Proposal: Ducks - Avs

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
When Hakanpaa is on the ice 5v5, the Ducks are scoring 2.42 GF/60 (Link), which is not bad comparatively. He's just not picking up secondary assists. Either he's unbelievably poor offensively and the Ducks are doing an incredible job creating offensive basically 4v5 or his statline is due for a correction there or elsewhere. I lean towards the latter.

If the Avs don't want him at that modest price, the Canes would be interested.
How’s his speed?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The fact that you just brought up scoring totals of the players being discussed here as the basis of your comparison makes me question if you've ever seen any hockey game. Honestly stop responding, nothing about this topic should have triggered any mud slinging, and nothing about being offered a decent Dman for a mid round pick should have made you so upset.

I believe the issue is not the player or offer, but the need for another DMan, AVs are stacked and even scratched players might be comparable. So unless he’s an excellent skater with good outlet passing there is less interest. If the proposal is revised for a G or 3C it might be more agreeable.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
We're running a bit thin on draft picks and the nobodies we've picked up on D for free have actually been pretty decent. I'd rather hold steady unless there's a true impact vet on an expiring contract that's available.

Reactions: Patagonia

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
The rest of this rather pointless trade aside, I don't understand the necessity of swapping 4th round picks.

The Avs are already missing their 2nd, 4th and 6th this year, so I figured by taking their 3rd (my target for Ducks if trading Hawk by deadline), they may not like having so few picks this year.

Thus, threw them our 4th this year, in exchange for theirs next.

Basically, what Anaheim ends up with for Hawk is:

- moving from an early 4th to a late 3rd (maybe ~8-10 spots up)
- getting a free 4th next year

I would also be fine with just their 3rd straight up but didn't think Avs would.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
He is actually a useful player for the Ducks and your third round pick is like a 4th. I know he isn't young but he is still getting better. I wouldnt trade him for that.

My hope was to re-sign him after the expansion draft since he is UFA. Basically, a "Hey Hawk, we are sending you to a contender, you'll get some playoff experience, but we'd like you back next season"

ie. what we just did with Grant; or has happened numerous times with players/teams in the past.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
My hope was to re-sign him after the expansion draft since he is UFA. Basically, a "Hey Hawk, we are sending you to a contender, you'll get some playoff experience, but we'd like you back next season"

ie. what we just did with Grant; or has happened numerous times with players/teams in the past.
I didn't realize he was a rental with one year left. I see your logic but I'd still try to extend him. He is a top 4 d for us and there is a risk he doesn't resign with us.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The Avs are already missing their 2nd, 4th and 6th this year, so I figured by taking their 3rd (my target for Ducks if trading Hawk by deadline), they may not like having so few picks this year.
Given the lack of scouting, I’m good trading picks this year and value ‘22 picks more.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
That is a very poor return for someone who's been playing as good as Hakanpää has. Unless he doesn't want to re-sign, then no, thanks.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I didn't realize he was a rental with one year left. I see your logic but I'd still try to extend him. He is a top 4 d for us and there is a risk he doesn't resign with us.

Yeah, I guess I felt it'd be a "handshake deal" made first where he agrees to come back to us...but no guarantees there and I guess we would need higher return to take the risk. I could see him winning the Cup then his asking price going up, too, which would screw the Ducks.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
That is a very poor return for someone who's been playing as good as Hakanpää has. Unless he doesn't want to re-sign, then no, thanks.

I feel returns all around this TDL will be lower vs. past years. Could be wrong of course.

It was basically, seeking any free assets as "better than nothing", if we could definitely re-sign him after the ED.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I haven’t watched him closely enough to give a proper answer.

Maybe Ducks fans could chime in here?

Watching him in the AHL last year a lot of us thought he'd be just too slow for the NHL game, but to his credit he's improved his foot speed to an adequate level. He won't be confused for Fowler out there, but he gets around just fine. When his feet can't get him there the guy can reach halfway across the ice anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad