GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Anaheim:
  • COL 3rd-round pick (2021)
  • COL 4th-round pick (2022)
Colorado:
  • Hakanpää
  • ANA 4th-round (2021)
I've seen some Avs fans mentioning they would like a defensive RHD. Enter Hawk. Cheap, playing well, no long-term commitment.

Ducks move up slightly in this year's draft and add a 4th next year. They can re-sign Hawk as a free agent, which I think they should.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
No the why was for the Avs?

he’s 29... not going to unseat anyone on their current roster or their depth chart... he’s a UFA at the end of the year...

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Hakanpää has been solid for the Ducks. Not saying he's a worldbreaker, but a good and cheap defensive D.

I'd take a third if he can't be re-signed for around the same contract.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
No the why was for the Avs?

he’s 29... not going to unseat anyone on their current roster or their depth chart... he’s a UFA at the end of the year...

There were Avs fans asking about Manson because they said your bottom pairing/PK could use some muscle. Hakanpaa is also big, strong and defensively sound, can step up and play top 4 minutes if your depth is depleted by injuries. Also makes a minimal salary, honestly for a cheap depth pickup I'd think almost any contender could use him.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
There were Avs fans asking about Manson because they said your bottom pairing/PK could use some muscle. Hakanpaa is also big, strong and defensively sound, can step up and play top 4 minutes if your depth is depleted by injuries. Also makes a minimal salary, honestly for a cheap depth pickup I'd think almost any contender could use him.
Asking about Manson because he’s actually useful within the Avs roster. If you can’t see the difference between the two then I can’t help you.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I'm not too oppose to it. Seems like an annual Sakic trade. We traded 3rds for Brassard and namesinkov the last couple of years. Both cheap rentals. I think this year though, Sakic might go bigger and get a Savard or Manson but this is a nice backup.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I like it. A 3rd is fair
He could challenge #34 for tim especially against heavier teams.

He could also be a cheaper re-sign candidate if Graves moves on.
Not to mention, we don't know what lies ahead for EJ either

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Asking about Manson because he’s actually useful within the Avs roster. If you can’t see the difference between the two then I can’t help you.
Not as much as you think outside of price and 1 year left on contract. Manson is better... but if your just looking for a physical dmen to play on bottom pair, pk etc.... hakanpaa is a solid option.... and would cost a heck of a lot less then Manson

I just don’t think the avs need to pay for 1.5 years of Manson... they d is good.... just adding a physical option

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Breaking down the position of the picks, it’s really with AVs 3rd = Ducks 4th:

Hakanpaa for AVs 4th

Not a terrible deal, uncertain why the AVs consider unless for depth purposes.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Hakanpaa is a pretty similar player, albeit less proven and also less costly. It's ironic you take such a condescending approach to the discussion of a player you seem to know nothing about.

Reactions: duckpuck

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Hakanpaa is a pretty similar player, albeit less proven and also less costly. It's ironic you take such a condescending approach to the discussion of a player you seem to know nothing about.
Lol I live in So Cal and catch every game but ok? Why do the Avs give up assets for players they already have?

Renouf?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Lol I live in So Cal and catch every game but ok? Why do the Avs give up assets for players they already have?

Renouf?

I think the consensus would be that Hakanpaa is the better player and in the least has shown capable of handling a larger role. Renouf's season high is a little over 14 mins, are you comfortable with him handling a top four role if a couple of injuries pile up? Hakanpaa has been playing top four and at times even top pairing minutes this year. At the cost of a 4th (and what might amount to a move up of a couple picks), Hakanpaa improves your depth and adds a heavier presence.

Some were suggesting Manson, but for the cost (contract and acquisition), he might be overkill for a team that is already set with it's top four. A poor man's version like Hakanpaa, who is also a rental, might honestly be a better fit.

Reactions: Paul4587

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I think the consensus would be that Hakanpaa is the better player and in the least has shown capable of handling a larger role. Renouf's season high is a little over 14 mins, are you comfortable with him handling a top four role if a couple of injuries pile up? Hakanpaa has been playing top four and at times even top pairing minutes this year. At the cost of a 4th (and what might amount to a move up of a couple picks), Hakanpaa improves your depth and adds a heavier presence.

Some were suggesting Manson, but for the cost (contract and acquisition), he might be overkill for a team that is already set with it's top four. A poor man's version like Hakanpaa, who is also a rental, might honestly be a better fit.

AVs are fairly stacked and the bottom pairing is already fairly solid. However, with only 1 RHD and rest are LHD and playing their off wing.

Toew (l) - Makar (r)
MacDonald (l) - Girard (l)
Byram (l) - Graves (l)

Prospects are all RHD - Timmins, Helleson and Barron.

Hakanpaa would be a depth player. Unfortunately, not better than any of the LHD playing RD or prospects.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008

Injuries have already piled up. Byram, Johnson, Timmons... and he’s still out scoring your player

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
AVs are fairly stacked and the bottom pairing is already fairly solid. However, with only 1 RHD and rest are LHD and playing their off wing.

Toew (l) - Makar (r)
MacDonald (l) - Girard (l)
Byram (l) - Graves (l)

Prospects are all RHD - Timmins, Helleson and Barron.

Hakanpaa would be a depth player. Unfortunately, not better than any of the LHD playing RD or prospects.
Let’s not forget MacDonald and Renouf playing better.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Have you even seen an Avs game? I don’t think you have.

The fact that you just brought up scoring totals of the players being discussed here as the basis of your comparison makes me question if you've ever seen any hockey game. Honestly stop responding, nothing about this topic should have triggered any mud slinging, and nothing about being offered a decent Dman for a mid round pick should have made you so upset.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
When Hakanpaa is on the ice 5v5, the Ducks are scoring 2.42 GF/60 (Link), which is not bad comparatively. He's just not picking up secondary assists. Either he's unbelievably poor offensively and the Ducks are doing an incredible job creating offensive basically 4v5 or his statline is due for a correction there or elsewhere. I lean towards the latter.

If the Avs don't want him at that modest price, the Canes would be interested.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Anaheim:
  • COL 3rd-round pick (2021)
  • COL 4th-round pick (2022)
Colorado:
  • Hakanpää
  • ANA 4th-round (2021)
I've seen some Avs fans mentioning they would like a defensive RHD. Enter Hawk. Cheap, playing well, no long-term commitment.

Ducks move up slightly in this year's draft and add a 4th next year. They can re-sign Hawk as a free agent, which I think they should.
He is actually a useful player for the Ducks and your third round pick is like a 4th. I know he isn't young but he is still getting better. I wouldnt trade him for that.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
The fact that you just brought up scoring totals of the players being discussed here as the basis of your comparison makes me question if you've ever seen any hockey game. Honestly stop responding, nothing about this topic should have triggered any mud slinging, and nothing about being offered a decent Dman for a mid round pick should have made you so upset.
Every fan base has stupid posters like this, even ours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad