DRW: Summer 2019 Prospect Ranking #5

Who is our number 5 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Berggren. Feels like people are forgetting about him a bit, but his upside is pretty impressive. Hirose is talented, but not the player his point streak would suggest.

And I don't trust goalies until they're in the NHL. Goalie performance seems to change so much between leagues, sometimes in volatile ways.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I see Hirose as a career 3rd line player on a decent team. Svech and Berg both have higher ceilings. Next 5 in my mind are Berg, Svech, Larsson, Lindstrom, Hirose.
Hirose is useless without a scoring winger on the other side. Right now I see him as a second line winger on low end teams that gets protected minutes in close games. His upside is that if he gets stronger and plays better defensively he can be a legit 2nd line winger.

He's not really a third line winger unless that team is stacked. Would be better to trade him than demote him to that role because he would have more value to a lesser team. (Right now we are the lesser team.)

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Berggren for me. Was very high on him when he was drafted. Think he'll have a big bounce back year after the injury.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Larsson has edged just in front of Svechnikov for me. While I am happy with what Hirose did and I hope he can continue to outkick his development, I am skeptical of him over Svech. I have him behind at least Berggren as well off the top of my head.

My add is Pearson. I think he takes over the fourth line checking role from Glendening at some point.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Berggren. Feels like people are forgetting about him a bit, but his upside is pretty impressive. Hirose is talented, but not the player his point streak would suggest.

And I don't trust goalies until they're in the NHL. Goalie performance seems to change so much between leagues, sometimes in volatile ways.

I wouldn't say Larsson is that person. Played well in Sweden. Set records in the USHL and was one of the best players in the NCAA.that guy has devoured whatever league you put in front of him. He hasn't had a sub .925 save percentage since 15-16 for his club team.

His injuries are what worry me more than his ability. But I feel similar on him as I did Mrazek at this point. Excited to see what he does in GR.

Reactions: Winger98

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
When ever I see this list my mind always thinks Taro Tsujimoto

upload_2019-7-16_18-14-51.png

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
This is extremely difficult for me.

Hirose seems to be the best player right now, but I tend to vote on what I project the player to be.
Svech and Berggren would both be higher on my list than Hirose but injuries (especially in Svech's case) don't give me a better view. I kinda lean Svech becuase I've always liked his game but it's hard for me to do it right now.
Finally, we have a fickle position with a lot on his resume in Larsson.

I'm going to need a little more time, I can imagine this one actually being up 48 hours though, so I'm going to take it.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'm all in for Larsson this round. As TZE pointed out, all he has done is impress at every level.

He seems pretty comfortable playing over here. Last year he 1) started as a backup at DU 2) gained the starting position over Devin Cooley, who also had great numbers in a meat-grinder conference 3) put one of the weakest DU teams I've seen the past 15 years on his back and took them to the Frozen Four.

He has all the hallmarks of a goalie who can steal a pivotal win/series. If he and the other prospects we voted ahead of him pan out he'll be THE most vital cog going forward.

I know; temper expectations about goalies, Mrazek, Hammond, etc. He may well flame out but Iiiiii got a feelin' about this one.

Add Kotkansalo (remember him?)

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I wouldn't say Larsson is that person. Played well in Sweden. Set records in the USHL and was one of the best players in the NCAA.that guy has devoured whatever league you put in front of him. He hasn't had a sub .925 save percentage since 15-16 for his club team.

His injuries are what worry me more than his ability. But I feel similar on him as I did Mrazek at this point. Excited to see what he does in GR.

On the other hand, he came back from that nasty groin injury (didn't his groin literally shift like 1cm or so when it tore?) and just picked up where he left off. I don't have game logs in front of me, but he also seems less hot/cold than Mrazek (the last goalie I was really big on, too)(hell, everyone was big on him at some point, weren't they).

People shouldn't sleep on this guy just because of his position. He's putting up numbers.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Berggren has the highest upside of the remaining prospects, so I voted for him. Larsson is a complete wildcard here who I feel good about, Hirose is the safe pick, as he's going to be in the NHL for sure, but I think Berggren has a higher ceiling.

Add Kivenmaki. People are sleeping on him, he's going to make the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad