Draft simulator/mock draft

Oct 15, 2008
Ran a draft simulator and we end up with 19th overall.

Who should we take?

Keep in mind 18 players have been picked already.

1. Florida(2)- Nathan Mackinnon
2. Calgary(3)- Seth Jones
3. Ottawa(2)- Aleksander Barkov
4. Pittsburgh(1)- Jonathan Drouin
5. Columbus(3)- Sean Monahan
6. NY Islanders(2)- Curtis Lazar
7. Toronto(3)- Hunter Shinkaruk
8. Anaheim(2)- Elias Lindholm
9. Los Angeles(1)- Rasmus Ristolainen
10. Philadelphia(1)- Darnell Nurse
11. Dallas(3)- Andre Burakowsky
12. Boston(1)- Valery Nichushkin
13. New Jersey(1)- Artturi Lehkonen
14. Carolina(3)- Jason Dickenson
15. Tampa Bay(2)- Ryan Pulock
16. Chicago(1)- Steve Santini
17. Washington(1)- Robert Hagg
18. Winnipeg(3)- Adam Erne
19. Edmonton(1)?
20. Minnesota(3)
21. Colorado(2)
22. Montreal(1)
23. St. Louis(1)
24. Detroit(1)
25. Phoenix(1)
26. San Jose(1)
27. Buffalo(1)
28. NY Rangers(1)
29. Vancouver(1)
30. Nashville(1)

Number of balls per team in parenthesis. For a more detailed explanation check out the link here.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think it comes down to Zadorov or Kujawinski for me.

6'5'' 230lbs, mean, mobile Russian D who's more defensively minded, but isn't without skill or the 6'2'' 205lb, fast, skilled two-way center who reminded me a lot of Rick Nash when I saw him play.

I'd probably go with Kujawinski. I think he has more potential and could be a perfect #2C down the road.

Oct 15, 2008
Lots of good choices still at #19.

What about a big skilled forward like Anthony Mantha or Frederik Gauthier?

Gauthier could be the answer to our #2C.

Ive seen Mantha play and was impressed. Not seen much or hardly any of Gauthier though.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I picked Zadorov. It was either him or Morrisey for me. Hopefully we're in a better position to get a center.

Baggie

Aug 19, 2011
Zadorov or Gauthier. Voted Gauthier because, although difficult to predict, I think he'd be an oilers roster player faster, providing help at 2nd or 3rd line center department.

I believe there will be atleast a 48 game season, predicting (and hoping for later pick/better performance) we'll draft in range of ~10th overall. At that range I believe one of (not in order) Pulock, Nurse, Ristolainen, Lazar will be available - would be equally happy with any of those.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I went with Josh Morrisey. I think he fills a need on the back end although Zadorov was tempting.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
I went with Josh Morrisey. I think he fills a need on the back end although Zadorov was tempting.

Yeah I like Morrisey in that spot. Though I would be hoping for Nurse to drop to us in ideal world. We haven't had a player like Darnell in ages on the Oilers. If not Nurse than I would hope Dickenson falls to us.

Haven't watched the Q so can't comment on those players. Have read good things about Mantha...

Oct 15, 2008
How does the draft work if this season is lost?

There is a ping pong ball lottery. Teams start out with three balls each and lose balls for playoff appearances and/or lottery picks in the previous three seasons.

The Oilers would have one ball. I ran a simulation under those parameters and it had the draft order I included in the OP with the Oilers picking 19th.

Since the lockout could conceivably go all year, I thought this may be interesting and possibly give us something to talk about for a bit.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I'm only familiar with the top ten.. force of habit with our team. :P

Yeah more like top 3 lately. It's depressing to think that we will be drafting so high without the benefits of success. I really hope there will be some sort of shortened season. If we draft high, I want it to be because we played well.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yeah I like Morrisey in that spot. Though I would be hoping for Nurse to drop to us in ideal world. We haven't had a player like Darnell in ages on the Oilers. If not Nurse than I would hope Dickenson falls to us.

Haven't watched the Q so can't comment on those players. Have read good things about Mantha...

I like the cut of your jib. ;)

I'm a big fan of Nurse and Dickinson too.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Seth Jones and Nurse patrolling Oilers blue line would be sick. No bodies is getting through. :laugh:

Namtsua

Apr 4, 2011
BC
Do you mind posting how many lottery balls each team will have? If just seems strange that LA is in the top 10 and Pittsburgh in the top 5...

Baggie

Aug 19, 2011
Do you mind posting how many lottery balls each team will have? If just seems strange that LA is in the top 10 and Pittsburgh in the top 5...

Even if these teams had just one ball and some other teams had more, it's still random. Therefore random outcome should not be surprising, even though the above result does not even seem very unlikely.

However, some scientists are arguing whether randomness exists at all.

Oct 15, 2008

Check the op, updated in there, number of balls in parenthesis and a link to a more detailed explanation of the draft if there isnt any games played this season.

There will be no draft until a new cba is ratified.

Order of players was taken from the ISS list. I believe I altered it once so Anaheim didnt have to take another dman.

Complete ISS list can be seen here.

For simulating the draft order, I used this. You can try it yourself if you like.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I went with Gauthier. Big lanky center. A bit of project pick but someone who might step in a few years from slotting behind RNH.

I can't imagine the Oilers choosing Domi. Too many smallish forwards as it is. Hell of a talent though

McEwen

Oct 19, 2009
If NHL 13 is any indication, Nikita Zadorov has turned out for me. Four years after drafting him he turned into a number three d-man for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad