Speculation: Draft Talk, 2018: Picks 1, 32, 94, 117, 125, 156, 187

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
It was mentioned on the TSN feed during the Sabres/Flames game this week that, to paraphrase “rumour has it is that there are 2 teams in the NHL who have an internal list for for this coming draft with Tkachuk at 2nd oveall, and one of those teams is Buffalo”

If true. What are your thoughts guys?

Personally, I wouod love Tkachuk at 2 based on what I’ve seen of him. But truth be told I haven’t seen much of Zadina or Svetch to know if a Tkachuk at 2 move would burn us in hindsight

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
It was mentioned on the TSN feed during the Sabres/Flames game this week that, to paraphrase “rumour has it is that there are 2 teams in the NHL who have an internal list for for this coming draft with Tkachuk at 2nd oveall, and one of those teams is Buffalo”

Personally, I wouod love Tkachuk at 2 based on what I’ve seen of him. But truth be told I haven’t seen much of Zadina or Svetch to know if a Tkachuk at 2 move would burn us in hindsight

Missing out on dahlin would be heart breaking after the year we endured...again.

That being said either svech or brady would be amazing adds. I wouldn't be upset with either pick. Both bring very different styles however. In a very dramatic comparison would you prefer jamie benn or patrick laine? Doubtful either become that good but the skillsets would be similar on a lower end.

There is also the option of taking several dmen at that spot and imo taking a lower end player with more question versus filling an organizational need.

My viewings of zadina are far more limited than svech or brady so I tend to write him off as an option. I' sure others here could provide more insight to his potential than I can so I'll step out now...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

From what I've seen of Svech, Zadina, and even Hughes, there are people who I would take at 2 and they aren't Brady Tkachuk. *shrug* Said it above, since I wouldn't do it, that probably salts him in as the Sabres pick there. :biglaugh:

Reactions: Vito_81

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
No Tkachuk for me. We need a defence man or a goal scorer. There will players who fit both our need and who are worthy of our pick.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
This makes no sense whatsoever.
I am postulating that the skills Tkachuk brings to the game are not of high enough order to compete with the good Dmen and skilled snipers who will be available when we pick. In other words there will be players available who are both better and who also fit into positions of greater need. Thought that was clear but am always open to clarifying anything I said. Unless you are just saying my opinion is wrong.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Only a few short weeks ago I would've walked away content with the thought of taking Tkachuk at #2. Fast forward to mid-March and I can't see how anyone would pass on Svechnikov at #2. He just does too many things at too high a level. If this were a Dahlin-less draft, I think the hype machine would be cranked up to 11.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I almost wonder if some teams might have Wahlstrom right there with that second group of forwards.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I almost wonder if some teams might have Wahlstrom right there with that second group of forwards.

From reading, yeah, it seems he's the big riser too. And with his physical abilities, he could be in the conversation for a guy who turns pro early, even if that foregoes his NCAA commitment.

Reactions: Mittelstadt

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
No Tkachuk for me. We need a defence man or a goal scorer. There will players who fit both our need and who are worthy of our pick.

We need everything. We need everything a Dahlin brings. We need everything a Hughes brings. We need what Zadina brings. We need what Svech brings. We need what Tkachuk brings. Quite honestly, no matter the pick, we're going to potentially fill a need on this team, but we're still going to have needs not yet fulfilled. We should focus on getting better. And this is coming from someone who is all about addressing positions. We just have too many places in the organization we need to fill. We need talent. Everyone in the top 5 has talent.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
We need everything. We need everything a Dahlin brings. We need everything a Hughes brings. We need what Zadina brings. We need what Svech brings. We need what Tkachuk brings. Quite honestly, no matter the pick, we're going to potentially fill a need on this team, but we're still going to have needs not yet fulfilled. We should focus on getting better. And this is coming from someone who is all about addressing positions. We just have too many places in the organization we need to fill. We need talent. Everyone in the top 5 has talent.

Brady sticks in my mind as the type to right a locker room. Obviously dahlin is top choice. And obviously we need defense. Obviously we need more scoring. There are great options in all of those areas this draft and with our position.

The elephant in the room is that the team lacks drive, desire, and physicality night in and out. Brady is the only top end talent that to me addresses that.

I'm curious to see what his style and intensity could bring to this group. he' no slouch either...he can score...that being said do you pass on svech who WILL score more? Do you pass on decent dman prospects which wr desperately need for brady who I think is maybe a 25-35 type nhler with "intangiblez". ???

We can't afford to swing and miss here...not sure what the right answer is.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
If it is not Dahlin then I am taking Boqvist or Hughes 2AO and wouldn't think twice about it.

EDIT: I am not for it but if it was possible to trade down to 5th or 6th and still get one of them I would be all for it

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
You can put Boqvist in there too IMO. I think he is almost as good as Dahlin offensively.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Brady sticks in my mind as the type to right a locker room. Obviously dahlin is top choice. And obviously we need defense. Obviously we need more scoring. There are great options in all of those areas this draft and with our position.

The elephant in the room is that the team lacks drive, desire, and physicality night in and out. Brady is the only top end talent that to me addresses that.

I'm curious to see what his style and intensity could bring to this group. he' no slouch either...he can score...that being said do you pass on svech who WILL score more? Do you pass on decent dman prospects which wr desperately need for brady who I think is maybe a 25-35 type nhler with "intangiblez". ???

We can't afford to swing and miss here...not sure what the right answer is.

I'm not sure if Brady is the guy you think he is. He will shift disturb and play a physical game, but I don't see a guy who is 100% motor in his BU games. He's a very interesting combination of talents, skills, and habits but just because he'll hit people in the U-20's and play a wall game in the NCAA's doesn't mean he's going to address drive issues in others.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I'm not sure if Brady is the guy you think he is. He will shift disturb and play a physical game, but I don't see a guy who is 100% motor in his BU games. He's a very interesting combination of talents, skills, and habits but just because he'll hit people in the U-20's and play a wall game in the NCAA's doesn't mean he's going to address drive issues in others.
Who is better Brady or Mathew?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Who is better Brady or Mathew?

That's the million dollar question, isn't it? They're different players in their own ways -- Matthew is so very much an agitating presence, albeit a big one while Brady is much more of a run-over-a-guy presence. Matthew is yapping, Brady not as much. I think it might take Brady longer to unpack his collection of tools at the next level, but that's just my opinion after watching him.

Brady could be the best complimentary player in this draft. How that stacks up with Matthew's production... Matthew thinks his brother is faster and better than he is so that may be self-deprecation or reality. It'll be interesting to find out.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Wow. With 13 games left, we could end up with less than 70 points. I would've bet the farm on Buffalo cracking at least 85 at the start of the season.
Tank commander Housley at your service....this team should have had at least 85 points despite all its faults, but Phil made sure we are bottom of the pile again.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
In his last 3 years Tkachuk has scored 4, 12, (USHL) and now 8 with BU. He makes Kassian look like Patrick Laine. He has some of what we need but guys you are truly expecting him to become something he has not shown that he is. You want big rambunctious winger-ok. You want him to be Zach Hyman then I get it. But in the top 5. We will have to agree to disagree.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Tank commander Housley at your service....this team should have had at least 85 points despite all its faults, but Phil made sure we are bottom of the pile again.

Hiring a guy who is a rookie head coach professionally after having a "veteran" head coach that was incompetent is pretty much what we are seeing this year.

It was pretty much the same team we had last year with an improvement with Scandella with guys

Bylsma ---> Housley
Ennis ----> Wilson???
Foligno -----> Pouilot
Gionta ------> Pominville
Franson ------> Beaulieu
Kulikov -------> Scandella
Nilsson ------> Johnson
COR -------> Joseffson
Deslauirers -----> Nolan

Outside the acquisition of Scandella we didn't improve much, if at all, in the overall level of talent. With the lack of talent depth changes, the rookie head coaching growing pains, and the questionable ability of those already on the team, at BEST you were most likely going to get similar results from last year.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
In his last 3 years Tkachuk has scored 4, 12, (USHL) and now 8 with BU. He makes Kassian look like Patrick Laine. He has some of what we need but guys you are truly expecting him to become something he has not shown that he is. You want big rambunctious winger-ok. You want him to be Zach Hyman then I get it. But in the top 5. We will have to agree to disagree.

I legit had no idea his production has been that poor, i had assumed he tore up the league in his previous seasons..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad