GDT: Draft Day

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Overall, pretty boring picks. Hope one of these guys manages to show an offensive game that they haven't as of yet.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I'm surprised that Cayden Primeau dropped to the 7th round, a lot of goalies taken before him. Thought he was supposed to be 4th round latest, but can't say I did a lot of reading on him.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
This draft is really worrying to me. I'm not salty about the particular players drafted so much as I'm concerned that the Wings might not have any idea what their needs are. The majority of these defensemen are defensive types, and the forwards are more hard-working guys than anything else.

How on Earth is this team going to put the puck into the net?

Perhaps they realize how bad they are at developing offensive d-men so they are throwing up the white flag and making sure nearly every draft pick is a two way player. Two way player of course, is a eupehmism for being able to play shut down hockey and turtle all over the ice.

Hey, Hey Hockeytown!! :yo:

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Overall grade for Holland and the Wings: D-

This is what we get out of our highest pick in years, and a stockpile of picks?

-Rasmussen at 9 was hilarious. He's gonna be a decent 3rd line center. You don't take decent 3rd line centers in the top 10.

-Lindstrom at 38 was more hilarious. The guy would have been available in the 3rd, we could easily have waited, or traded down if Holland and co. like him that much.

-71 seems way too high for Kotkansalo. Don't know much about him, but there were plenty of better picks.

-Zablocki at 79 is decent. Looks like he has a good goal scoring/grit combination.

-Gallant at 83 was a safe pick. He'll be a bottom 6 center (how many of these do we need? How about drafting some high end skill there guys?)

-Petruzzelli at 88 is my favorite pick they made. He could easily be our best player from this draft.

-Setkov at 100? wtf? who...? this guy would have been there in the 7th, no doubt about it.

-Cole Fraser at 131 is a boring pick. He'll be AT BEST a #6 D. Why not gamble here on high end skill??

-Jack Adams at 162. I can live with this. It's a bit of a gamble on an overager, his numbers were impressive.

-Webb at 164. who in the actual hell is this guy? I do tons of draft research, never even heard of anyone mentioning him anywhere...Another guy who AT ABSOLUTE BEST is a 6/7 D

-Gilmour at 193 is fine. Gamble on a smaller forward, who knows.

Overall : :rant::shakehead:cry:

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
We shall see in a few years, I don't get wrapped up in "draft" grades and other nonsense from the so called fake experts. Nobody really knows what's going to happen and who will shine and who will be a disaster. I am glad we didn't draft any Euro Midgets. Finally Holland sees the writing on the wall that you can't win with a team full of 5 foot 5 inch 140 lb euros who are afraid of their own shadow.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
We shall see in a few years, I don't get wrapped up in "draft" grades and other nonsense from the so called fake experts. Nobody really knows what's going to happen and who will shine and who will be a disaster. I am glad we didn't draft any Euro Midgets. Finally Holland sees the writing on the wall that you can't win with a team full of 5 foot 5 inch 140 lb euros who are afraid of their own shadow.
Tell that to the smallest team in the league.

It might be hard, though, because they're so busy partying with the cup.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I'll say this: the future is bright. Just as long as you ignore the dark long cave we're entering.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
i take Lane Zablocki as summing up our entire draft here just with his own name. on paper it seems we have oversized bottom 6ers and shot blocking defensive d-men. wish we'd gone down the Shooty McSniper or Passi Creative route instead.

not gonna judge this draft for a few years. not like i've seen any of these guys play. however, at first glance it doesn't look terribly promising as far as making an effort to uncover a top line centre or top 2 d-man goes. the apparent lack of offensive upside is disappointing. Vilardi, Necas and Liljegren all have the potential to become stars, whereas Rasmussen doesn't seem to. his trend seems to have continued all the way down the draft. oh well, we'll see...

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Redwingzzz: "-Webb at 164. who in the actual hell is this guy? I do tons of draft research, never even heard of anyone mentioning him anywhere...Another guy who AT ABSOLUTE BEST is a 6/7 D"

First: Who is this guy? Then: he's at best a 6/7 d.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Overall grade for Holland and the Wings: D-

This is what we get out of our highest pick in years, and a stockpile of picks?

-Rasmussen at 9 was hilarious. He's gonna be a decent 3rd line center. You don't take decent 3rd line centers in the top 10.

-Lindstrom at 38 was more hilarious. The guy would have been available in the 3rd, we could easily have waited, or traded down if Holland and co. like him that much.

-71 seems way too high for Kotkansalo. Don't know much about him, but there were plenty of better picks.

-Zablocki at 79 is decent. Looks like he has a good goal scoring/grit combination.

-Gallant at 83 was a safe pick. He'll be a bottom 6 center (how many of these do we need? How about drafting some high end skill there guys?)

-Petruzzelli at 88 is my favorite pick they made. He could easily be our best player from this draft.

-Setkov at 100? wtf? who...? this guy would have been there in the 7th, no doubt about it.

-Cole Fraser at 131 is a boring pick. He'll be AT BEST a #6 D. Why not gamble here on high end skill??

-Jack Adams at 162. I can live with this. It's a bit of a gamble on an overager, his numbers were impressive.

-Webb at 164. who in the actual hell is this guy? I do tons of draft research, never even heard of anyone mentioning him anywhere...Another guy who AT ABSOLUTE BEST is a 6/7 D

-Gilmour at 193 is fine. Gamble on a smaller forward, who knows.

Overall : :rant::shakehead:cry:

I don't know what the Wings plans for Webb are, but when he was younger I always thought he was more effective as a winger than a D.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Man, Arizona had the kind of draft I wanted Detroit to have:

1 23 23 ARI MIN-ARI PIERRE-OLIVIER JOSEPH D
2 13 44 ARI PHI-ARI FILIP WESTERLUND D
3 7 69 ARI DET-SJS-ARI MACKENZIE ENTWISTLE RW
3 13 75 ARI PHI-ARI NATE SCHNARR C CAN
3 20 82 ARI STL-EDM-ARI CAMERON CROTTY D CAN
4 15 108 ARI NYI-PHI-ARI NOEL HOEFENMAYER D CAN
5 2 126 ARI VAN-EDM-ARI MICHAEL KAROW D USA
5 4 128 ARI TYLER STEENBERGEN C CAN
7 4 190 ARI ERIK WALLI WALTERHOLM RW SWE

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Wow this draft was bad and we had the highest picks in decades plus more (remember being low in the standings helps in later rounds)

D+

Also the goalie pick was bad. He had good reg season numbers and then fell apart for the few playoff games

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Perhaps they realize how bad they are at developing offensive d-men so they are throwing up the white flag and making sure nearly every draft pick is a two way player. Two way player of course, is a eupehmism for being able to play shut down hockey and turtle all over the ice.

Hey, Hey Hockeytown!! :yo:
They're paving the way for a tippet like coach and bore to death play for a regulation tie style.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Did HÃ¥kan only get to pick one guy, the swede that no one heard of with an too early pick used?

Hakan has been striking out for years now.
Lindstrom is probably his "off the board" pick,
unless Kenny just picks players with similar last names to the star he had once (which is totally possible, since he lost his mind)

canyon1

Jun 23, 2017
The theme with the draft was all tall defense minded players. I don't know much about any of these picks but from the board it seems like this draft really blew it for us. Only time will really tell but I am not going to hold my breath over this draft just from what I have read. Now it looks like we need to offer Yzerman the farm to come back home where he is a legend. I'm talking Mike Babcock money and length of contract with his pick at staff and coach. I watched the entire draft for the first time and it just looked like he was one step ahead of most teams with not a care in the world as to what the other 30 teams did.

Someone needs to educate me though honestly I need to be educated. the Griffins just won the championship but yet we don't draft well. Just by looking at that it seems like we do pretty well with developing players. Please let me know as to what I am missing. Kind of interesting that the Crunch are the Lightening affiliates as well. This is going to be a fun rivalry unfold even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad