Draft talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't expect them to pick anyone we like, so I'm prepared for the worst. I hope they listen to Jux and take Ikonen in the second round though. He plays a 200 foot game and is very skilled. I think the only player the Sharks probably like that we all do is Suzuki, but he won't make it to us. We want Pettersson, Vesalainen, Necas, Andersson, Liljegren etc. while the Sharks want Poehling, Bowers, Thomas, Ratcliffe, Rasmussen, Hague etc. The only real hope I have right now is that the Sharks haven't drafted North American in the 1st round since Coyle.

That's a lot of supposition. We don't know who the Sharks like. Also as much as we like to laugh about the team's love for Ottawa 67s or kids going to Massachusetts colleges, there really isn't a pattern to the team's first round selections. Working backwards and looking at 1st-rounders:

2015: Swiss/QMJHL
2014: Russian/OHL
2013: Swiss/WHL
2012: Czech/Extraliga
2010: US/NCAA-bound*
2007: Canadian/OHL and US/NCAA-bound*
2006: Canadian/WHL
2005: Canadian/WHL
2004: Czech/Extraliga
2003: Czech/Extraliga and Canadian/QMJHL

So in 14 years of drafts with 12 1st rounders we've seen:

4 Canadians playing across the CHL (2 WHL, 1 OHL, 1 QMJHL)
3 Czechs playing in the Czech leagues (Michalek, Kaspar, Hertl)
2 Americans on the NCAA track (both heading to Boston-area universities)
2 Swiss playing in the CHL (1 WHL, 1 QMJHL)
1 Russian playing in the CHL (OHL)

If there's any pattern at all, it's a preference for CHL players no matter the nationality, but the CHL does also represent the largest majority of any individual development track in terms of league-wide draft selection. And it actually usually accounts for slightly less than half of the players selected, whereas this Sharks history has them around teh 1/3rd mark. It's the later rounds where the Sharks' preference for NCAA guys seems to hit harder. There's a nationality preference for Canadians over anyone else, but again Canadians are the largest single nationality drafted in any given year. Plus that is mostly back-weighted to 03-07. There have been 9 drafts since the last time they took a Canadian in the 1st round.

But on the whole, I'm hard-pressed to say that there's a "typical Sharks" pick in terms of source league or nationality. If anything the Sharks have shown a fairly strong prediliction for doing whatever they damn well please and not pigeon-holing themselves into a narrow spectrum of leagues or nationalities.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Isn't our 2nd round drafting even worse?

Since 03:

Sucessful 2nd rounders: 4 (Tierney, Nieto, McGinn, Vlasic, Carle)

Failed 2nd rounders: 4 (Boudreau, Wrenn, Doherty, Hennessy)

in-progress/TBA: 3 (Gambrell, Roy, Bergman)

So counting guys you can actively evaluate, the Sharks are about 50/50 for 2nd round picks becoming regular NHLers. That's pretty solid. Hennessy also got 23 underwhelming games, so he's slightly less of a bust than the other 3 who have a big, fat goose-egg for NHL GP)

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
That's a lot of supposition. We don't know who the Sharks like. Also as much as we like to laugh about the team's love for Ottawa 67s or kids going to Massachusetts colleges, there really isn't a pattern to the team's first round selections. Working backwards and looking at 1st-rounders:

2015: Swiss/QMJHL
2014: Russian/OHL
2013: Swiss/WHL
2012: Czech/Extraliga
2010: US/NCAA-bound*
2007: Canadian/OHL and US/NCAA-bound*
2006: Canadian/WHL
2005: Canadian/WHL
2004: Czech/Extraliga
2003: Czech/Extraliga and Canadian/QMJHL

So in 14 years of drafts with 12 1st rounders we've seen:

4 Canadians playing across the CHL (2 WHL, 1 OHL, 1 QMJHL)
3 Czechs playing in the Czech leagues (Michalek, Kaspar, Hertl)
2 Americans on the NCAA track (both heading to Boston-area universities)
2 Swiss playing in the CHL (1 WHL, 1 QMJHL)
1 Russian playing in the CHL (OHL)

If there's any pattern at all, it's a preference for CHL players no matter the nationality, but the CHL does also represent the largest majority of any individual development track in terms of league-wide draft selection. And it actually usually accounts for slightly less than half of the players selected, whereas this Sharks history has them around teh 1/3rd mark. It's the later rounds where the Sharks' preference for NCAA guys seems to hit harder. There's a nationality preference for Canadians over anyone else, but again Canadians are the largest single nationality drafted in any given year. Plus that is mostly back-weighted to 03-07. There have been 9 drafts since the last time they took a Canadian in the 1st round.

But on the whole, I'm hard-pressed to say that there's a "typical Sharks" pick in terms of source league or nationality. If anything the Sharks have shown a fairly strong prediliction for doing whatever they damn well please and not pigeon-holing themselves into a narrow spectrum of leagues or nationalities.

Good analysis, the secret point of my post was to try to temper my expectations and hopefully jinx the Sharks into picking someone I would actually like them to take.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
What are people's thoughts on these guys for the 2nd round?
Anderson-Dolan, Mismash, Phillips, Strome, Heponiemi, Robertson, Jokiharju, Safin,

knu

Feb 28, 2012
Fremont CA
I have this feeling nothing of note is going to happen. I would love to be wrong though.

Patty + Tierney+ for NJs 1st Lets do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad