Draft Lottery rule: max 1 top2 pick in 6-7 years

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The current system is fine, it prevents tanking. The bottom 2 teams aren't even getting a top 3 pick this year ... how much more really needs to be done.

You simply can't just tank for the no.1 or even no.2-3 overall pick anymore.

This is just getting to the point of complaining for complaining sake.

Not all drafts are equal by a long shot either.

Reactions: HavlatMach9

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Maybe something like the OP suggests, but with a caveat that a team could let their 10 minutes pass at the draft to avoid the effects of the rule. So it's 2014 and Florida decides to let all ten minutes pass and Buffalo picks instead. Then Florida picks after Buffalo. Florida is still eligible to get first overall the following year.

Still, there is not going to be a system that makes everyone happy. You do a straight reverse order draft, you will certainly have teams doing what Pittsburgh did at the end of 1984 which was to intentionally ice a minor league team to draft Mario. You do a lottery, some perennially bad teams are going to be unlucky.

Or if you don't like the concept of the draft, the NHL can pretty much be like European soccer where each league has something like five teams that get all of the talent all of the time.

Euro Soccer sucks balls because of that, the same teams all the time having any success.

I already proposed that if a Lottery-winning team doesn't like the top picks at the draft, they could just opt to take their old pick + an extra pick at the end of the 1st round (or some other suitable place)

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I've pretty much had it with the current lottery.

Instead of parity, we are getting ridiculous results to only a few teams (whatever team Hall is playing for)

I'm all for restricting the "luck component", for example to put some rules to cut out the ridiculously lucky results Edm+Njd are getting.

Examples:

-Max 1 Top2 pick in 6-7 years
-Max 2 Top5 picks in a row
-Max 4 years in a row in the top10

You wouldn't have to have that many rules if it gets complicated, even the first one alone would be a good start to begin with.

View attachment 211931

There is a huge difference in picking in the top2 vs 5th-10th, but there isn't that huge of a difference between the 8th and the 16th pick, so it's most important to restrict the top picks.

There have been multiple occasions in which the top2 picks have been almost guaranteed franchise cornerstones / 1a-1b -type of picks, but there has almost never been 3 sure superstars in the top3 of any draft.

1987: Turgeon, Shanahan
1988: Modano, Linden
1990: Nolan, Jagr
1992: Hamrlik, Yashin
1993: Daigle, Pronger
1997: Thornton, Marleau
2001: Kovalchuk, Spezza
2004: Ovechkin, Malkin
2008: Stamkos, Doughty
2009: Tavares, Hedman
2010: Tyler, Taylor
2013: MacKinnon, Barkov
2015: McDavid, Eichel
2016: Laine, Matthews
2019: Hughes, Kakko

This is why I'd say the most important rule would be to limit the top2 picks going to the same teams.

At 3rd-10th overall or something like that there is almost never a sure-fire superstar coming your way.

Where is the chart from?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
This hysteria is funny to me.

System is fine. It balances out so that if you're near the bottom for a long time, you will eventually draft high. What's more important is management, ie. what you do with what you have.

No #1 overall pick can protect dumb managers from ruining a team. It really is the most important position to fill when you start a franchise, the GM. And then the coaching staff. And only then come individual players.

Reactions: egelband

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Lets look at the purpose of the draft:

The draft is meant to sell hope for the franchises that need it the most. The knowledge for fans that, even though your team sucks now, it will have the privilege to pick up a better young player come season's end (or trade that right for assets now).

Lets look at the purpose of the lottery:

The draft lottery exists as to not reward a team for deliberately losing games in order to get better players in the long run. This is only in place for the league to protect itself from teams making the league's product inferior by icing inferior teams.

The proposal does only remove the chance for the teams (or, more accurately, the fanbases) in the greatest need of hope, will not receive it, while it does not deter teams from deliberately losing (ie, tanking) more so than the current lottery already does.

Reactions: Devilsfan992

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
As a fan of a team (Calgary) that in 40 years has never drafted higher than 4th overall and in the only real lottery that mattered ended up moving down (ending up with Tkachuk), I don't think there is anything wrong with the current lottery. I think the odds should go back to having the worse teams get a better chance though.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
every year this comes up I don't mind the current format....maybe add a loser lottery...put the 15th pick in as well...give everyone who finished from 5-15 an entry in the lottery....then just before the top 3 are drawn you expose the loser...LOL

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
The current system is fine, it prevents tanking. The bottom 2 teams aren't even getting a top 3 pick this year ... how much more really needs to be done.

You simply can't just tank for the no.1 or even no.2-3 overall pick anymore.

This is just getting to the point of complaining for complaining sake.

Not all drafts are equal by a long shot either.

The current system is not fine, because it is clearly giving some bad teams wayyy more than other similarly bad teams due to luck.

You shouldn't get to pick 1st overall all the time due to being the worst all the time, and you shouldn't be able to pick 1st or 2nd overall all the time due to just being lucky.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Where is the chart from?

Sportsnet, Canada

Analyzing the value of NHL draft picks - Sportsnet.ca

Made just from points by players from different draft pick locations.

chart4.jpg

You can get similar charts (that the teams actually use in the draft for pick trading) by googling "nhl draft pick value"

Reactions: Sureves

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Eliminated point totals still seems like the best draft determination system

No, you could still tank to be the 1st overall.

If you want that system, the teams should just get more tickets to the Lottery based on their "eliminated points"

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The endless draft lottery witch hunt amuses me. The more people try to "fix" the lottery, the more they complain about how broken it is.

Had people just kept their stupid ideas to themselves none of this would've ever happened.

Reactions: wetcoast

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Is there any evidence to show that otherwise competitive teams were purposefully losing games in order to improve their draft position? Because, having been a hockey fan for over 3 decades, I don't remember that ever being a problem that needed to be solved. The way I remember it, the league wanted to increase interest in the draft among casual fans whose teams that weren't drafting in the top 3, so we got the lottery.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
No, you could still tank to be the 1st overall.

If you want that system, the teams should just get more tickets to the Lottery based on their "eliminated points"

How so? Unless you think professional players are going to suck until they're eliminated, and then turn it on after they miss the playoffs? Not likely

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
cant speak for ottawa, but the kings definitely werent tanking. they just f***ing suck from top to bottom

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
How about no lottery. Worst team is the worst team.

It should be the opposite. Equal odds for everyone. It would make it almost impossible to win multiple picks. None of this tanking and losing on purpose clown show.

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
The best way to do it would be what one poster suggested some time ago:

Teams compete for top picks by accumulating as many points as possible once eliminated from the playoffs. So a team eliminated on the last day of the season has no chance, but this years Ottawa (Col) would have had a good month or two to try and win as many games as they could to claim 1OA.

It discourages tanking and rewards playing to win, even after being eliminated from the playoffs.

The problem with that is the players usually don't give two hoots about the lottery

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The only question I have about elimination points would be selling at the deadline. I guess a team would have to weigh their options but if they had a veteran player or players and say they were being offered 2nd round picks, would they choose to just keep those guys and try to win their way to the top pick. That would be interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad