GDT: Draft thread Day 2 - 11AM

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
Doing nothing to improve the team would be a bad strategy. Dubas did what other GM's do when a team is in contention. Is Brisbois a bad GM too? How many picks did he have this year?
Lmao he traded away 5 first rounders and all for useless players or to fix his mistakes lol.... other than O'Reilly, he absolutely brought nobody in to help lolll. First to dump mrazek, tmarleau, than traded our first to get foligno which didn't even play... lol that's trash assit management...

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Lmao he traded away 5 first rounders and all for useless players or to fix his mistakes lol.... other than O'Reilly, he absolutely brought nobody in to help lolll. First to dump mrazek, tmarleau, than traded our first to get foligno which didn't even play... lol that's trash assit management...

The Mrazek one was trading the 25th for 38th. He moved down 13 spots to get rid of 2 years of a 3.8m hit. That is a fine trade. I liked it at the time and still like that trade. I wish they did something like that again with Murray, especially when Cowan would have been around in the 50's

Marleau was a Lou signing and Foligno was just bad luck.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
The Mrazek one was trading the 25th for 38th. He moved down 13 spots to get rid of 2 years of a 3.8m hit. That is a fine trade. I liked it at the time and still like that trade. I wish they did something like that again with Murray, especially when Cowan would have been around in the 50's

Foligno trade was bad when it happened

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Any good candidates for FA invites and potential ELC's?

My camp invites would include

Undrafted prospects
Tomasso De Luca
Hannes Hellberg
Arvid Bergstrom
Ty Halaburda
Jordan Tourigny
Tomas Suchanek (G)

NCAA Prospects invites
Gabriel Seger
Ben Steeves
Marek Hejduk
Kaiden Mbereko (G)

Older CHL Guys
Kocha Delic
Ruslan Gazizov
Niks Fenenko
Spencer Sova

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada

Undrafted prospects
Tomasso De Luca
Hannes Hellberg
Arvid Bergstrom
Ty Halaburda
Jordan Tourigny
Tomas Suchanek (G)

NCAA Prospects invites
Gabriel Seger
Ben Steeves
Marek Hejduk
Kaiden Mbereko (G)

Older CHL Guys
Kocha Delic
Ruslan Gazizov
Niks Fenenko
Spencer Sova
Definitely agree with De Luca and Halaburda.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Summing up the draft.

Round 1. It’s a small guy I’ve never heard of, ranked lower than our pick, so I don’t like i

Round 5. It’s an overage guy I’ve never heard of, so it’s bad.

Round 6. It’s a big guy I’ve never heard of, and don’t know anything about, but he’s big so it’s a good pick.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Summing up the draft.

Round 1. It’s a small guy I’ve never heard of, ranked lower than our pick, so I don’t like i

Round 5. It’s an overage guy I’ve never heard of, so it’s bad.

Round 6. It’s a big guy I’ve never heard of, and don’t know anything about, but he’s big so it’s a good pick.
An apt summary :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: kb

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

Any good Dubas did with the Mrazek trade was ruined when he traded for Murray at 4.68M cap hit for 2 years and only got a 3rd and 7th for doing it.

You can compare it against his own cap dump in Marleau where he gave up the 13th overall and a 7th for a 6th.

Also, regardless of if it was Lou (whose biggest mistakes were Marleau and not signing Nylander the summer he was eligible for an extension, no argument there,) who signed Marleau, Dubas had options. In fact, the two guys he chose to keep which required him to unload Marleau, he traded the very next year in Kapanen and Johnsson. And in Johnson's case very likely got less value.

In the end it ended up being the same result with Marleau, Kapanen, and Johnsson all being gone:

--
Out: Marleau, Kapanen (Jesper Lindgren and Pontus Aberg), Johnson, 13th overall, 7th rounder

In: 15th Overall, Hallander (Evan Rodriguez and David Warsofsky), Joey Anderson, 6th rounder
--

I think most of us would agree that the best assets there are the 13th and 15th overall. The net result was basically downgrading his pick and losing two valuable depth players (at the time) for nothing else impactful.

Also, Foligno was always underwhelming, and it's not bad luck when you trade for an injured player.

Dubas was horrible with his 1st rounders.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Undrafted prospects
Tomasso De Luca
Hannes Hellberg
Arvid Bergstrom
Ty Halaburda
Jordan Tourigny
Tomas Suchanek (G)

NCAA Prospects invites
Gabriel Seger
Ben Steeves
Marek Hejduk
Kaiden Mbereko (G)

Older CHL Guys
Kocha Delic
Ruslan Gazizov
Niks Fenenko
Spencer Sova
I'd add in Mathew Ward. We invited him as an undrafted player last year and he went undrafted again. Smaller guy but doesn't play like it and I wouldn't mind bringing him in and possibly giving him a shot with our ECHL team or AHL team after he's done in the WHL. I'm assuming he'll go back for his overage year next season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Definitely the model organization we should be emulating. ;)
They were not alone Check out Detroit and all their 11 picks with only 1 sub 6'0.

1688070865700.png

Detroit is an Atlantic rival team closing in Leafs rear mirror and making many high picks to close the gap.

Buffalo also chasing the Leafs drafted with size in mind.

1688071200899.png

NHL is a copycat league and teams are bulking up.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad