Draft Scenario

RMW

Mar 21, 2006
I have a scenario, I'd like to hear some answers from the more knowledgeable posters...

- You have the eight overall selection in the 2006 NHL entry draft
- You have a playoff team for sure
- You are looking to draft NHL ready forwards to compete for 3rd/4th line roster spots in the up-coming season.
- Players from NCAA are not opting out from the draft, so anyone the right age is available

Who do you expect to be available at 8, and which forward do you draft with expectations that he could crack the lower lines of the Pro team that very season?

:confused:

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
RMW said:
I have a scenario, I'd like to hear some answers from the more knowledgeable posters...

- You have the eight overall selection in the 2006 NHL entry draft
- You have a playoff team for sure
- You are looking to draft NHL ready forwards to compete for 3rd/4th line roster spots in the up-coming season.
- Players from NCAA are not opting out from the draft, so anyone the right age is available

Who do you expect to be available at 8, and which forward do you draft with expectations that he could crack the lower lines of the Pro team that very season?

:confused:
At 8 it would be tough to find a forward ready to be on an NHL roster. I'm thinking somebody like Kyle Okposo, James Sheppard, Derek Brassard, or Bryan Little MIGHT be available. I don't know that any of them are NHL ready though. I suppose you could hope that Backstrom plummets on draft day, but I don't think that will hapen.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
This is how i responded to this on another board:

I'll ignore that this wouldnt happen but if i had to pick one player i would go with Okposo, although i really dont see any players at 8 stepping straight into the NHL especially with the new UFA rules.

IMO Backstrom is the most NHL ready prospect but i expect him to be gone by 8

Little could also be a possibility b/c he is older.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
ReLyT said:
Little is not NHL ready... although if you have the 8th pick... i'd definitly take him!
Im sure ur right but at 8 Okposo and Little and maybe Sheppard were the all i could think of with even a remote shot at the NHL in a year, and i mean remote.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
vanwychen27 said:
Im sure ur right but at 8 Okposo and Little and maybe Sheppard were the all i could think of with even a remote shot at the NHL in a year, and i mean remote.
I think Sheppard needs two or three years of devlopment time before he's ready for the NHL, while Little and Okposo could play in the NHL next season, atleast Okposo.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
Crosby=Gretzky said:
I think Sheppard needs two or three years of devlopment time before he's ready for the NHL, while Little and Okposo could play in the NHL next season, atleast Okposo.
I don't think there's any way he would be ready for the NHL.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Chris Stewart. Big frame at 6'0, 227, fairly tough kid, and obviously lots of skill. He wouldn't make a significant contribution, but I think he might be physically and mentally capable of playing at the NHL level.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Frolik Maybe. Whatever your team does dont pick Okposo because I want the Wild to get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad