Drew Stafford

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Will be lining up on the second unit tonight with Scheif and MP. It has the makings for a solid line, lots of puck IQ on this line.

bazaaa*

Said in another thread he'll be a fan favorite here and re-sign. I think he'll be good for 20g+ next year. I wanted him here for a while! Thinka change of scenery will be huge for him.

Chevy said he wasn't brought here for the short term.

edit: Interview says he knows a lot of the guys on the team because of the Minni connection. Hopefully he enjoys it here and stays.

Last edited by a moderator:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Going to watch him closely in a Jets uni before I pass judgement, he is taking the place of a guy with more goals and more assists who is also 3 years younger, we'll see.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I think it's a pretty nice addition for us. We have the rest of the season to evaluate him and see if he's a good fit, if not his contract expires and that'll be that. in the end it's up to him to resign, hopefully Winnipeg is an attractive enough option for him.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Even if he produces at around a .5 ppg pace I think that would be pretty decent for us in a third line RW role.

Plus I think he can actually do better than that here.

Essentially Frolik (as he scores about .5 ppg as well) can be a better defensive RW and Stafford can be a better offensive RW (hopefully).

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Going to watch him closely in a Jets uni before I pass judgement, he is taking the place of a guy with more goals and more assists who is also 3 years younger, we'll see.

If we're expecting him to replace Kane's production I think that's just setting him up for failure.

There's a reason Stafford was traded along with so many other pieces for Kane (assuming Bogosian and Myers is basically a wash).

I think we can expect him to be a decent 3rd line scorer for us, which I think he will be.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
If we're expecting him to replace Kane's production I think that's just setting him up for failure.

There's a reason Stafford was traded along with so many other pieces for Kane (assuming Bogosian and Myers is basically a wash).

I think we can expect him to be a decent 3rd line scorer for us, which I think he will be.

I was actually alluding to Stafford taking Frolik's spot on the 2nd line.

Not many can touch what Kane brought to the Jets and sure as heck not a 20 goal scoring, 30 year old forward.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I was actually alluding to Stafford taking Frolik's spot on the 2nd line.

Not many can touch what Kane brought to the Jets and sure as heck not a 20 goal scoring, 30 year old forward.

Oh if that's the case I think he can match or beat Frolik's offensive production. He has historically throughout his career I believe.

I think Frolik is the better all around player though.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

I dunno about that....at least over the short term.
Kane is just over 0.6 ppg over his career but Stafford is at 0.57, despite the trials of playing on a terrible team.
Kane has one 20+ goal season out of 6; Stafford has 3 in 9 seasons, including one of >30.
Kane has almost twice the PIM/ game and, in general, has poorer on ice judgement.
Kane has contributed only 5 ES goals to the Jets this season, despite his obvious physical talents and unrealized potential.
It won't take much for Stafford to replace Kane's production over the next 26 games, IMO.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Been busy, so just had a listen to his interview and did some google-mining....
On the maturity and character scale Stafford is a winner, and will be a real positive influence in the locker room.
I am much more reassured about this team's short term future than I was 2 days ago. Long term...I was never worried at all.

jetkarma*

Been busy, so just had a listen to his interview and did some google-mining....
On the maturity and character scale Stafford is a winner, and will be a real positive influence in the locker room.
I am much more reassured about this team's short term future than I was 2 days ago. Long term...I was never worried at all.

Those are positives. Better positioned for the long term IMO , more assets , more options. Saying that I will miss Kane's game but the difference for the organizational depth and talent is way more encouraging than it was when the move occurred.

Pretty certain we'll have another trade or two this trade deadline or this summer.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
If you take a look at Stafford's production in a team sense, he's was involved in 24.7% of Buffalo's goals.

Compare that to:
Wheeler 27.5%
Buff 24.8%
Perreault 24%
Scheifele 20%
Kane 22%

That's pretty good company!

CH3NO2

Jul 9, 2011
Love how Maurice referred to Stafford as part of the "Minnesota Mafia" in his presser today. Sounds like our other Mafiosi on the team know him more than a bit. Anxious to see what he can do with us.

JCLiponfanboy*

I'd give him 3.5 in the offseason. Maybe more depending on how he plays.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
As an outsider not associated with the Sabres, I have always thought that Stafford was super underrated. He is one of the best talents on the Sabres and was their go to guy offensively. I always wanted him with the Sens to play on our 2nd line. Reminds me a bit of McArthur in a sense that he was really underrated coming out of Buffalo.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Puck support was mediocre, good at finding space on the rush, ok-ish along boards, not great but not terrible in NZ

need to see more and let him get used to the system but seems like he's what I thought he would be - complementary scorer who doesn't push play and not a great 2 way game.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Puck support was mediocre, good at finding space on the rush, ok-ish along boards, not great but not terrible in NZ

need to see more and let him get used to the system but seems like he's what I thought he would be - complementary scorer who doesn't push play and not a great 2 way game.

He wins a lot of puck battles and is very good with the puck down low below the goal line. He can also drop his shoulder and go hard to the net to create some chaos in front (he rarely scores directly on that play) He's also quite good defensively. I wouldn't expect his puck support to be that good in his first game with a new team. Give him time. He's also a pretty good penalty killer.

jggmalloy

Tobi-Wan Kenobi
Oct 30, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
jetsnation.ca
Kane is just over 0.6 ppg over his career but Stafford is at 0.57, despite the trials of playing on a terrible team.
Kane has one 20+ goal season out of 6; Stafford has 3 in 9 seasons, including one of >30.
Kane has almost twice the PIM/ game and, in general, has poorer on ice judgement.
Kane has contributed only 5 ES goals to the Jets this season, despite his obvious physical talents and unrealized potential.
It won't take much for Stafford to replace Kane's production over the next 26 games, IMO.

If you believe this, then we absolutely fleeced Buffalo. If Myers/Bogo is a wash then we traded for a guy "just as good as Kane" and got a first round draft pick plus two above average NHL prospects, one highly touted and NHL-ready.

Regarding points, Stafford has played on a playoff team, Kane has not, Buffalo was not always bad (like Atlanta/Winnipeg has been until this season). Kane is 6 years younger. Look at what Stafford did when he was Kane's age. At 20 years of age - Kane, 30 goals -- Stafford, 30 points.

Don't even get me started on who Kane was playing with over the years.

Evander Kane is the best player in this trade and it's unfortunate that he had to go. Nonetheless, both teams did well. Congrats to Chevy on finally pulling the trigger.

jggmalloy

Tobi-Wan Kenobi
Oct 30, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
jetsnation.ca

Also... Kane has "only one" 20+ goal seasons? Technically, yes...... 17 goals in 48 games and 19 in 63 are not really "non-20 goal" seasons... You pointed out Stafford's 30 goal season as if Kane didn't score 30 in his last full season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad