LeBrun: Dubois wants out of Winnipeg, will not sign a contract for next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Montreal should not trade significant assets for him, and whenever he is a free agent their offer should top out around $4-5m. If he wants to be there that bad then fine, but if he wants anything close to market value they should stay away.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No way!!! This is breaking news alright!!!
The idea that he just doesn't want to play in Winnipeg next season is new.

(Actually, WTF can he do if Winnipeg elects him to arbitration?)

Montreal should not trade significant assets for him, and whenever he is a free agent their offer should top out around $4-5m. If he wants to be there that bad then fine, but if he wants anything close to market value they should stay away.
... WTF, that's less than what they're paying Mike Motherf***ing Shitface Hoffman at this moment...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The idea that he just doesn't want to play in Winnipeg next season is new.

He can refuse to play, daydream about Winnipeg having his contract terminated for cause, and then delude himself into believing that Montreal will happily take him on under those circumstances and that the League would let them do so.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
now he won't be able to hang out in Little Burgundy without 10 000 habs fans asking him the same question each day

NitroF

Feb 6, 2006
I usually prefer the good selfless typical pro hockey player, but I still can admire his willingness to use every leverages he can to be where he wants to be, regardless of what people say and old school hockey culture.

Remains to be seen if he will stay put and thrive once he achieves his goal or if he changes his mind all the time and play poorly because of it. That’s what will tell me if I respect his choices or not in the end.

(He definitely do not care what I and all of us think though and can respect that also: it’s his life.)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He can refuse to play, daydream about Winnipeg having his contract terminated for cause, and then delude himself into believing that Montreal will happily take him on under those circumstances and that the League would let them do so.
C'mon now, Dubois would be the 13224th unhappy NHL player dealt.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He could still sign an offer sheet.

Team Elected Arbitration

Teams can take players to arbitration, to a maximum of 2 Team Elections per year.

If a player made $2.11M or more in the last season, the Arbitration award must be 85% of their previous season pay or more. If the team elects arbitration, the player can still sign an offer sheet with another team prior to July 5 at 5pm, which would negate the team elected arbitration. The Team must elect the arbitration by 5pm on the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Finals ends.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Anyone else think this guy is a bum? Will never forget how he quit on CBJ with "the shift" and now won't sign a 1 year deal to demand a trade? Seems too entitled for a 60 point player.
Free Agents can, as a matter of fact, refuse to sign a deal.

(Then he can be elected to arbitration. It's up to the Jets to follow through if they wish)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
C'mon now, Dubois would be the 13224th unhappy NHL player dealt.
Perhaps, but if the nothing offers that frequently come along here are any indication, I suspect Winnipeg is going to be better off giving him the finger.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well, yeah, but if no offersheet is forthcoming?

(And Dubois would probably make more on his arbitration award than he would on his offersheet)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Huh. I thought that option had gone away. :dunno:

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
He’ll be dealt before offer sheet season starts. Gotta wonder though - is there ANYWHERE where this guy would be happy? He hasn’t been a good fit anywhere in his career. He might have his golden bridge where he thinks everything will finally be okay, but I hope he’s actually being honest and realistic about it, or he’ll just be miserable there too.

Reactions: Blueston

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Huh. I thought that option had gone away. :dunno:
I think you are thinking of the *second* window to bring a player to arbitration once the player does not sign his QO in July.

That's one of the reasons CGY filled for club-elected arbitration with Tkachuk after he did not sign the QO.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think you are thinking of the *second* window to bring a player to arbitration once the player does not sign his QO in July.

That's one of the reasons CGY filled for club-elected arbitration with Tkachuk after he did not sign the QO.
Ah! Yeah, I probably heard about the Tkachuk deal and somehow got it into my head that it applied to all club-elected cases. Whoopsie.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
What’s the ask from St. Louis?

We could use a top 6 C in his age range to pair with Thomas while they’re in their primes together.

10 and Snuggerud are off the table, but basically anything else is something to discuss

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Players like PLD truly are a cancer to the league. A moderately high end player with aggressively zero loyalty thus making him borderline impossible to add to your team well enough to achieve a greater outcome.

That's what you get when players have absolutely no say on where they play.

Reactions: Sendhelplease

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The key wording for me there was "brisson willing to work with chevy"...

Doesn't sound like it's "I want to only be in montreal". Also, if his goal was to get to Montreal asap, he'd sign his 1 year deal and go at UFA next summer. This makes it sound like he's willing to be elsewhere

I'm guessing there is a list of markets he'd re-sign in and chevy can work to get the best deal from those teams

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That's what you get when players have absolutely no say on where they play.
They have a say when they make it to unrestricted free agency. 99.999999% of players in the modern history of the NHL can deal with that and "do their time". He's the only one who's been such a persistent dick about it, to the point of sabotaging his existing teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad