Speculation: Dreger on Buffalo's asking price for Myers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterbergs Beard

Red Wins fan
May 20, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Why is it that everyone seems to assume that 2015 is a sure-fire hit no matter who you pick in the draft? With all due respect, I can remember a single year that wasn't touted as 'deep' a year prior on here. I don't follow AHL and other leagues... That said, Myers is what, 24? He's a very good defenseman. He's full time NHL. Quite frankly, I think he could very well fix our powerplay because part of the problem, one of the gus on point, always has to make that extra twist which kills valuable time. We can only wish that the first rounder ends up as good as him so, why is everyone against giving up a first for a young player that addresses our need right now and is young??? I really don't get it. The mystery box syndrome?

I was going to say the exact same thing. Why take the mystery box over the boat? Just because there could be another boat inside the mystery box?

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I was going to say the exact same thing. Why take the mystery box over the boat? Just because there could be another boat inside the mystery box?

Well Mantha is a "mystery box" to...should we trade him as well? Lets just trade all these "mystery boxes" for more proven talent since they are so meaningless...

Myers could also be deemed a "mystery box" somewhat. Do we know exactly what we are getting? Level of play and development isn't always linear, players can look good for a few years then inexplicably fall off the map, do we know Myers' game won't regress?

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Well Mantha is a "mystery box" to...should we trade him as well? Lets just trade all these "mystery boxes" for more proven talent since they are so meaningless...

Myers could also be deemed a "mystery box" somewhat. Do we know exactly what we are getting? Level of play and development isn't always linear, players can look good for a few years then inexplicably fall off the map, do we know Myers' game won't regress?

I think there's a huge difference in having a prospect that looks promising and a player who's name you don't even know. I'll put it to you this way. You have two choices, you either get Tyler Myers or, you get anyone in the NHL at random. I know this example if full of holes but, it is pretty much like that. If we were talking about trading for some guy that has nothing but 4th line potential, that would be one thing. Tyler Myers isn't that, however.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I think there's a huge difference in having a prospect that looks promising and a player who's name you don't even know. I'll put it to you this way. You have two choices, you either get Tyler Myers or, you get anyone in the NHL at random. I know this example if full of holes but, it is pretty much like that. If we were talking about trading for some guy that has nothing but 4th line potential, that would be one thing. Tyler Myers isn't that, however.

So, Myers is worth it to trade Larkin? 'cause we've so many promising C's to fill the gap?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Can anyone honestly believe the deal offered to Holland was myers for kind and Larkin?

Is Larkin that good or is myers that bad?

If our pick was involved, a certain 12 to 18 overall, then its a bad trade for us as myers is not worth b2b 15thish overall picks...

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
So, Myers is worth it to trade Larkin? 'cause we've so many promising C's to fill the gap?

I would do it. However, in big part is because I really think Sheahan will fill into the role of #1 center. I honestly see alot of Datsyuk type in him in terms of playmaking and defensive awareness. He just won't have they type of highlight reel as D.

Larkin, I really have no clue. The only thing that would make me reluctant to pull the trigger is that we have a boat-load of D prospects that are right around the corner. So in that sense, the trade might be pointless. Value-wise, I wouldn't think twice!

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Can anyone honestly believe the deal offered to Holland was myers for kind and Larkin?

Is Larkin that good or is myers that bad?

If our pick was involved, a certain 12 to 18 overall, then its a bad trade for us as myers is not worth b2b 15thish overall picks...

No, which is why this thread isn't making much sense at the moment. I agree though that Myers isn't worth back to back first round picks to a team in Detroit's position.

Brandel*

id be interested in seeing the percentage of deals that get done over time after two teams are initially rumoured. not like rumoured at the deadline then happens at draft, like after a midseason or offseason consistent rumour. feel like it never happens.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Still one of the better ones. 2nd tier

Dreger is fairly good at reporting what has just happened, he has great contacts around the league. However, he seems off whenever potential deals are at play. Even there it is a moving target for a lot of guys. Bob McKenzie and Pierre McGuire reported Sheahan, Jurco and a 2nd for Jay Bo. They did it for nearly a year then woke up one morning and said it was Nyquist and Tatar somehow.

I don't think any of the guys get a real scoop is a part of this, but Dreger seems to be drowning in terms of his credibility in this department. A part of it comes from him being a second cousin to Nonis and some of the questionable rumors that have spread at what some feel are Toronto's behest. I like to think Dreger is above that, but my guess it might have impacted what some people are telling him. They still phone him when the deal is wrapped up, but it is fair to question if they are willing to talk to him before. Most teams are super secretive when it comes to that anyway, but I don't think that has helped Dreger any.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Unless Buffalo is putting a PREMIUM price on Larkin (which is always possible, but unlikely), the reported deal would easily be matched and topped by a dozen teams around the league, including the rumored Ducks.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Unless Buffalo is putting a PREMIUM price on Larkin (which is always possible, but unlikely), the reported deal would easily be matched and topped by a dozen teams around the league, including the rumored Ducks.

Buffalo fans have said that their GM may have tried trading down (or something similar) to get Larkin in one of old proposals on the trade board.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York

Very good point! I would think it's Buffola that would reject this deal on this more likely merit than Wings would

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I mean its a good thing our GM is trying to lower the asking price. He's negotiating, trying to find the best possible deal he can, not sure why that upsets some people...clearly KH and the scouting/development staff think very highly of Larkin. No need to rush this, Buffalo isn't actively trying to trade Myers...at least that's what they say.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I mean its a good thing our GM is trying to lower the asking price. He's negotiating, trying to find the best possible deal he can, not sure why that upsets some people...clearly KH and the scouting/development staff think very highly of Larkin. No need to rush this, Buffalo isn't actively trying to trade Myers...at least that's what they say.

On this post I agree with you. I do think it's ridiculous how every fan (League-wide) are clinging to their first in 15 as if it's an assmebly line of Crosby's, Webers, cream de la cream basically...

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Didn't someone say that Buffalo was high on Pulkkinen too? Trade Pookie/Sproul and a 2nd for Myers if that will get the job done. I maybe biased because I'm high on Larkin, I don't think we should trade him at all, we will regret it, especially to a team in our division.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Didn't someone say that Buffalo was high on Pulkkinen too? Trade Pookie/Sproul and a 2nd for Myers if that will get the job done. I maybe biased because I'm high on Larkin, I don't think we should trade him at all, we will regret it, especially to a team in our division.

That was the old regime, not sure what Murray thinks of him. The old regime was also extremely high on Riley Sheahan by most reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad