TSN: Dreger: Detroit won't be swapping 1st, 2nd or a quality prospect for a rental

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Detroit won't be swapping first- or second-round draft picks or a quality prospect for a rental player. As close as the Wings may seem to be to another Stanley Cup run, they're not far enough advanced in the build to throw away assets merely to improve their chances of winning a round in the playoffs.

Last year, Detroit traded a third-rounder (upgraded to a second when they secured a playoff spot), top prospect Calle Jarnkrok and Patrick Eaves to Nashville for David Legwand in an effort to make the playoffs for a 23rd straight year. It worked, but Detroit is in a different place now with no significant post-season threat. As close as the race is in the East, trading quality assets to improve this teams chances of winning a round in the playoffs may not be worth the gamble.

In the remaining days leading up to the deadline, Holland will undoubtedly stay active in discussions and is well-positioned if the asking price on sought-after defencemen like Carolina's Andrej Sekera, Edmonton's Jeff Petry and Arizona's Zbynek Michalek drops to an affordable price. In the meantime, opportunity knocks for rookie Alexey Marchenko who may turn out to be the right shot d-man Detroit has been patiently looking for.

http://www.tsn.ca/dreger-report-wings-not-impulse-buying-1.211932

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
3rd + medium prospect might get it done for petry.

i'm also assuming that if we trade for petry, he won't be just a rental. he'll be re-signed.

not a fan of signing him at 5 mil though. around 4 mil.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Holland didn't consider Legwand a rental either. We've heard this tale before.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Holland didn't consider Legwand a rental either. We've heard this tale before.
I think the original plan was to keep Legwand...but the organization saw enough to know he was just about finished as a player and decided against it. Just a hunch.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
With Kimmo Timonen on his way back, I could see Detroit taking a flyer on him. He won't cost much given he hasn't played this year but he was a legit top pairing defenseman as recently as last season.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Wings don't have a third for this year IIRC?

Wings sent a conditional 3rd to Nashville in the Legwand trade. I think that conditional became a 2nd when Detroit made the post season...but I'm not 100%.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
well this isnt shocking

wasting top picks or good prospects on average, ie depth, dmen or forwards is a terrible way to manage a franchise, its exactly how you become the TML

we're not a jeff petry away from winning a single playoff game, he wouldnt help win a single playoff game

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think that's a different situation, we're not without Datsyuk and Z right before the deadline.

He came right out and said Legwand wasn't a rental. Him being an injury replacement doesn't negate the idea they thought he'd be on the team this year.

A guy like Petry might not be a rental either, until they realize he's not worth his contract asking price, is what I'm driving at.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Holland will undoubtedly stay active in discussions and is well-positioned if the asking price on sought-after defencemen like Carolina's Andrej Sekera, Edmonton's Jeff Petry and Arizona's Zbynek Michalek drops to an affordable price

Are any of those actually better than Quincey, Ericsson or Dekeyser? Otherwise why bother? Marchenko seems to have the 3rd pair RD spot to himself for now, why give up assets unless its to improve the top 4?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Are any of those actually better than Quincey, Ericsson or Dekeyser? Otherwise why bother? Marchenko seems to have the 3rd pair RD spot to himself for now, why give up assets unless its to improve the top 4?

I think they're all better than Quincey, but I'm not a big Quincey fan. The fact he produces no offense is basically the knock against a guy who isn't overly gifted in any particular category.

Sekera is the best of the bunch by a decent margin. Hard to say how Petry will look on a competent team like Detroit. Michalek is a bit of a gamble, I think, but he's the cheapest of the bunch and shoots right.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012

Nope and since Wings are already down a pick in a deep draft there isn't a deal here to be made unless Detroit's blue line gets hit by the injury bug or the prices come down on rentals.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Wings sent a conditional 3rd to Nashville in the Legwand trade. I think that conditional became a 2nd when Detroit made the post season...but I'm not 100%.

They gave up their 2015 3rd to move up to draft Turgeon.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

In my opinion Petry and Sekera are both better than E and Q, especially at moving the puck, but I understand the argument that the difference isn't great enough to justify what we would need to give up to get them.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
In my opinion Petry and Sekera are both better than E and Q, especially at moving the puck, but I understand the argument that the difference isn't great enough to justify what we would need to give up to get them.

Petry and Sekera have a grand total of eight playoff games between them. Zero chance one of E or Q sit for those guys if they're healthy. Even Smith is like a season veteran in the post season by comparison. These guys just aren't the guys you dump assets on to improve your chances in the post season.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Petry and Sekera have a grand total of eight playoff games between them. Zero chance one of E or Q sit for those guys if they're healthy. Even Smith is like a season veteran in the post season by comparison. These guys just aren't the guys you dump assets on to improve your chances in the post season.

Like I said, they are better players. If you are worried about playoff experience, you might as well leave March and XO in the press box and play Smith and Kindl.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
On the one hand, I agree to not trade for the sake of trading, and rentals are only worth it for teams needing one final piece.

On the other, does Holland actually expect the current roster to contend in the different animal that is playoff hockey? If so, he's in for (yet another) disappointment.

It'd be nice to at least hear rumors of trades more substantial than scrubs for scrubs.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007

Yep.
I think Sekera would be #2 in our team, but he is LH.
Petry would be similar to DD but he is RH.

From what I am reading (which means nothing)
Sekera will cost 1st +
Petry will cost 2nd +

Also they are looking for
Sekera 5~6M long term
Petry 4~5M long term

If we get Sekera,
Kronwall - Ericsson
DD - Q
Sekera - Whoever that is not Kindl
I am not saying Sekera would play bottom pair. Problem is that Kronwall, Sekera and DD all play their best on left side. I would probably roll all 3 lines equally.

If we get Petry
Kronwall - Petry
DD - Q
Whoever that is not Kindl - Ericsson
This would be similar to now. Top 4 gets harder assignments and bottom pair gets sheltered minutes.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm not enjoying the idea that Quincey and DeKeyser are a locked in stone pairing. Ugh. Quincey was a band-aid signing after Holland struck out on like 6 other guys this off-season. Why is he locked into this team after half a season of modest play?

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Shiny new toys always seem sweeter at the toy store.

As mentioned Sekera is tough to fit into the depth chart because he's a lefty. He likely ends up in Smith's spot if everyone is healthy. Not worth giving up much of anything.

Petry, while a bit more interesting, slots in best at either Ericsson or Marchenko's spot, but again he's an unknown quantity in Babcock's system and has zero playoff experience. Why would KH give up assets to take such a gamble with such a small upside?

If Marchenko continues to impress, Babs can push Marchenko up to the top line and drop Ericsson to the 3rd pairing if he stumbles against top opposition. This can be done without tossing away prospects or picks for risky rental options that may or may not fit and may or may not sign with Detroit this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad