Drew Stafford

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
He does a good job at going straight into the dirty areas around the net, getting position on a defender, and just cleaning up the garbage, tipping stuff in, etc. Nothing too pretty. Kinda like Ladd used to do much more of. Get in front of the goalie, get your stick ready, and anticipate the puck.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He does a good job at going straight into the dirty areas around the net, getting position on a defender, and just cleaning up the garbage, tipping stuff in, etc. Nothing too pretty. Kinda like Ladd used to do much more of. Get in front of the goalie, get your stick ready, and anticipate the puck.

Agreed. Stafford is good on the cycle and IMO easy for teammates to read as his game is predictable. And easily one of the best finishers on the Jets. And to answer Puckatron's earlier question. So far this season Stafford is a positive corsi player.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Advanced numbers be damned (and I do like numbers a lot), I really enjoy Stafford and Myers on this club. Great additions.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yea I love the advanced stats but now and then I just stand back and look at it with a guy like Kane and go ok.....wait......he is 24 now so he is in his prime and his last 3 seasons he has had 41 points, 22 points, and at the halfway mark of this season he has 13 points.

That sucks

Lack of durability is the main culprit but that is a byproduct of his playing style and body type. You still pay the guy $5.25 million regardless of games played and that is the net production you are buying per season???? Not to mention he was a locker room distraction/cancer. Kid tried hard and was a nice 5v5 player and PK'er when he was healthy but big picture he has been a bit of a train wreck for almost 3 seasons now.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Yea I love the advanced stats but now and then I just stand back and look at it with a guy like Kane and go ok.....wait......he is 24 now so he is in his prime and his last 3 seasons he has had 41 points, 22 points, and at the halfway mark of this season he has 13 points.

That sucks

Lack of durability is the main culprit but that is a byproduct of his playing style and body type. You still pay the guy $5.25 million regardless of games played and that is the net production you are buying per season???? Not to mention he was a locker room distraction/cancer. Kid tried hard and was a nice 5v5 player and PK'er when he was healthy but big picture he has been a bit of a train wreck for almost 3 seasons now.

I don't know if a good locker room dynamic, and being liked, etc helps the team in the standings. But it certainly looks like Drew gets along with his teammates and that's not a bad thing. Look how chummy Wheeler was with him on his two goals. It was funny to watch!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That sucks

'12 season, 30 goals. '13 season (lockout), on pace for 29. Then all downhill. Yes there were injuries but did anything else happen/change?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
'12 season, 30 goals. '13 season (lockout), on pace for 29. Then all downhill. Yes there were injuries but did anything else happen/change?

My spit ball guess that will get shot down by the advanced stats guys :laugh:.

Possibly playing hurt more......and the massively underrated Kyle Wellwood retired after the 12-13 season. I always thought he brought the best out of Kane.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow

Possibly playing hurt more......and the massively underrated Kyle Wellwood retired after the 12-13 season. I always thought he brought the best out of Kane.

#TeamWelly

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

If he was playing hurt it didn't show. He still played his 'crash bang' style. Welly certainly was underrated. Kane also lost Burmi. They seemed to have clicked.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Advanced numbers be damned (and I do like numbers a lot), I really enjoy Stafford and Myers on this club. Great additions.

As I've always said: Stafford is a strong producer, and his production numbers have always been that of a second line option. While that may not fall under the category of "advanced numbers", it would be foolish to discount them.

Stafford is a very smart and cagey player in the offensive zone, almost the anti-Evander Kane in that he's very good at finding soft spots in the defense as opposed to frantically expending energy. My complaint with Stafford has always been that he's a bit of a trainwreck in his own end. Playing him with a strong defensive centre (Little) is ideal.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As I've always said: Stafford is a strong producer, and his production numbers have always been that of a second line option. While that may not fall under the category of "advanced numbers", it would be foolish to discount them.

Stafford is a very smart and cagey player in the offensive zone, almost the anti-Evander Kane in that he's very good at finding soft spots in the defense as opposed to frantically expending energy. My complaint with Stafford has always been that he's a bit of a trainwreck in his own end. Playing him with a strong defensive centre (Little) is ideal.

Agree, especially if he's playing his off-wing.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
in addition to the defensive issues, my problem was always his streakiness, and that was a problem in buffalo too. we've seen this even this year where he went like 14 games or something without a goal. I will say that he has been really solid the last while though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad