Prospect Info: DRW Development Camp - July 6-10, 2016

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I think we normally have a separate thread for this...

Press Release & schedule:
http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=887920

Forwards:
Tyler Bertuzzi (LW) - #58, 2013
Christoffer Ehn (C) - #106, 2014
Mattias Elfström (LW) - #197, 2016
Axel Holmström (C) - #196, 2014
Adam Marsh (RW) - #200, 2015
Mike McKee (RW) - #140, 2012
Zach Nastasiuk (RW) - #48, 2013
Chase Pearson (C) - #140, 2015
David Pope (LW) - #109, 2013
Dylan Sadowy (LW) - #81, 2014 (SJS)
Givani Smith (RW) - #46, 2016
Evgeny Svechnikov (RW) - #19, 2015
Dominic Turgeon (C) - #63, 2014
Julius Vähätalo (C) - #166, 2014
Mike Borkowski (LW) - Grand Rapids Griffins
Kyle Criscuolo (C) - Grand Rapids Griffins
Alex Globke (C) - Grand Rapids Griffins
Mathew Santos (C) - Grand Rapids Griffins
Luke Kirwan (C) - Camp Invitee (OHL)
Justin Brazeau (LW) - Camp Invitee (OHL)
Jeff de Vit (LW) - Camp Invitee (WHL)
Griffen Molino (RW) - Camp Invitee (NCAA)
Chase Berger (LW) - Camp Invitee (NCAA)

Defensemen:
Dennis Cholowski (L) - #20, 2016
James de Haas (L) - #170, 2012
Joe Hicketts (L) - UFA signed
Patrick Holway (R) - #170, 2015
Filip Hronek (R) - #53, 2016
Alfons Malmström (L) - #107, 2016
Dan Renouf (L) - UFA signed
Vili Saarijärvi (R) - #73, 2015
Jordan Sambrook (R) - #137, 2016
Dylan Coghlan (R) - Camp Invitee (WHL)
Patrick McCarron (R) - Camp Invitee (NCAA)

Goaltenders:
Filip Larsson - #167, 2016
Chase Perry - #136, 2014
Joren van Pottelberghe - #110, 2015
Stephen Dhillon - Camp Invitee (OHL)
Connor Hicks - Camp Invitee (OHL)

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like the Luke Kirwan camp invite, kid was pretty highly regarded at one point.

Don't know any of the other invitees, which is too bad, thought there was some pretty good kids that went undrafted. Would have really liked to invite Stransky or Gleason.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/playerprofiler/Luke-Kirwan

A power forward that can be just dominant with his size and strength at this level. He moves very well for his size; built like a cement truck with the agility of a Toyota Corolla. He also can hit like a Mack truck, although his game doesn’t always show that aspect. Kirwan can bull his way anywhere on the ice but has to improve his consistency in effort level. Has a good set of hands, a great shot that is a real weapon and the ability to set up his teammates.- November, 2015

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Some write-ups from Brock Otten on the OHL guys:

49. Justin Brazeau - Forward - North Bay Battalion
This is a player that really caught me eye later in the season. Makes the most of his limited ice time to be a noticeable player. Finished the year with 3 goals and 3 assists in his final 11 regular season games. At 6'4, he's got great size and he shows a ton of potential as a beast in the cycle and the type of guy who could be very difficult to contain below the hash marks. His shot shows some velocity too and I definitely think there is goal scoring potential. As he makes upgrades to his skating, and strength, he could be quite the player. This is something Stan Butler mentioned to me in our conversation earlier this year too, when he said "Brazeau could be the kind of guy who surprises people in a few years." Reminds me a lot of Justin Auger, who has turned himself into a very solid prospect in the Kings organization.

Luke Kirwan - Forward - Flint Firebirds
Once thought to be a top 10 pick for this NHL draft, Kirwan's stock has taken quite the beating since his arrival into the OHL. His game just has not developed the way many people thought it would. I think a lot of that has to due with the fact that his skating and overall explosiveness is below average. While he's big and he uses his size effectively, he's not quick enough to loose pucks or explosive enough coming down the wing to be a truly effective offensive player. The skill level and hands are definitely there. He most certainly made strides in Flint with increased ice time and responsibility (compared to Windsor). But he's still a work in progress. Still lots of time for him to truly dedicate himself to improving his quickness and if he can do that, he could put himself back on the NHL radar.

Stephen Dhillon - Goaltender - Niagara IceDogs
Likely the top HM on this list (aka #51) for me. Dhillon is certainly an intriguing goaltending prospect because of his size (6'4). He's also one of the youngest players available for the draft (missing the cutoff for next year by a few days). As a back-up this year, Dhillon battled some consistency issues, but it had to be tough for the first year (sort of) netminder seeing sporadic starts. He's a bit of an unorthodox goaltender, as he plays a hybrid style, utilizing his size to keep upright until he needs to go down to take away the bottom of the goal. The technical aspects of his game are definitely raw (rebound control, movement side/side, reading his angles), but as I said, there's potential there. He'll likely be the starter in Niagara next year and I'd be surprised if an NHL team didn't use a late round pick on him come June.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2016/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2016_17.html

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Kirwan was a big name few years back, put up a lot of points at the U17 tournament alongside White and Bracco. Ever since he went to the OHL things have not been great for him.

De Wit was ranked #71 by ISS, #133 by McKeen's and #192 by Hockeyprospect.com. CSS had him at #80 among North Americans. Sounds like a potential signing, here's a short comment on him:
At 6'3 and 185 lbs., Jeff de Wit still has size to grow into. He put up just 22 points through 70 regular season games (eight ESP), and had another seven points through 17 playoff games. He was one of the younger players to play for the Rebels this season. His stock rose from the midterms, where he was initially ranked #98.

"A budding young centreman who plays down in Red Deer’s veteran-laden lineup. He’ll fill-out enough to provide coveted size down the middle and is defensively responsible, good in the faceoff circle and can skate skate, but is still improving in that area. He shoots the puck well thanks to an above average release and being a right shot at centre ice also a big asset." - Sam Cosentino, May 19, 2016
Molino led WMU in scoring in his first year (age 22) ... Berger (21) 4th for Penn State ... Coghlan ranked #110 by Hockeyprospect and #174 by ISS ... Dhillon was one (or 2?) day away from not being eligible until next year. Big kid could be a smart signing now before he has the starter role in Niagara.

Was hoping that they might get Kadeikin over this year but I guess we'll have to wait until his contact is up. Also no McNulty invited like last year so I guess that ship has sailed. Would like to see some skilled CHL guys invited as well, they definitely seem to prefer the big bottom-6 types. Tye Felhaber and Alan Lyszczarczyk are two undrafted guys who caught my eye in the OHL.

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Although Holmstrom and Turgeon will be on hand at Centre I.C.E. Arena, they won't take part in any on-ice activities. Both are injured, according to Red Wings assistant general manager, and will be in Traverse City "for treatment and assessment of rehab."

Among the notable missing from the camp roster are 2013 top draft pick Anthony Mantha, who spent 10 games with the Red Wings last season, and Robbie Russo, who had a plus-40 rating in Grand Rapids after signing as a free agent last summer out of Notre Dame, where he was a team captain.

Martin said Mantha has "outgrown" the development camp and the Red Wings are going with a younger group of players this season.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...tyler_bertuzzi_2016_d.html#incart_river_index

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Does anyone know when Ehn and Holmstrom are expected to cross the pond?
Another year in Sweden would probably be good for him especially with the injury. He's still very young, just turned 20 yesterday. In comparison Järnkrok came over for his 22 year old season, Janmark 23, Bäckman 23 and Almqvist 22.

Ehn will most likely take the full 4 years. The upcoming season will hopefully be his first as a full-time SHLer.

Aug 6, 2012
Another year in Sweden would probably be good for him especially with the injury. He's still very young, just turned 20 yesterday. In comparison Järnkrok came over for his 22 year old season, Janmark 23, Bäckman 23 and Almqvist 22.

Ehn will most likely take the full 4 years. The upcoming season will hopefully be his first as a full-time SHLer.

Hard to believe he's only 20 :laugh:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
We make fun of Kahn for having his favorites, but he usually has some really good write-ups for these. I hope to see them soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: