GDT: Draft Day Part II

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
so you're very happy with 3 o the picks (so, that's highly above average) but unhappy with 1 pick (below average) so you gave a VERY below average letter grade?
not sure that's how grades work.

Here you go:

http://artandtech.osu.edu/4101/lettergrades.html

It's very subjective but my grade was relative to expectations when I sat down to watch the draft, beer in hand, hot pizza in front of me, and no one bugging me. I knew that Laine was a 90% probability, so that was already factored in to my expectations. I had a short list for #22 and #36, with a number of those still available when Chevy traded down. Needless to say, Stanley was not on that list.
At that moment in time, when I heard there had been a trade involving Winnipeg, my already high expectations peaked...and it was a very rapid fall thereafter. I turned off the TV, packed up the pizza and carried on with life.
On Day 2, Green and Berdin were fine, but my expectations had already been squelched. Can you see how C+, where C traditionally means "adequate but ordinary", would fit a draft that I thought would be extraordinary?

BTW, I thought Arizona's Chayka was brilliant; thought the Oilers got more than what was expected in Pulju; thought Calgary came away with a great goalie and great power F; and Philly, as might be evident, did some great horse-trading and good drafting. Those were the real winners relative to my pre-draft expectations.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
If we were to go back and rate Chevy's trade deadline, I'd give him an A. He got Dano and Chi 1st for Ladd at a time when teams were extremely reluctant to give up a 1st.

Now that the draft has passed, we know that the trade ended up as follows

Dano
Stanley

for

Ladd
Wpg 2nd

I find this less impressive than the expected result.

I think the point you are missing is we are now at minor tweaks instead of trying to fill a gaping void.

Ladd was gone and we got something for him as he was not signing for what we were offering.
We could have repeated the Taters incident and we would never hear the end of the *****ing and moaning had he walked. Chevy took the best deal offered and converted that to a player with potential and a prospect with some potential.
There is always risk, and no one bats 100%, so you don't like his 2nd pick...no biggie, the scouts thought that was the best player there.

Realistic expectations...rare commodity in these parts. Every teams forum have posters that think their team's polished turds are worth their weight in gold. Yet can trade for other teams top players with said turds.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
so you're very happy with 3 o the picks (so, that's highly above average) but unhappy with 1 pick (below average) so you gave a VERY below average letter grade?
not sure that's how grades work.

I'm happy with the Green and Berdin picks for where they were taken but it's likely neither becomes a regular NHLer. IMO the Jets probably only end up with 1 NHL player from this draft, and that one was a gimme.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
BTW, I thought Arizona's Chayka was brilliant; thought the Oilers got more than what was expected in Pulju; thought Calgary came away with a great goalie and great power F; and Philly, as might be evident, did some great horse-trading and good drafting. Those were the real winners relative to my pre-draft expectations.

So Arizona reached @7 and took on a salary cap hit to pick a falling player @16 ... yup that's brilliant and I bet they will be tanking at TDL this year and of course look brilliant next draft with extra picks.
As for the Oilers how many high picks have the had the last 5 years and still can't make the playoffs.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
So Arizona reached @7 and took on a salary cap hit to pick a falling player @16 ... yup that's brilliant and I bet they will be tanking at TDL this year and of course look brilliant next draft with extra picks.
As for the Oilers how many high picks have the had the last 5 years and still can't make the playoffs.
:laugh: I should've known you wouldn't take too well to Chayka. He's one of those know-nothing analytics types who looks at numbers, as well as being a former hockey player.
Here is a human interest story on him. I was quite skeptical at first because of his age and inexperience, but he really redeemed himself for me on draft night.
Amazing poise and savvy for a 27 year old.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/john-chayka-nhl-1.3577346

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
Hopefully the people on here on full blast about the Stanley pick are the same ones who blindly defended Pavs for the first few years :sarcasm:

Look at the system now vs the system we inhereted. Did any of you have an opportunity to sit in on the Stanley combine interview? Are any of you more qualified than our pro scouts? We already know the emphasis the organization places on character (and frankly I'm glad we do), and I'm sure thats a massive piece missing from everyones metrics.

Give the kid a chance. Our management has a good track record drafting character and potential. Maybe, just maybe there is something our pros see in this kid that we aren't privy to from our tv's?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
:laugh: I should've known you wouldn't take too well to Chayka. He's one of those know-nothing analytics types who looks at numbers, as well as being a former hockey player.
Here is a human interest story on him. I was quite skeptical at first because of his age and inexperience, but he really redeemed himself for me on draft night.
Amazing poise and savvy for a 27 year old.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/john-chayka-nhl-1.3577346

Yup.

I do find it interesting people look at Dubas, Chayka, and Rowe as analytics people.
No. They use analytics, but they are hockey people first who learned about the power of analytics and added it to their toolkit.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If I were to rank the Jets draft overall, I would give it a B-.

Laine pick was A+ for value
Stanley pick and trade gets an F for value.
Luke Green pick for me was an A-. Would have picked Green over Stanley in a heartbeat.

I don't know much about the rest of our picks, but it seems like we got good value with Stallard and Berdin. Cederholm seems like a long shot.

Overall, one hugely disappointing pick and trade isn't enough to call this draft a bust at this point. I think we got good enough value in day two of the draft to give Chevy a B-.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
According to the NP we're the gold standard for drafting

Canadian NHL teams’ draft results grade well given all the high picks

The Winnipeg Jets continue to be the gold standard for drafting say three scouts surveyed by Postmedia

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...t-results-grade-well-given-all-the-high-picks

Winnipeg Jets | Grade: A+

Winnipeg is considered the gold standard when it comes to the draft, as evidenced by a cupboard that is overflowing with NHL-ready prospects. This year was no different.

Patrik Laine, who was the MVP at the world championship, is considered the best pure goal-scorer since Alex Ovechkin and is expected to jump right into the Jets lineup. But watch out for Logan Stanley (18th overall), a 6-foot-7 defenceman who had scouts imagining what he might look like playing alongside 6-foot-8 Tyler Myers.

“If they held hands (and) put their sticks out, they can touch each board,†Malloy joked. “So how are you going to get around them?â€

The Jets, who had one of the biggest rosters in the NHL this season, stayed with the size theme by selecting 6-foot-3 defenceman Jacob Cederholm (97th) and took a flier on Russian goalie Mikhail Berdin (157th) with their final pick.

“I say this year in and year out, the Winnipeg Jets do a fantastic job,†Button said. “They don’t make missteps in the areas where you can’t afford to make misstep.â€

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

The Winnipeg Jets continue to be the gold standard for drafting say three scouts surveyed by Postmedia

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...t-results-grade-well-given-all-the-high-picks

Winnipeg is considered the gold standard when it comes to the draft, as evidenced by a cupboard that is overflowing with NHL-ready prospects. This year was no different.

Patrik Laine, who was the MVP at the world championship, is considered the best pure goal-scorer since Alex Ovechkin and is expected to jump right into the Jets lineup. But watch out for Logan Stanley (18th overall), a 6-foot-7 defenceman who had scouts imagining what he might look like playing alongside 6-foot-8 Tyler Myers.

“If they held hands (and) put their sticks out, they can touch each board,†Malloy joked. “So how are you going to get around them?â€

The Jets, who had one of the biggest rosters in the NHL this season, stayed with the size theme by selecting 6-foot-3 defenceman Jacob Cederholm (97th) and took a flier on Russian goalie Mikhail Berdin (157th) with their final pick.

“I say this year in and year out, the Winnipeg Jets do a fantastic job,†Button said. “They don’t make missteps in the areas where you can’t afford to make missteps.â€

He is grading the Jets and the Leafs on reputation than the quality of their draft. Neither team had an 'A' draft unless you weight their 1 and 2 picks really really heavy. Both teams had mediocre-bad drafts after their 1st picks

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
He is grading the Jets and the Leafs on reputation than the quality of their draft. Neither team had an 'A' draft unless you weight their 1 and 2 picks really really heavy. Both teams had mediocre-bad drafts after their 1st picks

I never said I agreed with it. But it's similar to Edmonton last year with McDavid. The value of that one pick makes everything else kind of a side bar.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

Pronman said A. I Read his report.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002

In a world where 25-40 guys per draft ever play three full seasons in the league, you should put some weight behind the sure-fire ones.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think this draft ranks as a "B-", or so in terms of performance.

Laine was a no-brainer, but a brilliant acquisition.

Stanley was a bad move / pick, in mind.

Green looks like a very good pick.

I actually like Cederholm. Maybe it's because I'm partial to good skating Swedish defensemen.

Berdin looks like a good choice.

Stallard was fine.

In terms of results, this can only be an A+ because of Laine. I think he's a franchise altering talent.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I think I said C plus and that's probably right for me.

Maybe could have given a B because laine is awesome and I do live the green pick and the goalie pick.

Stallard and csderhom don't move the dial in either direction and we all know how i feel about Stanley.

I will say the Stanley pick has some entertainment value because though I dislike the pick it is very interesting

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

“I say this year in and year out, the Winnipeg Jets do a fantastic job,†Button said. “They don’t make missteps in the areas where you can’t afford to make missteps.â€

Interesting to me that he mentioned Cederholm and not Green.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Anyone have video of Redwing table after trade was announced? It would prove if they were after Stanly

I'm guessing not, but I too would very much like to know what they were thinking. Many of these scouts are friends and they do talk. I suspect the Jets had a very good idea of what was going to happen.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Cederholm is on the receiving end of quite a bit of scorn, and I honestly don't know why. He's a fourth round pick who may be playing in the SEL next season.:dunno:

I actually like Cederholm, but he is sn odd mention over green. Green was drafted higher, scores more and skates better. Cederholm is bigger. I do like that he is getting work in a men's league.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I found it interesting that after a heavy foray into the USHL (4) last year, we went CHL (3) and Europe (3) this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad