GDT: Draft thread Day 2 - 11AM

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
They were not alone Check out Detroit and all their 11 picks with only 1 sub 6'0.

View attachment 723766

Detroit is an Atlantic rival team closing in Leafs rear mirror and making many high picks to close the gap.

Buffalo also chasing the Leafs drafted with size in mind.

View attachment 723768

NHL is a copycat league and teams are bulking up.

If any of those giants drafted in later rounds are going to make a significant impact it won't be until like 2028.....

Of the 3 players taken in the first round., 2 are under 6 feet. The 1 player over 6 feet, Danielson, it doesn't matter who they take at 9th that person will be a great player.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Kyle Dubas and Shanahan are the worst things to happen to this organization since Harold Ballard. The situation that Dubas was handed compared to what he left for Treviling is night and day.
Shanahan vetoed Dubas from trading Niemela and Knies for Hagel and MA Fleury, he also had his puppet at the time Dave Nonis draft Nylander because that idiot would've taken Ritchie, so I don't put Shanny in the Dubas/Ballard (and JFJ) conversation

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Dubas really fuked up this team's future. 1 pick in 5 rounds. In a really solid draft year..... still amazed on how some think dubas is a good GM
He could've redeemed himself somewhat if he traded Holl and Kerfoot at the deadline for draft capital and allowing some spots to open up full time for guys like Liljegren and Holmberg/McMann/Steeves and eventually Knies, but instead he gave Keefe too many toys and Keefe couldn't find a lineup he liked until they were in the handshake line, every damn lineup you could think of different every night

Reactions: TimeZone

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Summing up the draft.

Round 1. It’s a small guy I’ve never heard of, ranked lower than our pick, so I don’t like i

Round 5. It’s an overage guy I’ve never heard of, so it’s bad.

Round 6. It’s a big guy I’ve never heard of, and don’t know anything about, but he’s big so it’s a good pick.
Sounds like you need to get out more…….lol

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If any of those giants drafted in later rounds are going to make a significant impact it won't be until like 2028.....

Of the 3 players taken in the first round., 2 are under 6 feet. The 1 player over 6 feet, Danielson, it doesn't matter who they take at 9th that person will be a great player.
The trend is definetely moving towards drafting bigger.

In the 1st round BPA is certainly still prominent and not ruled by size alone.

Add Ottawa to the Atlantic draft class Div. .. 6-2 being the smallest player the Sens drafted. In the past teams use to take flyers on smaller skilled players that fell in drafts as a result of size but now it appears less of that seems to be happening even in later rounds like Sens here without a pick in rounds 1-3.

1688086212569.png

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
He could've redeemed himself somewhat if he traded Holl and Kerfoot at the deadline for draft capital and allowing some spots to open up full time for guys like Liljegren and Holmberg/McMann/Steeves and eventually Knies, but instead he gave Keefe too many toys and Keefe couldn't find a lineup he liked until they were in the handshake line, every damn lineup you could think of different every night
You thought one of the best teams in the league was going to trade 2 regulars for futures at the deadline?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Bah, you might be right. Actually, I’m just finishing up a fishing trip with my sons up North of Timmins. It puts into perspective what matters.
Absolutely stuff like that is very important. Our son and I bought London knights season tickets this year. Fun times every Friday night.
Our daughter keeps her two horses at our place and we see her 5 times a week. Lol
they grow so fast

Reactions: Fogelhund

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Undrafted FA

Oskar Asplund — LHD, Almtuna IF, 5-foot-11 - Asplund registered 30 points in 49 games as a teenage defenceman in HockeyAllsvenskan

Gabriel Szturc — C, Kelowna Rockets, 5-foot-11 - He was the second-leading scorer on a weak Rockets team, registering 79 points in 56 games (a 96-point pace had he not missed games to be with Czechia’s national team)

Jordan Tourigny — RHD, Shawinigan Cataractes, 5-foot-11 - he posted 41 points in 67 games for a poor Shawinigan team this year. He gaps effectively, he reads the play offensively and defensively well, he’s a competitor, he uses a good stick to be disruptive defensively, and he can move pucks and steer play.

Mazden Leslie — RHD, Vancouver Giants, six feet - Despite having been a top prospect in minor hockey and now a 50-point defenceman in his draft year as the most productive defenceman on a below-average team in Vancouver, and despite having pro size, Leslie is NHL Central Scouting’s 125th-ranked North American skater, well back of his statistical contemporaries. Some of that is because his offensive game isn’t where his defensive game is and he has had to learn to play a little less as an individual. But he also played 25-plus minutes a night for most of this season against matchups he probably wasn’t ready for as a 17-year-old.

Hudson Thornton — LHD, Prince George Cougars, 5-foot-11 - He finished second among all WHL defencemen in goals (23) and fifth in points (74), both of which broke Cougars records. He has worn a letter for that team the last two years, has also penalty-killed for them for those two years, and has worked to harden his game defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad