Draisaitl (8 years/$8.5 mil per) vs. Pastrnak (6 years/$6.667 mil per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
OK so you say Draisaitl is over paid, yet you are arguing that his contract is better than Pastrnak's. So, by this logic are you saying that Pastrnak is overpaid worse than Draisaitl???

I'm not arguing that at all
I'm saying I'd rather have Drai and his contract...even slightly overpaid...then Pasta...for the reasons I mentioned (length, versatility)

This poll is about what of the following is better: Pastrnak with his new contract and Draisaitl with his new contract. Salary protection via signing bonuses IS part of the contract and having $7m protection is a worse contract for a team than having $1-$2m, is it not???

no cause it doesn't affect the cap at all...getting all the money at once or spreading it out doesn't mean anything to the cap
so who cares if Draisaitl gets all his money via signing bonus?

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
To answer the poll in the literal sense, Pastrnak. Considering the contract and their contributions thus far, the two are eerily similar. Their point production per game is pretty much identical. Drai has the edge in playoff games but also has a larger sample size. In terms of just points production, Pasta, considering his contract. The remaining roughly 4 million between them could mean you can replace the difference in salary with roughly another 15-20 goal 50-60 point scorer for the same money which would make it easier to decide. I don't think, even adjusted for position, Drai would be able to make up the difference in offensive output even moreso given that Pasta's value is more definable in goal production vs Drai's assist totals and/or intrinsic value as a centerman.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Draisailt is going to pick up exactly where he left off last year. Goal and Assist last night at Center in presason. No McDavid for those that like that narrative. Good luck with that one. This guy is going to be a steal at 8.5 x 8.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
edit: Drais overpaid by about a mill, but I will still take him. Has too much chemistry with McDavid for me to consider the contract too much.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It is preseason, and $8.5 will never be defined as a steal.

It all depends on how Draisaitl does in the future. I am pretty confident he will earn the 8.5M salary, and when salaries escalate in years to come. 8.5 will be a drop in the bucket if Draisaitl continues his ascendency as a player. At this point I don't see a reason why he would not.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
pasta. draisatl is a good young player but hes getting overrated by oiler fans. hes not getting totally "carried" but he certainly is getting a boost on McDavids wing. last i checked his scoring pace while not on mcdavids wing was closer to the low 60s. solid player but not 8.5m solid. not yet. he owes his buddy Connor some $$$$.

i think pasta has been the better player so far, AND he's on a better contract so easy decision for me.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
people seem to forget he had a very good first "full" season (51 pts in 72 games as a full-time center...58 point pace)

this isn't a one-year wonder

nope. solid player. paid like an elite one though and he hasn't even shown he can carry his own line

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Draisaitl is going to make a lot of people who are making the mistake of doubting him eat their words this season.

Looks like he's picking up right where he left off in the playoffs against Anaheim.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Draisaitl is going to make a lot of people who are making the mistake of doubting him eat their words this season.

Looks like he's picking up right where he left off in the playoffs against Anaheim.

well, to do that, he will have to get off of McD's wing. is he gonna do that this year?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
So far this preseason the answer is yes. Hasn't spent any time with McDavid other than on the powerplay

well then i guess we will see this year. if he can put up 75+ points, without a far higher than normal amount coming from the PP, where he will likely play with McD, then he's proven himself.

I'm skeptical he can do that to be honest. I think if he spends the year on his own, he'll put up 65ish points. maybe 70 at absolute most.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I said a month ago, Draisaitl's deal was fair with the possibility of being a steal in years to come. With Eichel signing for 10M x 8 years. Where if he waited a year probably even higher that what he signed today. 8.5M x 8 is looking a lot better right about now.

Reactions: Grant and JMcLeaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->