DRW: Summer 2019 Prospect Ranking #5

Who is our number 5 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I have a feeling this will be the last major victory, as we started to see a little more division in the last poll. Still, the winner won sizably. Our 4th best prospect is....

c9so_6ju0aeai5p-e1527773413831.jpg

Jared McIsaac!

So who is our 5th best prospect? Added Alec Regula.

1. Filip Zadina - 74.1%
2. Moritz Seider - 64.1%
3. Joe Veleno - 93.1%
4. Jared McIsaac -62.4%

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Have to go Berggren here, very bummed out he effectively missed most of the season last year, but I think this is a guy who has legit top 6-tweener upside.

I think Hirose is a middle six guy, Svechnikov is unlikely to reach his potential, and I can’t tell what Larsson is yet.

Add Kaski

Last edited:

Alex Thrasher

Jul 8, 2019
I'm going to go Hirose, while I think guys like Berggren, Lindstrom and Svech have higher ceilings, Hirose's floor to me is still a solid NHL player. Seemed to be the smartest guy on our team when he played last year

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Going Hirose, would have been Berggren if it wasn't for his injury. Will have to see how he's able to recover.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
its really tough to gauge a lot of these prospects. Hirose looks super promising but the sample size is small at the NHL level, Svechnikov and Berggren both have shown great potential but last year were derailed by injuries. Lots of conflicting reports on Tuomisto, Larrson is a goalie who knows what he'll do, and Lindstrom hasn't played in NA yet.

I went with Berggren but I can see the argument for many of these guys.

Reactions: mantha39

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Immediate reaction was between Berggren and Hirose. I think both players are actually cut from a similar cloth with how they get the job done, so it's really potential impact and likelihood of success. Neither Berggren's exposure to the SHL (back injury noted), nor Hirose's 10 game stint didn't really shed any light as to what their ceilings are, so I am leaning more towards likelihood of success. However, Hirose's 10 game stint did show that he's able to keep up with the pace of play in the NHL, and his brain seems to process things quicker than most first year players (and most players in Detroit already). He was decisive and the results obviously followed. I know Hirose is pretty safe to make this team out of camp, and I am relatively assured that he won't be out of place, so I have to go with Taco.

Add Kivenmaki

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just some food for thought, here are the most recent NHL stints for Hirose/Svech

Hirose
10 NHL GP - 37.7 CF%

Svechnikov
14 NHL GP - 48.6 CF%

Very small sample size... and I realize he was hurt last year... but Svechnikov is a big + skilled hockey player.

Last edited:
Reactions: mantha39

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Just some food for thought, here are the most recent NHL stints for Hirose/Svech

Hirose
10 NHL GP - 37.7 CF%

Svechnikov
14 NHL GP - 48.6 CF%

I realize he was hurt last year, but Svechnikov is a big + skilled hockey player.

he also only played 8:49 of even strength ice time a night(Hirose was playing 14:23) so presumably faced much weaker players

plus the rest of the year for both of them where Hirose had a very good year in college while Svech regressed heavily from his previous season in the AHL

throw in the very serious amount of time missed via injury as well and Svech isn't in my top 10

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
he also only played 8:49 of even strength ice time a night(Hirose was playing 14:23) so presumably faced much weaker players

plus the rest of the year for both of them where Hirose had a very good year in college while Svech regressed heavily from his previous season in the AHL

throw in the very serious amount of time missed via injury as well and Svech isn't in my top 10

I had the TOI backwards between his first and second NHL stint, thanks for pointing that out. I had thought it was similar ATOI, but that was the year prior.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
ended up voting for Larsson,came into the thread intending to vote for Hirose but the more I think about it the more uncomfortable I became with how much that was because I just don't feel comfortable projecting goalies as opposed to being particularly high on Hirose

I think Larsson is one of the best goalie prospects in the league,I just have a really hard time determining what exactly that should mean in terms of actual rankings in a list like this

add Kaski

Reactions: Winger98

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Larsson for me. Larsson/Hirose/Svech/Berggren are in the same tier for me but Larsson is the one we need to hit his potential the most. We have wingers for the future but no goalie.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Went with Berggren, still feel like he has some of the highest upside in our pool, hopefully he can overcome the injury. Hirose was solid in in his 10 games, though I'm not sure outside his vision he has the skill set for top 6, and his advanced analytics definitely point to it being a bit of a lucky start.

Add Kivenmaki.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
I don’t get why people think Hirose is what he is. The kid just turned 23 and is gonna have professional level training at his dispense for the first time of his life. If he was drafted I think more people would be raving over him. Very high hockey IQ, let him add some bulk and maybe he can sharpen up his skills a little more. I’m really excited about him.

Add kivenmaki

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Hirose again although it's basically a toss up between a few guys for me.

Add Alfons Malmstrom.
The goal is to get as many variations of the name "Al", right?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Berggren for me, I'm a big fan of his. The injury was really disappointing but I think he has the most upside of anyone remaining. Hirose, Svech, Larsson and Lindstrom all have stood arguments here though

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Hirose again. He's been productive in his 10 games played and will likely make the team out of camp in a top 9 role, maybe even top 6.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Hirose
10 NHL GP - 37.7 CF%

Svechnikov
14 NHL GP - 48.6 CF%

Very small sample size... and I realize he was hurt last year... but Svechnikov is a big + skilled hockey player.
not voting for both of them simply because age

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad