Draisaitl (8 years/$8.5 mil per) vs. Pastrnak (6 years/$6.667 mil per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Draisatl was better than McDavid in the playoffs, if he brings that the Oilers will be cup winners in the near future, maybe multiple times that's worth the overpayment for the 2nd best player on the team.

Draisaitl scored more points than McDavid, but he wasn't the better player. He benefited from a high sh% and much easier matchups.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I do agree paying for UFA years does come at a premium, but 1.833 mill a year for those two years?! DAMN.

1.833 for two more years, a better player, and a more valuable position. It's not just for the extra term. Pasta probably comes in at 7.5 for 8 years, and Drai gets an extra million for being a center, and the better player.

Draisaitl scored more points than McDavid, but he wasn't the better player. He benefited from a high sh% and much easier matchups.

No. He was better. Draisaitl had a flat out dominant performance in the playoffs

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
1.833 for two more years, a better player, and a more valuable position. It's not just for the extra term. Pasta probably comes in at 7.5 for 8 years, and Drai gets an extra million for being a center, and the better player.

No. He was better. Draisaitl had a flat out dominant performance in the playoffs

Draisaitl was shooting at 27% in the playoffs. Wouldn't bank on that happening too often again.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
you take the better player 10 times out of 10 no questions asked

i'll be honest, i don't know enough about the 2 of them to say with confidence which is better.

But for anyone voting Pastrnak who thinks Drai is the better player but is voting based on salary - make sure to never try to pursue any career in hockey. I promise you won't get far.

You don't always take the better player no questions asked in a salary cap league. Contracts are important. The only question regarding a better player is how much more is he worth.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I wonder how many points he'd have had he been shadowed by Kesler's line?

But I guess you think a 27% shooting percentage is sustainable?

Even if you cut that in half (which is less than what he normally shoots), he'd still be PPG, so I don't really care if it's sustainable or not

take out the first 4 games against SJ where he was sick with the flu and he's has 16 points in 9 games...

you can't just "take out games" to fit an argument :laugh:

Exactly. That was like people arguing Gagner had 30 points in 12/13 because his 8 point night shouldn't count

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Even if you cut that in half (which is less than what he normally shoots), he'd still be PPG, so I don't really care if it's sustainable or not

He had a great playoff, no doubt. But just because he scored more points didn't mean he was better than McDavid. He faced way easier matchups and had fantastic puck luck.

I voted for Draisaitl in this poll, BTW.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He had a great playoff, no doubt. But just because he scored more points didn't mean he was better than McDavid. He faced way easier matchups and had fantastic puck luck.

I voted for Draisaitl in this poll, BTW.

I'm not even going off points (to be honest, I can't even remember Connor's point totals). When Drai is on, he's one of the hardest players to contain because he's got a huge frame and knows how to use it. We can certainly speculate about what would happen if Drai and Connor had their opposition flipped, but Drai was more impressive in the time they were given

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I'd take pastrnak and the nearly 2 million extra cap per year

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
Pastrnak career high in points before last year was what, 26? But people saying "overpaid for Draisaitl after 1 good year"
If anyone has anything to prove, it's Pasta

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I'd take pastrnak and the nearly 2 million extra cap per year

A 27 year old player has a lot more leverage than a 29 year old player come next contract time.

In 8 yr deals you pay more now to save later. In 6 yr deals you pay less now and more later.

The difference in deals is only 1.8 mil. The difference in size, position, and length of deal makes up for that.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
You mean an extra 1.83M per year for the next 6 years.

Then in 7y, Pasta gets an extension. It's either for less or more than 8.5M.

If that's for less, those"but...but...but... 6y vs 8y!" comments will look even more foolish.

If it's for more, Draisaitl, who is the better player (right?) will then sign for even more 2y later after his 68M/8y deal ends.

Which means that, for the next decade+, Draisaitl will either always have a higher Cap hit than Pasta or have a lower Cap hit for a whole 2y.

Great job Don. :handclap:

Drai should have a higher cap hit every year. He is a better player playing a more important position.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
You don't always take the better player no questions asked in a salary cap league. Contracts are important. The only question regarding a better player is how much more is he worth.

True. But you take the better player if the difference in cap is only a couple million. That is one bad contract bought out or dumped.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
can help you out on this was Oil fans, have to go witt Pastrnak .

to me a 8.5 million dollar player is a player that have been elite for at least 4 seasons or more.

42 of his points came a long side McDavid, now i'm not saying he is nothing without McDavid, but still.

give me the guy makes6.66666 million

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I chose not to vote because I'm an Oiler fan, but how could you honestly pick the winger over the power forward center?

Drai would be the 1C on a lot of teams out there, particularly once he enters his physical prime. He is the guy you win cups with.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
can help you out on this was Oil fans, have to go witt Pastrnak .

to me a 8.5 million dollar player is a player that have been elite for at least 4 seasons or more.

42 of his points came a long side McDavid, now i'm not saying he is nothing without McDavid, but still.

give me the guy makes6.66666 million

Pasta played on the same line as Brad Marchand...not exactly a scrub :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad