GDT: Draft Lotto - Rollin for Nolan. 8(ish)PM. DEVILS PICK 1ST OVERALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I'll actually be happy if we pick 6th, since that's where we SHOULD be picking (highest odds). If we end up 8th, I'll be pretty pissed since the chances of that is lower than picking 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'll actually be happy if we pick 6th, since that's where we SHOULD be picking (highest odds). If we end up 8th, I'll be pretty pissed since the chances of that is lower than picking 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

That's a good way of looking at it, but it'll still be annoying cause that means a team below us jumped into the top three.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Is Nico so much better then the rest in the top 5 if we end up 2 then trade down if Patrick isn't available.

Yes. If Nico is there we take him, he could even be drafted at #1 himself. Patrick is not a lock at #1. I personally want us to take Hischier at #1. The only potential trade down thats really optimal is after #3, but it all depends on our scouting and how the top 2 panned out. There's talk that a D-Man could go at #2 depending on what team is picking there. Id not mind at all trading down if we could do something like the Niners did to the Bears the other night lol.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You could in theory trade down from 3 if you are high on someone like Mitt (or even someone ranked lower) and someone behind is high on Heskenan or Vilidari.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I absolutely trade down from 3. we dont NEED our pick of the bunch from tier 2. id rather pick up an extra asset

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Is Nico so much better then the rest in the top 5 if we end up 2 then trade down if Patrick isn't available.

No. There is very little separating three similar "traditional" centers in Patrick/Vilardi/Glass and very little separating three "dynamic offensive centers" in Hischier/Mittelstadt/Necas.

However the lottery shakes out, the Devils should have a legitimate shot to draft one of those six, though if they slip into the 6-8 range it's possible they opt for a traditional big scoring RW in Tippett or a high-upside D in Makar.

Even if the Devils win the lottery, a trade-down is possible. Everything I hear has the Canucks really coveting Nolan Patrick. Patrick is a terrific prospect, but he's not Auston Matthews or Connor McDavid, so a trade from the #1 spot is far from an impossibility.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I absolutely trade down from 3. we dont NEED our pick of the bunch from tier 2. id rather pick up an extra asset

Obviously it'll depend what's offered up.

Would be curious what the typical price is to move into the top three or five. Feels like that hasn't happened lately in the draft.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
No. There is very little separating three similar "traditional" centers in Patrick/Vilardi/Glass and very little separating three "dynamic offensive centers" in Hischier/Mittelstadt/Necas.

However the lottery shakes out, the Devils should have a legitimate shot to draft one of those six, though if they slip into the 6-8 range it's possible they opt for a traditional big scoring RW in Tippett or a high-upside D in Makar.

Even if the Devils win the lottery, a trade-down is possible. Everything I hear has the Canucks really coveting Nolan Patrick. Patrick is a terrific prospect, but he's not Auston Matthews or Connor McDavid, so a trade from the #1 spot is far from an impossibility.

Winning and trading down with the Canucks would be great if the Devils:

A) Held them up for a ridiculous haul; &
B) Still were able to pick high enough to get someone at the top of their board.

Any chatter on how much the Canucks would be willing to part with?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

B) Still were able to pick high enough to get someone at the top of their board.

Yeah would be interesting.

They'd probably be willing to deal Virtanen I'd imagine after acquiring both Goldobin and Dahlen in their two deadline day trades. Virtanen would be a big risk but the potential of a high reward on RW could entice the Devils. They only have an extra SJ 4th and already gave up their 5th and 6th so I'm not sure how much they'd be willing to part with picks.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

What could the Canucks possibly offer that would interest us...an unprotected 1st rounder next year and??? They're about as barren as we are.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What could the Canucks possibly offer that would interest us...an unprotected 1st rounder next year and??? They're about as barren as we are.

It would have to be an interesting prospect or young player + their first + another pick.

Don't see them having much else to offer.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It would have to be an interesting prospect or young player + their first + another pick.

Don't see them having much else to offer.

They don't really have that much in young talent. Especially in young talent that they can afford to part with.

It would have to be a pick haul that includes their first.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
And I only see Shero doing it with the intention to either try and land a bigger fish in a trade or trade back into the first.

Really depends on how they feel about the later draft board and how much they can get. Depends where Vanc ends up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad