Waived: Dryden Hunt

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If you all remember the Rangers could have kept Hunt but for the need to bank cap space. So think of him as the first casualty for whatever Drury brings at TDL.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Landeskog is out for 12 weeks. That, as they say, is that.

Honestly, who (aside from Reaves) is Hunt supposed to play ahead of? Vesey has outplayed him and can PK, he's not a center, and he's not better than Goodrow. If the Rangers are healthy, Hunt and Reaves are sitting and the Rangers don't have the cap space to play with.
Hunt at least scored a goal before he got canned. A good one, a game tying one in the Winnipeg game. What has Vesey done?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This is absurdly incorrect. Where are all those idiots "hE iSnT gOiNg To GeT cLaImEd AnYwAyS". I won't die on the Hunt hill, but the infatuation this fan base has with guys like Blais, Rydahl, Reaves, etc is ridiculous. Hunt is a better player than all 3
It's tough. I mean I absolutely agree that Hunt is an NHL player and I wish we could have kept him. I don't think he's better than Blais, though. He's better at staying healthy, which is something, but he's if you line them up, I don't think there's much else Hunt does better.

Rydahl, the verdict is still out. I liked what I saw in the preseason. He could be a solid player in his own right.

Reaves...I don't know. They obviously valuable his leadership and intangibles. All of those other guys are probably better actual hockey players.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
It's tough. I mean I absolutely agree that Hunt is an NHL player and I wish we could have kept him. I don't think he's better than Blais, though. He's better at staying healthy, which is something, but he's if you line them up, I don't think there's much else Hunt does better.

Rydahl, the verdict is still out. I liked what I saw in the preseason. He could be a solid player in his own right.

Reaves...I don't know. They obviously valuable his leadership and intangibles. All of those other guys are probably better actual hockey players.
Last season Hunt had a whopping 1 more goal and 4 more points and played more games than Reaves. Reaves is also the best in the business at what he does even if there are people that dont think fighting should be in the game.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Hopefully Blais has gotten the injury bug out of his system and returns to 2019 Cup Run form he had with St. Louis. Couple big time goals, physical presence every shift, could be a good player alongside Chytil once he shakes the rust off and if he stays uninjured.

If he doesn't, not that Hunt changes the makeup of this roster, but hes worth half the price and was one of our most effective 4th lines and Hunt @ 750k > Blais @ 1.5 if Blais doesn't figure out his game.

The irrational hate for Hunt should really be aimed at GG for using him in a top 6 role he clearly wasn't suited for. And I like GG, think hes done a fine job, but this wasn't one of his bright spots.

Hunt was an effective, reliable, good 4th liner. Its a shame we "had" to lose him, these type of low-cost but effective players are the ones you sometimes miss come crunch time. Hope thats not the case with Hunt.

Personally, Vesey earned his way in Training Camp, and is a solid PKer who I think has looked good on Chytils LW. To me, this wasn't a Hunt vs Vesey. It was a Kravtsov/Blais vs Hunt. Unique situations with both Blais and Hunt and a desire for NYR to have both those players work out for them or for trade reasons (understandably) cause Hunt to lose his job because Vesey outplayed him and earned it.

I will say, a Blais-Chytil-Kravtsov had a lot of potential and if it works that way, allowed a 4th line consisting of Vesey-Goodrow-Reaves-Carpenter on any given night, we won't miss Hunt much, thats a great bottom 6

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia

I'm not sure a lot of this fanbase understands the effect of Reaves.

He's a guy who wants to play every game, like every other player. But he understands his role, his purpose, and even just having him around the room if he's not in the lineup is a + for the team. His intangibles, his role, his personality, it all helps the team and the room.

I'm glad the Rangers won't do it, because waiving Reaves or trading him would be a massive mistake. Sometimes a guys salary may not be what it should, sometimes it may not make all that much sense, but some players values go WAY beyond their on-ice play, not even in terms of C's or A's, but in terms of locker room chemistry, "vibes" and their on ice play in certain situations.

I swear y'all have a problem lol.

It took him to get waived and claimed to get a player thread. When he was here, he wasn't an NHL level player. Now that the Avs claimed, oh shit they took a diamond in the rough and are gonna polish it up good.
I wish this was twitter so I could retweet this. Guess a quote will suffice

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Last season Hunt had a whopping 1 more goal and 4 more points and played more games than Reaves. Reaves is also the best in the business at what he does even if there are people that dont think fighting should be in the game.
I'm not one of those people who think fighting shouldn't be in the game, and I absolutely respect Reaves and what he brings. And I totally understand why he's on the roster, why we acquired him and then extended him. I get all of it.

I stand by my comment than Hunt is a better player. It doesn't mean he's more valuable to the team than Reaves, but he's a better hockey player.

Deleted member 23124

I swear y'all have a problem lol.

It took him to get waived and claimed to get a player thread. When he was here, he wasn't an NHL level player. Now that the Avs claimed, oh shit they took a diamond in the rough and are gonna polish it up good.
I agree wholeheartedly!!!! I never understood how he managed to stay on the team so long, much less actually end up in the lineup.

• Haha
Reactions: will1066

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm not sure a lot of this fanbase understands the effect of Reaves.

He's a guy who wants to play every game, like every other player. But he understands his role, his purpose, and even just having him around the room if he's not in the lineup is a + for the team. His intangibles, his role, his personality, it all helps the team and the room.

I'm glad the Rangers won't do it, because waiving Reaves or trading him would be a massive mistake. Sometimes a guys salary may not be what it should, sometimes it may not make all that much sense, but some players values go WAY beyond their on-ice play, not even in terms of C's or A's, but in terms of locker room chemistry, "vibes" and their on ice play in certain situations.

I wish this was twitter so I could retweet this. Guess a quote will suffice
I've pretty consistently been on the side of "Reaves brings more than what you see on the stat sheet" and that it's fine to dress him semi-regularly. I'm not advocating for getting rid of him.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Reaves has a place here for the time being. I like him on the roster maybe 2/3 of games. I don’t need to see him out there in the playoffs when the speed kicks up a notch. I do think his personality and presence add something to this team. I think he impacted the team positively last year. I wish we could’ve kept Hunt, but not at the cost of Reaves. I say that knowing Hunt is the better and cheaper player.

LoveGoons

Mar 3, 2021
Reeves is a necessity for the Rangers the do not have anyone who will police the other team from taking runs or cheap shots. It is the Achilles heal of the rangers. The top two lines have no one who can’t push back..please don’t tell Kreider can do anything but hug some one..

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Reeves is a necessity for the Rangers the do not have anyone who will police the other team from taking runs or cheap shots. It is the Achilles heal of the rangers. The top two lines have no one who can’t push back..please don’t tell Kreider can do anything but hug some one..
I agree. But he could have sat versus the Sharks. The Rangers need Reaves but not every match…

That said, probably fine to close this Dryden Hunt thread

Last edited:

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Lafy and Kreider will stick up for teammates more than Mika or Panarin would, but I agree. Another power forward type would be nice. Othmann has a mean streak nastiness in his game. Barbashev also has some bite as well as Cuylle. The future will have that. Need to get rid of the softer non physical forwards on this team. Another guy that goes to the net would be nice.

Reactions: egelband

LyNX27

Lafy and Kreider will stick up for teammates more than Mika or Panarin would, but I agree. Another power forward type would be nice. Othmann has a mean streak nastiness in his game. Barbashev also has some bite as well as Cuylle. The future will have that. Need to get rid of the softer non physical forwards on this team. Another guy that goes to the net would be nice.

Othmann also needs a bit of "man strength" and muscle before we start penciling him into that PF role completely, but I like where your head is at, and hopefully, he trends in that Marchand/Tkachuk direction.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Othmann also needs a bit of "man strength" and muscle before we start penciling him into that PF role completely, but I like where your head is at, and hopefully, he trends in that Marchand/Tkachuk direction.
Othmann compares himself to Tkachuk and Conner. I'd take that

Reactions: Rongomania

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It doesn't matter if fighting should be in the game.

Considering how few fights actually occur anymore it's unclear what makes Reaves necessary.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
it's quite easy to land a lot of hits when you never have the puck and always chase
I dont think Reaves is an every game player, but i think theres a lot of misguided hate on the guy. The whole 4th line and 3rd pair D have been horrible.

I think there are certain things Reaves does like being top heavyweight in the league and 3rd in hits in the league last year ( I know there are a lot of people that dont care about those aspects any more) that do make him a nice piece to have even though hes not an everyday player

If this team could score 5 on 5 and got better goaltending i dont think people would be throwing darts at Reaves.

Seriously Hunt had many games playing with Panarin and managed one more goal than Reaves all season? Yikes

• Love
Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad