Injury Report: Drake Batherson Ankle Injury

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Chabot was given an extra last second shove into the rounded corner, it was cheap for sure.

Yes, but not as cheap as the hit on batherson because the big difference I listed. If you expect a hit or not makes a HUGE different in how dangerous it is. Like HHUUGGEE.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'm all for deterrence but you're ignoring that it doesn't exist in the NHL anymore, like AT ALL. Even when fights for this stuff do occur, they aren't done with malice. Brady is guilty of this too, he doesn't fight to hurt. 31 other teams would have reacted essentially the same way, for better or worse. There are only a handful of players that inflict fear in the NHL anymore and even they got the memo that fighting to hurt against an unwilling combatant, or seeking payback in a follow up game, isn't really the outcome these days.

So even if we have tough players, the nature of fighting now is hardly a scare tactic when fights hardly open up and the refs are in there right away.

Just because others are fighting less, doesn't mean you have to follow suit.

They actually haven't changed the rules much in terms of fighting. You aren't seeing guys getting suspended for fighting.

Linemen get in right away? They can't if it's a line brawl. Go look at the Ottawa/Montreal line brawl from a few years ago. The linesman just have to pick which fight looks more one sided and the rest have free reign to beat their opponent up.

It's not like this was a very long time ago. I watched it on my 4k 60inch tv.

We were just soft. No other way to explain it.

Reactions: aragorn and Cosmix

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Thanks for the proper context and recap rather than clickbait TSN phrasing.

I agree with Neil. Game has changed. I do kinda agree with his methods of getting back at them, but were already shorthanded in that game and I assumed we didn't want to go down by more players and jeopardize the game. Then we were up by so much I don't think the guys were thinking about it much. The game ended up being so uncompetitive which killed everyone's temper I think. Hard to justify a heat of the moment revenge move when everyone is going through the motions in a blowout.

Only a few years ago, a blowout was the perfect recipe for the fireworks to go.

Crazy how these athletes didn't get emotional and pissed off that A) their teammate is done for the year (Ottawa) or b) they are playing trash hockey (buffalo)

What happened to the emotion of hating losing and getting embarrassed and also hating seeing your teammate get cheaply injured?

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Only a few years ago, a blowout was the perfect recipe for the fireworks to go.

Crazy how these athletes didn't get emotional and pissed off that A) their teammate is done for the year (Ottawa) or b) they are playing trash hockey (buffalo)

What happened to the emotion of hating losing and getting embarrassed and also hating seeing your teammate get cheaply injured?

I think a big part of it is no fans in the stands.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Lmao just saw that Matt Duchene said he thinks if that happened to them, one of their guys would have went after him.

Methot said one of the guys shoulda just taken one for the team.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Lmao just saw that Matt Duchene said he thinks if that happened to them, one of their guys would have went after him.

Methot said one of the guys shoulda just taken one for the team.
it was a poor response

dont think they will have the same response next time

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
If he did that his high ankle sprain was not as bad as it could have been. Great news that he might be 100% for the start of next season.

It sucks watching the Sens without Bath and Norris. The team is playing hard but the lack of skill is obvious. That being said, the bolded should 10000% be the focus for the Sens treatment of Batherson and Norris.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It sucks watching the Sens without Bath and Norris. The team is playing hard but the lack of skill is obvious. That being said, the bolded should 10000% be the focus for the Sens treatment of Batherson and Norris.
With Batherson’s ankle it will be pretty safe to bring him back without further injury risk. Shoulder injuries are scary, it’s really easy to think you are ready and then BOOM, it’s re-injured on a nothing play. All 3 of Norris, Pinto and White should be brought back well after medically cleared.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, he was asked about it on coming in hot today and mentioned his dorsiflexion on that ankle still isn't as good as on his other ankle, nowhere near even now where his words, and mentioned any time anything hits it, it swells up, took a shot off it and it blew up for two weeks

Absolutely wild...

Talked about how Jacques helped his game too, good over interview

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
So, he was asked about it on coming in hot today and mentioned his dorsiflexion on that ankle still isn't as good as on his other ankle, nowhere near even now where his words, and mentioned any time anything hits it, it swells up, took a shot off it and it blew up for two weeks

Absolutely wild...

I'm not surprised, his style of play has been very different post-injury. He's just playing smarter now instead of harder.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I'm not surprised, his style of play has been very different post-injury. He's just playing smarter now instead of harder.
I'd argue that he's just now starting to play smarter. Not necessarily smarter than pre-injury but he has learned how to thrive within his new "limitations".

Reactions: DrEasy

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

Absolutely wild...

To me Batherson was the guy whose game changed the most under JM. Far better decisions with and without the puck.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Bath still strikes me as a guy who could absolutely explode one day and put up an insane amount of points.

He has the brains, the shot and the vision to be an offensive superstar if it ever completely clicks.
Agreed. After seeing him under Jacques, I lean towards thinking he gets there.

Reactions: bert

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Bath still strikes me as a guy who could absolutely explode one day and put up an insane amount of points.

He has the brains, the shot and the vision to be an offensive superstar if it ever completely clicks.

He said in the podcast he still has another gear.

Hopefully he continues to rehab that ankle and get it close to as normal as possible

Reactions: bert and Ice-Tray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad