Speculation: Draft Talk, 2018: Picks 1, 32, 94, 117, 125, 156, 187

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I doubt he ends up in Buffalo, but I’m super intrigued to see what kinda of scorer he becomes in the NHL. Is he going to have a Boeser/Laine type of scoring ability?

Well in my franchise mode he became a very good two way winger. Think Hossa lite with a cannon for a slap shot.

So not quite as much a sniper, but tenacious off the puck.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Went to the USA NTDP U18 game against Madison tonight. The U18's destroyed them 10 - 3. Jack Hughes will be #1 in 2019. He's pure magic and he's up from the U17's and killing it a league up. There was a 4 on 4 with Hughes and Wahlstrom were out together and just playing with Madison.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Rank your top 5 forwards, and top 5 D on separate lists. I wanna see who people like without the positional bias.

Defence

1 - Dahlin
2 - Hughes
3 - Bouchard
4 - Boqvist
5 - Dobson

Forward

1 - Svechnikov
2a - Tkackuk
2b - Zadina
3 - Wahlstrom
5 - Noel

I am guessing everyone is going to have those 5 D and top 3 forwards in their list, top 8 is definitely the place to be.

Last edited:

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Forwards
1. Svechnikov

2. Zadina
3. Tkachuk

4. Wahlstrom
5. Veleno
6. Kupari

Defense
1. Dahlin

2. Boqvist
3. Hughes
4. Bouchard

5. Dobson
6. Merkley

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
D:
Dahlin
Bouchard
Hughes
Dobson
Merkley (yeah, I know...)

F:
Svechnikov
Zadina
Wahlstrom
Tkachuk
Farabee

I don't like ranking players I haven't seen much (or at all), so I need more Boqvist viewings (I keep saying this) before offering an opinion. Dobson is growing on me, but clearly I have yet to see him at his best based on some reviews. I really LOVE the continued improvement of Wahlstrom, and Farabee is my outlier. You could probably flip Bouchard & Hughes. This will all probably change tomorrow!

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Forwards:
Bouchard
Forwards:
Svech
Tkachuk
Zadina
Wahlstrom
Farabee

Defensemen:
Dahlin
Boqvist
Hughes
Dobson
Smith

Overall:
Dahlin
Svech
Boqvist
Tkachuk
Hughes
Dobson
Zadina
Smith
Wahlstrom
Farabee

Drafting anywhere in the top 6 works for me

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Fairly or not Ty Smiths Top Prospects Game completely turned me off him.

Understandable. I do wonder how the U-20s impacted people's opinions of Hughes. He's such a dominant player against bigger/stronger NCAA competition even with broader usage.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Understandable. I do wonder how the U-20s impacted people's opinions of Hughes. He's such a dominant player against bigger/stronger NCAA competition even with broader usage.
That's all I've seen of Hughes and admittedly as a result I'm not too thrilled about the idea of drafting him... so yeah

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Not to diminish Svech’s performance, but did the chart intentionally include two “draft years” of McDavid to lower his numbers and make Svech seem that much more impressive? McDavid was 2.55 points per game in his draft year.

This isn’t PPG

Reactions: Chainshot

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
At the London Knights - Sarnia Sting game in London. Bouchard is a beast and plays a ton. The Knights are BAD now though.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Not to diminish Svech’s performance, but did the chart intentionally include two “draft years” of McDavid to lower his numbers and make Svech seem that much more impressive? McDavid was 2.55 points per game in his draft year.
I think it's a typo. McDavid did not play in the OHL in 15-16.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Evan Bouchard, Brady Tkachuk and Quinn Hughes are all nearly one full year older then Adam Boqvist. I wonder how much that will impact scouts opinions.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Evan Bouchard, Brady Tkachuk and Quinn Hughes are all nearly one full year older then Adam Boqvist. I wonder how much that will impact scouts opinions.

Vilardi was almost a year younger than everyone else last year and actually ended up falling a lot on draft day. So it probably doesn’t make all that much of a difference

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Vilardi was almost a year younger than everyone else last year and actually ended up falling a lot on draft day. So it probably doesn’t make all that much of a difference

Vilardi fell because of questions about his skating. That will often make a prospect fall nowadays.

Boqvist being almost a year younger will absolutely be considered when projecting him as a player.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Forwards:
Svech
Tkachuk
Zadina
Wahlstrom
Farabee

Defensemen:
Dahlin
Boqvist
Hughes
Dobson
Smith

Overall:
Dahlin
Svech
Boqvist
Tkachuk
Hughes
Dobson
Zadina
Smith
Wahlstrom
Farabee

Drafting anywhere in the top 6 works for me

I agree that 2-5 is still a win. I would love to get Boqvist(Given Dahlin is gone) but is still 2 years away from the NHL.

Dahlin

Boqvist
Svech
Tkackuk
Zadina

Seems to be the consensus right now and getting a top 5 pick gets you a top tier player.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I haven't followed this draft class that much...

But it seems that with our current position, and the way the season is going, we're likely drafting around top-5. We can count the 1st overall out for variety of reasons.

So let's say we draft 2-5 position. At this point it seems there are 3-5 forwards (Svech, Zadina, Tkachuk and possibly Wahlstrom/Farabee?) there and probably 1-4 defensemen (Boqvist and possible Hughes/Dobson/Bouchard)? So it seems that we're likely drafting a forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad