heavyweights" got me curious as to who exactly you were referring to because I know Parros barely played in the playoffs that year.

This is question is directed at anyone as I think you'd be surprised at the list. Who were the top 5 players to lead the team in PIMs in the 2007 playoffs?

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
All of those guys could play. All of them. Are we sure this one can?
I would say he's better than Parros but worse than May and Thornton. Regardless the team won't be competitive for at 2-3 years which is his contract

"3 heavyweights" got me curious as to who exactly you were referring because I know Parros barely played in the playoffs that year.

This is question is directed at anyone as I think you'd be surprised at the list. Who were the top 5 players to lead the team in PIMs in the 2007 playoffs?
Parros played and of course Shawn Thornton and Brad May
Let's also don't forget O'Donnell and Moen not heavyweights but close

"3 heavyweights" got me curious as to who exactly you were referring to because I know Parros barely played in the playoffs that year.

I'm guessing Pronger would be one

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I would say he's better than Parros but worse than May and Thornton. Regardless the team won't be competitive for at 2-3 years which is his contract

Parros played and of course Shawn Thornton and Brad May
Let's also don't forget O'Donnell and Moen not heavyweights but close

I'm guessing Pronger would be one
I figured those were the three you were referring to. Not to belittle their impact, but it's wild to me that two of those guys averaged less than 4 minutes of ice time in the playoffs that year.

Randy was basically rolling 3 forward lines and 2 defensive pairs. Don't think that's a viable strategy nowadays.

Pronger barely made the cut at number 5, and get this, TIED with Scott Niedermayer! They each had 26 PIMs while playing roughly 30 minutes a game at ages 32 & 33.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad